Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
What to tow with

So MY wife and I recently purchased model 831 bhss travel trailer its a 34 footer home with two slides and a dry weight for towing purpose of 7100lbs dry weight. So with this said and done what suggestions on a tow vehicle can i get from the group. Im so confused on so many ideas being thrown at me and i figure since lots of you guys do this i would get a more educated answer from here. Hope to get some responce thanks in advance

CasadeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found this in the unanswered posts forum.

Since your asking what type of vehicle to tow with, you will probably get a better response if you post this question in the 'Towing and Tow Vehicles forum'.

You'll definitely get all the in-depth info you'll need from the knowledgeable ones that hang out over there.

Good luck to you,

Rich & Patricia
00 F350 7.3L___89 Terry Resort 25.5
___03 Klamath 30hp

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good suggestion and as you see it's done.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
With the length alone I would say you are in 2500/250 territory. 7100# DRY weight doesn't tell us much more than you are already at or near 1500/150 limits. Everything you add to the trailer has weight and it all adds up fast! Options added to the trailer are NOT included in that DRY weight. Take it empty and get it weighed and you will see it already surpasses the DRY weight. Half ton trucks come with P series tires for comfort and the sidewalls are not stiff enough to counter sway caused by passing vehicles. 2500/250 series trucks come with LT tires and also weigh a bit more than half ton trucks and that gives even more stability to that large sail you will be towing. Believe me, it will catch wind. Mine is only 27' and I feel wind with my 2500. It was worse when I had my GMC 1500.

There is a Ford guy here that will tell you what package to get for the F150 that is capable of towing your trailer. But take heed, you will need the package recommended.

A good WDH (weight distribution hitch) will be necessary also. Remember, you get what you pay for, pay what your safety is worth! More recommendations to follow.
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Don't make the mistake of asking for personal opinions from tow expert wannabes. Pick the make tow vehicle you want. Read the tow specs from the manufacturer. If you find a configuration that will handle your trailer then that is the one you need. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
From personal experience of towing a 7300lb loaded 31' TT with 2010 F150 with MaxTow and 1857lbs of CCC, IMO go 3/4 ton.

A 7100lb dry weight TT will be north of 8000lbs when loaded. That puts the tongue weight between 800-1200lbs. Figure 1000lbs for speculation purposes. Now figure out what weight you will be putting in the truck. Passengers, dogs, firewood, etc. Add that to the 1000lb tongue weight and that's the minimum CCC you need in the truck.

A 3/4 ton will be a better choice as you won't have to worry about what you can or can't bring and you won't be back here posting a question about sway issues.

If you do choose a 1/2 ton truck be very careful which one you choose. Not all 1/2 tons are created equal. Some have really low payload ratings. With that heavy of a TT you'll want at least 3.73 rear gears, 1800lbs of payload and a longer wheel base. It pretty much boils down to the fact that you need the biggest badest 1/2 ton or any 3/4 ton will do.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by CasadeFlores View Post
So MY wife and I recently purchased model 831 bhss travel trailer its a 34 footer home with two slides and a dry weight for towing purpose of 7100lbs dry weight. So with this said and done what suggestions on a tow vehicle can i get from the group.
Assuming the TT is a Forest River Flagstaff, the closest current model I can find is the 831bhds. Dry weight plus cargo capacity is 8,650 pounds, and with the normal 13% tongue weight, then wet and loaded TT could have as much as 1,125 pounds hitch weight.

So you need a tow vehicle that can handle at least 1,125 pounds of hitch weight, plus the normal weight of your family, tools, and "stuff" that will be in the tow vehicle, without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle. That eliminates about 99 percent of all so-called half-ton pickups and all the current SUVs. So you're looking at a three-quarter ton pickup.

Assuming you need the interior capacity of a CrewCab pickup, then the tow vehicle is going to weigh about 8,000 pounds before you tie onto the trailer. 8,000 pounds wet and loaded pickup plus 8,650 pounds wet and loaded trailer means the pickup must have at least 16,650 pounds GCWR. 8,000 pounds wet and loaded pickup plus 1,125 pounds hitch weight means a 4x2 pickup must have at least 9,125 pounds GVWR, and if it's a 4x4 that goes up to about 9,500 pounds. Any late-model Ford F-250 exceeds those weight requirements, so that makes shopping easy. And I suspect most GM and Ram 2500 pickups would also exceed those specs.

So you're looking at an F-250 or GM or Ram 2500 pickup. No need to worry about which options you get, because any late-model F-250 or GM/Ram 2500 will have enough power and weight capacity to tow an 8,650 pound TT.

Another option would be a "one-ton" van, such as the Ford E-350 or GM/Ram 3500. You probably won't find one "properly equipped" the way you want it and that can tow an 8,650 pound TT without exceeding any of the weight limits. But you can order one that has exactly the specs and options you want. You can even order a diesel engine in the 2015 Ford Transit passenger van.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
I have the exact same trailer 831BHDS. And Towed it first two years short distances including family of 6 with RAM 1500. To much trailer for that truck! This year I replaced it with RAM 2500Diesel. Perfect match, and I've pulled it for about 8000 miles this year. Best part is I can drive a 16 hour day and not feel totaly beat up and frazzeled. Diesel is great, because I can go about 300 miles rather than 160 (previous truck) before fueling. But now that I've owned it, and believe me I really wanted it and had to lay down all the reasons why diesel was the only option, But now that I've used it, if I were only doing local trips then a gas 3/4 truck would not be a problem, and probably cheeper in the long run. The down side to the 2500 is it is not a fun daily driver, its a rough ride and too high (looks cool but too high).

Becuase the ride is so rough you might consider (if you need for a daily driver) GM's new 1500 trucks with the 6.2 v8 with max tow. Or Just posted this week is 2015 ford f150's will have 3/4 ton capacities.

But an ordinary 1/2 ton truck isn't a suitable tow vehicle.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Get the new Ram 2500 6.4 with the new rear coil suspension. No rough ride. 3000lbs of payload. FWIW I DD a 12 Ram 2500 CTD CC LB and find the ride good. Some people need a Cadillac truck. If you want to get serious about towing skip the 1/2 ton cushy stuff and man up with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
F-250 or gm2500 and you want be sorry.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
I have a 8 month old 2014 2500 ram laramie (a cadillac truck) cummins crew cab 4x4 with the new rear coil spring suspension and comparied to the ram 1500 (rear coil) which I drove 4 years prior there is a huge difference in ride. The 2500 is bouncy and rough when unloaded. Great with 9000# of trailer attached. It is what it is. And its a vehicle made for towing and not driving empty around town. In my opionon, the coil rear suspension isnt' the pancea that one might think it is, and trade off, with that coil supension the truck is so damn high i keep a lader in the back of the truck to climb in and out of it. But I'm short and fat and growing old.

I keep the tires at the posted PSI (70-80) and were I to drop the PSI, i'm sure I would get a softer ride, but then I would have the deal with the nagging tire monitor each time the truck is started.

I looked at the b-pillar sticker last night and cargo and passangers should not excede 2020 lbs, so I doubt anything but a boring regular cab 2x4 ram 2500 truck would have a 3000# payload. I'll sure you get more payload with the 6.4L gas engine since that CTD is a heavy engine.

Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote