Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

What truck & trailer combo is best for me

I need about 23 feet of TT to be comfortable. I figured loaded that will
weight about 5000 lb. A Nissan SV 4x2 King Cab V6 w/ MT (Manual trans), will cost $23,360, or about $26K out the door. It can tow 6500 lb.

Anyone have a suggestion of a trailer that would work well it that circumstance?

Nissan is the only maker that has the MT. I suppose a Ford or GM truck would be a possibility. I prefer a MT, because they should last the life of the truck. To me $25K is a lot for a pickup truck, but that is now what they
cost. Back in 2007, Chevy would sell a V8 base pickup for about $16K. But,
I have not seen a special like that in a long time.

Anyway, any suggestions on a truck TT combo?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #2

A trailer I liked but did not buy was the 24' Skyline Koala. I liked this trailer because it had a slide, large bathroom, good storage, and was realativly light at 4,400 lbs. from the factory.

Towing with a V6 is not going to be easy. They really should only be towing the smallest of trailers. Maybe 18 to 20 foot trailers.

If I wanted to tow with a V6 I would look at the T@B teardrop 1,700 lb trailer. Or maybe the AR-one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rob View Post
I need about 23 feet of TT to be comfortable.
23' box length or 23' tip to tail? Big difference. My model 19.6 is about 23' tip to tail, but less than 20' box length. And do you assume a slide to give you more room in the living room? A slide adds a lot of weight to a TT.

Quote:
I figured loaded that will weight about 5000 lb.
You are figuring way too light if the box length is 23' and includes a slide.

Here's one example of a 23' with a slide:

Forest River Flagstaff 23FBS - Super Lite Travel Trailer
Dry Hitch Weight 661 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 4,605 lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1,808 lbs.
Exterior Length 23' 9"

Dry hitch weight is 14.35% of unloaded vehicle weight, so count on about that same percent of wet and loaded hitch weight. If you loaded it to the 6,413 pounds max, your hitch weight will be over 900 pounds.

Quote:
A Nissan SV 4x2 King Cab V6 w/ MT (Manual trans), will cost $23,360, or about $26K out the door. It can tow 6500 lb.
Not without being overloaded. Your limiter is the payload capacity of that small pickup. And that 900 pounds hitch weight means you'll probably be overloaded over the GVWR of the pickup with any 23' TT.

Quote:
Anyone have a suggestion of a trailer that would work well it that circumstance?
Yeah. Start over. Either buy more truck or less trailer. The Nissan V6 will probably be okay if you change the trailer to a fold-town tent camper with GVWR less than 4,000 pounds. Maybe this one?
Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River

Quote:
Anyway, any suggestions on a truck TT combo?
Yeah. Any TT you like with a GVWR less than 7,000 pounds, even the one in your picture above. Then order a special F-150 that has the optional Maximum Tow Package with GVWR over 7,500 pounds.

Warning! Ordinary F-150s will be overloaded with that trailer. My 2012 EcoBoost is overloaded with my TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds wet and loaded for the road. So insist on at least the Max Tow Pkg.

That requires EcoBoost engine, 6.5' bed on a SuperCrew or 8' bed on a SuperCab. You probably won't find one you want in stock anywhere, so plan on ordering it and get exactly what you want that includes the max tow pkg.

Or if Sweetheart can't live without that TT that has GVWR of over 7,000 pounds but not over 8,000 pounds, then order a special-150 that includes the Heavy Duty Payload Package. That's a weird F-150 with 7-lug wheels, 17" LT load range E tires, 3.73 limited slip rear axle, EcoBoost engine and 8,200 pounds GVWR. Dealers don't stock them, so don't plan on finding one in stock.

Darling GrandDaughter in Knoxville wanted an F-150 with the HD payload pkg to tow her horse trailer without being overloaded. None were available in stock any where east of the Mississippi, and she didn't want to wait the 7 or 8 weeks to have one produced and delivered. So she bought an F-250. Hers is the XL SuperCab "work truck" with 6.5' bed and 6.2L V8 engine, and she loves it. Her Dad drives it a lot, and he's glad the F-150 was not available.

I suspect GM and RAM also make similar special HD half-ton pickups, but I'm not sure of the specs and requirements. To be sure of not winding up overloaded, go for the 2500 models instead of the 1500.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Sounds to me like I will have to live with a TT that is less than 20 feet.
A new Chevy or Ford pickup, with a V8, will be over $30K, by the time I
get her out the door. Title fee alone is $400 in FL. Plus 7% tax etc.

I may need to rethink this idea. In the past, 15 feet of living space was just not enough. The walls would begin closing in on me.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #5

If you dont buy all new you could get more of each. Much more! Aye?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #6

I would suggest you buy the TT you want and a slightly used truck in the 2500 range. Lots of folks bought something they thought they could make work and ended up taking a bath to upgrade it. Just saying do it right the first time with both the TT and truck.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #7

We bought a 2012 25ft. Crossroads Zinger (4,635 lbs - $12,995.00) and towed it cross country with a 2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L V8 (we paid $5,300 for it). It was a perfect set up and the Chevy towed it like a champ. The Zinger had lots of space and a large slide out.

The great thing about the Chevy is your stuff is safe inside rather than in the bed of a truck, you have more space, comfort and luxury too.

Good luck on your search.
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for a nice used larger truck rather than a new one. Same goes for a trailer. Look for a nice clean used one. You will not suffer from the huge depreciation of a new trailer or truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Look for a nice used larger truck rather than a new one. Same goes for a trailer. Look for a nice clean used one. You will not suffer from the huge depreciation of a new trailer or truck.

Ken
X2 You could buy a very nice, slightly used 3/4 ton pickup for 20 to 25K. Gas or diesel. And then find a nice slightly used trailer or small fiver and your good to go. Fivers ride and pull much better then a bumper pull trailer. No sway bar and all that to hook up. Bumper pull trailers can beat you to death. Others may have other opinions, but this is mine. Most auto transmissions will last the life of the truck also. Probably out last the clutch on a MT.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

I think sticking to 20ft is going to be your best bet. I tow with a chevy colorado and my 20ft TT worked out great.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #11

Maybe a smaller used Funfinder, 20 feet, dinette slide under 5000 lbs loaded, should be able tp ick up for 12 grand ish around 2 - 4 yr old.
rewindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #12

Get the biggest truck

I towed a 2,000lb. popup with a V6 Honda Odyssey, I had to go up hills in 2nd gear at 35 mph! Needless to say, I don't recommend towing anything with a V6, you will regret it!

I recommend getting a more powerful truck than you need. You can get a good used gas or diesel 3/4 ton truck for approx. $20,000. A lot of time is spent towing to and from your destination, you want to make it comfortable!

I just upgraded to a 30ft. 5th wheel. I am towing it with an 04 Hemi Ram 1500. The truck is near the top of the towing limit but handles it well but I am looking for a Ram 2500 diesel. Stay safe.
zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #13

Not sure what year your Honda was but.

With my colorado it is a inline 5. I live in BC canada and I have hauls up lots of mountains here and with cruise control on I held 60mph up all hills. With a/c on a trailer loaded for 4 weeks of being on the road. And that included some fresh water. And my trailer is 3000 pounds dry.

I think the issue you may have had was the torque curve being vey high in the rpm band.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote