Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

What tow vehicle for a heavy fifth wheel.

If your getting a heavy 5th wheel you need a dually and will be much happier towing if you have one in my opinion. If you want a smooth tow experience get an air ride hitch. If you get a new dually I don't think you really have to worry about the 5th wheel you purchase. As far as brands, look at all of them and pick the one you like the best. Most people are biased to what they own.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #16

I talked about a dually because the title is 'Heavy' 5th wheel. A 3/4 ton truck really can not tow a very heavy if any 5th wheel. A 5th wheel will not throw a dually truck around like a TT will throw a smaller truck around.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=fiddleddd;2792772Granted, the roads across this country need a LOT of work, but still......we were both being jostled around a lot while traveling. We were pulling a 30' TT. I've heard it's easier towing a Fifth Wheel, but still.....I can't imagine the truck riding any smoother over bumpy roads.[/QUOTE]

You've identified half of the issue of "smooth ride". The other is that you simply cannot throw a bunch of weight on any vehicle and expect a smooth, unloaded, modern car or SUV ride.

If you had been towing or hauling thirty years ago, and remember how that felt, you'd be happy to get the ride we can get now, even at maximum loading.

I don't know how you can test drive a truck to get a feel for how it feels loaded to the gills and going down the road.

I'm only pulling a twenty four foot TT, but using a 2500 truck, and I'm grateful it rides as well as it does. I had no idea how it would drive when I bought, I only hoped it would be half as nice as it actually is.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Get one of these and tow what you want....plus a RAM (jk, nice truck Cummins!)
My 2016 F450 Platinum
Thanks!

The F450 and ALL RAM trucks are SAE J2807 certified.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #19

RAM withy the factory rear air ride rides very nice! Also maintains the same ride height up to rear axle rating that is 9,750#.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Get one of these and tow what you want....plus a RAM (jk, nice truck Cummins!)
My 2016 F450 Platinum
Awesome truck, I want one.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont worry so much about the effect of a dually. Yes they may be wider and longer than a regular vehicle but . . . . with the new steering that comes with them you can park almost anywhere you need to.

We use our 450 for shopping, going to the golf course, etc.

Sometimes you may need to park near the edge of the parking lot for total ease of parking however it is only a few steps farther.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #22

We run a 2012 Ram dually 4WD and a 16,000# 5th. It is also the daily driver, and has been from Alaska (4x) to Arizona, and not always with the trailer. She says it is the most comfortable riding vehicle she has ever been in. I am told the newer ones are even better. Price was a prime consideration, but so was the torque curve on the in-line 6 compared to the V-8 offerings from Ford and Chevy, and the Cummins history and reputation. So yes, I am a partisan, and those ar the reasons.

All trucks have the same width issue, provided you start by saying you don't want to rip the mirrors off your truck. The mirrors are wider than any part of the truck, especially when towing. Parking a dually can be an issue if it is crew cab long box, but use a a spot further out and walk a bit more.

Some complain about "chucking" with a 5th. Use a MorRyde pin box to minimize or eliminate that.

When you get to the truck buying stage, look at Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID, they deal in both Chevy and Ram and will make a deal over the phone and have and can install any accessory. A full length running board is essential on a dually if you hope to operate the hitch mechanism.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #23

Great feedback going on here by all.
You really didn’t mention the the type of hitch etc. you were using on your 30’ TT? A TT that size can indeed be a white knuckle experience with even the stoutest 250/2500 series trucks. There are so many variables in axle weights, tongue weights etc. simple leverage can do it’s thing, imagine the tail waging the dog.
5th wheel trailers do indeed tend to have better characteristics due to the pin being over the TV axle. Especially in regard to cross winds and interference by large passing over the road trucks compared to load equalized “stabilized” TT hitching.
All types of trailer truck combinations can “chuck” it’s the nature of two objects of near equal mass (maybe not so equal) bounding over obstacles with minute velocity changes. Every combination can be slightly different. Sometimes the give is in the suspension and pin box, hitch, sometimes it’s in your seat or headrest. Research who’s getting good results.
Many coaches equipped with Mor/ryde IS type axles and pin boxes do very well. Not selling, just an observation.
Aside from obvious capacity ratings (check those door frame stickers) You may think of the increased stability DRW’s offer in towing situations as less fatiguing as well as the redundancy in a tire failure situation. There is also the merit of extra patches of stopping power where the rubber meets the road.
All are worth more than frequenting a drive through line, IMHO.
Another area where modern diesel trucks have vastly improved in safety is very efficient engine braking, joined with beefier computer controlled 6-sp transmissions and turbocharger vanes. Set the cruise control a enjoy the lovely scenery!
Brands appear to be so competitive no need to even go there. They are all NICE!
Frequent tire pressure checks and adjustments to "loaded conditions" can also be helpful with ride harshness while not towing. But it's extra work.
Take your time and research as much as possible on the topic and prioritize your actual needs. Many of the aspects of this lifestyle are compromises. Best travel wishes.

Recommended unbiased reading about tow vehicles:

PickupTrucks.com - Special Reports

J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 AM   #24

I pull a 15000 Lb Fifth Wheel behind my 2013 Chevrolet Dually Duramax. It pulls the fifth wheel great, seats are comfortable and ride is not bad. It just took a little getting used to the tugging that a fifth wheel that size can do on a not so smooth road.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #25

I would say my dually pulling a 5th wheel goes down the road great. The trailer has Mor-Ryde suspension and cushioned hitch pin. Most of the time the rise is great.

Always a 'But' - there are certain sections or road where the road joints and the wheel base of my rig will meet in such a way to create an slight bucking. Nothing too bad but not smooth like most of the time.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #26

I will agree with a few of the others here and say look more closely at the F-series and the Rams. Bang for your buck would go to either of them. I am slightly biased towards the Ram but both are awesome truck lines with astounding capability. GM has never really popped up on my radar only because we had one too many sour experiences with our dealership.
I did 12 months of extensive research and test drives and ended in a Ram. I love it. Mine is only a 2500, but the 3500 is identical for fit, finish and options. The F-series were all very nice and capable as well, but we found the interior to be very underwhelming. This is all personal preference.

The Ford is coming out with a major refresh in 2017 that supposedly will be best/ highest in class. If Ford is the choice, I would be inclined to move quicker because if it follows the F150, it will also have the highest sticker price in its class too :/
Most Ram dealerships tend to be extremely aggressive on pricing so I have found. They want to see those trucks on the road at any cost.

As for DRW vs. SRW I have no experience to offer other than get what is necessary to handle your 5th and just get used to it. Sometimes comfort and safety/ capability do not go hand in hand. The Ram 3500 has optional air suspension out back and that is a game changer in my eyes. Not sure if it can be had on a DRW though. You'd have to check.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I will agree with a few of the others here and say look more closely at the F-series and the Rams. Bang for your buck would go to either of them. I am slightly biased towards the Ram but both are awesome truck lines with astounding capability. GM has never really popped up on my radar only because we had one too many sour experiences with our dealership.
I did 12 months of extensive research and test drives and ended in a Ram. I love it. Mine is only a 2500, but the 3500 is identical for fit, finish and options. The F-series were all very nice and capable as well, but we found the interior to be very underwhelming. This is all personal preference.

The Ford is coming out with a major refresh in 2017 that supposedly will be best/ highest in class. If Ford is the choice, I would be inclined to move quicker because if it follows the F150, it will also have the highest sticker price in its class too :/
Most Ram dealerships tend to be extremely aggressive on pricing so I have found. They want to see those trucks on the road at any cost.

As for DRW vs. SRW I have no experience to offer other than get what is necessary to handle your 5th and just get used to it. Sometimes comfort and safety/ capability do not go hand in hand. The Ram 3500 has optional air suspension out back and that is a game changer in my eyes. Not sure if it can be had on a DRW though. You'd have to check.

My 3500 RAM DRW has the factory rear air ride and works and rides great!
Old 10-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
My 3500 RAM DRW has the factory rear air ride and works and rides great!
There's the answer for that! I have heard nothing but praise for that system. The coils I have on my 2500 are nice, but had I bought new I would have opted for that. Since it was used- beggars can't be choosers.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow