Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
There's the answer for that! I have heard nothing but praise for that system. The coils I have on my 2500 are nice, but had I bought new I would have opted for that. Since it was used- beggars can't be choosers.
Over 5K pin weight. Actually closer to 6K.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #30

That is a really nice looking setup.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #31

Get a Ford F-350 or F450 and you will be happy. Unfortunately Ram has seen their quality suffer over the last few years and they are no longer recommended by Consumer Reports. To some that is no big deal but is says something about Ram. The Ford is the standard that all try to keep up with. None have done it so far.
If you are serious about having a tow vehicle that is capable of towing a large 5th wheel and maybe a larger second one then you should consider a Volvo or Freightliner class 8 or medium duty version.
I saw several of these this summer and they have the capacity to tow and also to stop a large 5th wheel. If you get in a jam towing with a 305 or 450 and need to stop quickly and under control you will quickly find the short comings of such a small tow vehicle. The ride is superior and you can feel confident that you are not under capacity. The prices are not that much different either. Compare to a Platinum F450.
So many choices and so hard to pick th right vehicle. It's a fun process so get out there and enjoy the process.
Take my advice and others with a grain of salt, form your own educated opinion based on needed capacity and desire to protect your loved ones and other drivers also.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Get a Ford F-350 or F450 and you will be happy. Unfortunately Ram has seen their quality suffer over the last few years and they are no longer recommended by Consumer Reports. To some that is no big deal but is says something about Ram. The Ford is the standard that all try to keep up with. None have done it so far.
Not according to Consumer Reports, which puts the GM product higher than the Ford in 350/3500 and 450/4500 pickups.

CR Log In May Be Required To View Reliability Ratings
Old 10-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #33

Quote:
I will agree with a few of the others here and say look more closely at the F-series and the Rams. Bang for your buck would go to either of them. I am slightly biased towards the Ram but both are awesome truck lines with astounding capability. GM has never really popped up on my radar only because we had one too many sour experiences with our dealership.
I did 12 months of extensive research and test drives and ended in a Ram. I love it. Mine is only a 2500, but the 3500 is identical for fit, finish and options. The F-series were all very nice and capable as well, but we found the interior to be very underwhelming. This is all personal preference.

The Ford is coming out with a major refresh in 2017 that supposedly will be best/ highest in class. If Ford is the choice, I would be inclined to move quicker because if it follows the F150, it will also have the highest sticker price in its class too :/
Most Ram dealerships tend to be extremely aggressive on pricing so I have found. They want to see those trucks on the road at any cost.

As for DRW vs. SRW I have no experience to offer other than get what is necessary to handle your 5th and just get used to it. Sometimes comfort and safety/ capability do not go hand in hand. The Ram 3500 has optional air suspension out back and that is a game changer in my eyes. Not sure if it can be had on a DRW though. You'd have to check.
Sorry you had a bad GM experience with your dealer but that does not make it a bad choice did you try another dealer??. Todays GM trucks are far better than those built a few yrs. back as their sales have proven that. To the OP I say drive all 3 brands & choose what you like price, value, towing cap., ride comfort etc. We live in a great time to have such choices.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsdeep View Post
Sorry you had a bad GM experience with your dealer but that does not make it a bad choice did you try another dealer??. Todays GM trucks are far better than those built a few yrs. back as their sales have proven that. To the OP I say drive all 3 brands & choose what you like price, value, towing cap., ride comfort etc. We live in a great time to have such choices.
No I didn't go to any other dealers. We only have one dealership for GM and I always shop local to help our little town. The only reason I can't recommend the GM is because I have not had any seat time or driven one for about 8 years. Didn't even bother researching them for my needs.

I don't think they are a bad choice, but I have no knowledge or anything constructive to add when discussing them
Old 10-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #35

Quote:
That is a really nice looking setup.
Thank you! It's a pleasure to tow from the flat interstates to the 6% mountain passes. Been enjoying the new MS.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #36

Right now we tow a 35' TT but we have our eye on a 2016 Luxe 39'.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Right now we tow a 35' TT but we have our eye on a 2016 Luxe 39'.

If you get one please keep us informed. This line intrigues me.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #38

Finally got back to respond

Gee, thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the help and also the fact that this didn't deteriorate into an argument over which brands are better! ;-) We've been in the Smoky Mountains with no Internet, so it took me awhile to get back here.

MtnTrek.....The hitch on our TT has sway bars and tension bars for equalizing the load. We've tried redistributing the load in our trailer, but no matter what we do it's been a rough ride much of the time.

The links you provided were really helpful. I know several people have said 'do your research', which of course we want to do. In my original post I asked how I should go about doing that because other than Consumer Reports I really didn't know where to turn. So that comparison of the 3 brands was really helpful.

Another thing many people have said is how much the trucks have improved in the past few years, which also gives me hope. Our current truck is a 2010. When we get home we'll start visiting car dealerships and try out the different trucks. Since we already have a truck as a basis for comparison, that should be very helpful.

Again, thanks to EVERYONE for this very interesting and informative thread. Greatly appreciated!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #39

Mirrors on the 1 ton trucks

Perhaps I should start another thread with this question, but I thought I'd mention the mirrors. We're in the Smoky Mountains on some narrow roads, and I noticed the other day that a truck approaching us automatically folded in his mirror as he passed us. What an incredible idea!!! Our truck doesn't do that, but I hope all the newer trucks have that feature. Does anyone happen to know? We'll find out soon enough when we go truck shopping, I guess. :-)
Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #40

My Ram bighorn 2500 came with auto fold mirrors.

Little button on the arm rest by the mirror adjuster.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #41

GM auto fold, heated, LED turn signal with built in LED reverse lights that are bright! when you turn on the cargo & bed lamps. They all have come along way.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #42

When looking at one tons I notice a lot of people go the Ford route. Me personally, I would stay away from them for one reason. Anything you have to remove the cab in order to perform repairs is going to eventually hand you a 6k+ repair bill. I have seen it many times with those trucks and because of that, I would recommend the Dodge. The cummins has a solid reputation, is easily upgradeable and gets better mileage than Ford any day of the week. As for Chevy, while the duramax is a beast of a motor, and the allison trans is rock solid, you just don't see many of them on the road by comparison to the other two and I have to wonder why.

Tags
tow