Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

What tonneau cover do you love?

Looking for advice. I bought a 2015 Ram (without the Ram Box) and am looking at hard rolling tonneau covers. So far the Retrax Pro seems to be the best out there, but almost $1800.

Anyone have one and an opinion? Or do you have another to recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

$1800 dollars !!!!!! Does it load and unload all the cargo/sh----t for you ?? I just got a 2013 w/Rambox and not happy with the $490 for a basic folding soft cover, the Backflip Hard Cover is only $800 plus mark.

Guess i"m too old and watching the bank account too much ! But there,s not a lot to watch, Rather spend it on camping !

Jim

Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

I have the RetraxOne and it works quietly, smoothly and reliably but I wouldn't go so far as to say I love it.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bak flip works great. it is locked when tail gate locks. Plus it does not take up any valuable space in the box as any many of the other roll up type.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

What tonneau cover do you love?

I had a Bakflip before and liked it a lot but it took up about 6-7 inches of maneuvering space while backing up my 5th wheel. I had a short bed F250 with a Superglide hitch and it would get very close or hit if I turned really tight. I would consistently get within 1-2 inches of the bed cover while backing my 5th wheel. My toy hauler is a 2011 so it's not as cut out in the front as the newer ones.

I recently traded trucks and got the Retrax Pro and much prefer it over the Bakflip. Bakflip is good, Retrax Pro is much better in my opinion. Lockable, can just shut the tailgate without having to lift bed cover up, can also stop and lock cover at any point along length of the bed. Plus, it doesn't take up any of the maneuvering space while backing up. They are expensive but worth it I think. I bought mine online and was able to get a discount by asking.

One thing to watch out for is hitch height and bed cover, make sure it'll close with your hitch. I had a Superglide 2900 before and it would not have fit with my Retrax Pro. I think all the other Superglides would have fit fine, they sit lower. My Curt Q20 fits fine with the Retrax and its adjustable and up to top level and still fits. I just bought a Hensley TS3 with a 3" spacer and it's too high. I had to order a 2" spacer so I can close my bed cover.

FYI, I gave $1519 (free shipping) for my Retrax Pro, 8 foot bed. Bought it from Tonneau Covers World.com They were great to deal with, excellent customer service. They also sell their own "Gator Trax". I believe it's made by Retrax but sold under their own brand name, Gator. It's quite a bit cheaper but they didn't made it for the 8 foot bed a couple of months ago, not sure about now. I believe it's pretty much identical to the Retrax.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Roll N Lock- I BOUGHT MINE USED ON CRAIG'S LIST FOR $300

VEY HAPPY WITH IT
Old 04-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #7

I'm very happy with my soft folding cover. Light weight, easy to completely remove, keeps everything dry, lowest cost to own and no real installation required.
And most importantly, you don't lose bed width to the rails.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I'm very happy with my soft folding cover. Light weight, easy to completely remove, keeps everything dry, lowest cost to own and no real installation required.
And most importantly, you don't lose bed width to the rails.
X2 Mine is 5 years old and still looks great Mine is a tri-fold, picked it up on ebay new for 1/2 the price of our local truck shop.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

I am very lucky as my father in law is a supervisor at one of the major factories. I have had them all. Imo. Worst are the hard trifold styles. Middle would be soft trifold style and by far at the top would be the truxedo roll up Velcro style. The truxedo roll up takes away no space and rolls all the way up to your back cab window. At the moment I have a trifold soft cover and I hate it. You can't access anything between the 5er hitch and cab and you can't see the hitch when hooking up. I will be going back to the truxedo. I almost forgot, my brother has a retractable style hard cover and he can't stand it. If he loads anything in the bed that is more than half the depth of the bed the cover is inoperable without first unloading everything. Just my thoughts they are all nice but I constantly use my truck bed and this is experience.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Talking ^x2

Last truck had the retrax on it. They look nice but take up too much space @ the front of the box. And eventually, the stop/lock in any position starts to wear out. Not good for a rather spendy cover. Plus, the color gets sun faded over time so you end up waxing/polishing it just like your truck to protect it. Plus you have to drill holes in the bed for the drain tubes that attach to the bottom of the retrax box.With my new ram I went with a soft vinyl roll up (truxedo truxport) and couldn't be happier. It's more water tight than the Retrax ever was, lighter, rolls all the way to the back window and is flat across the top. And it locks on both sides at the tailgate. No covered wagon look either. IMHO,not a better cover out there for less than $250 shipped.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #11

I did not have to drill holes for my Retrax Pro Cover, maybe that's truck specific. Guess it's just personal choice, I'm thrilled with my Retrax. It does take up a little space at the front of the bed but doesn't limit my turning ability like the Bakflip did. But, having a long bed now helps out a lot so it's not as big of an issue. I think they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #12

Been looking for one for my 2013 w/rambox, there's not a lot of choices !
Old 04-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Close to pulling the pin on a Truxedo Rollup, made to fit the Rambox.Son In Law says no, the velcro wheres out. Like the one side release and the full use of the bed, vs. a trifold. Going to call Truxedo Monday and confirm the lifetime warrentee applies to the velcro ?
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

Purchased a Bakflip2 last year for ~$900. LOVE IT.

It's a hard top, tri-fold cover... That can be locked open at any fold, AND folds up against the front of the truck bed so it doesn't take up any room and I can drive my quad in there without any issues. Lock the tailgate, and unless they've got a hammer/chisel/prybar thieves aren't getting in there.