Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm new here and about to embark on 5th wheel ownership. I need to get a new truck first and have been looking at the Ford F-250 and the Chevy 2500 (both in the Crew cab configuration). I'm open to either diesel or gas.

We are going to be buying a 5th wheel in the 28 - 30 foot range with an approximate GVWR of around 10,000 to 11,000.

Any recommendations? Had any problems with either truck?

Thanks,

Frank

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #2

Hi,

I'm new here and about to embark on 5th wheel ownership. I need to get a new truck first and have been looking at the Ford F-250 and the Chevy 2500 (both in the Crew cab configuration). I'm open to either diesel or gas.

We are going to be buying a 5th wheel in the 28 - 30 foot range with an approximate GVWR of around 10,000 to 11,000.

Any recommendations? Had any problems with either truck?

Thanks,

Frank

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #3

If you get the Ford, get a 2005 or newer. GVWR on Pre 2005 trucks is too low to hook up a 5er and stay under the GVWR of the truck.
Actually, if you are looking at trucks, just spend the extra $800 and get a F350.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #4

I believe a F250 crew cab only comes with a 6 foot bed length. Dont know about Cheby. Most fiver towers that have a 6 foot bed get slider hitches which are extra $$$. Spend the money on the truck instead, and get an 8 foot bed F350 crew cab single or dual rear wheel (your personal preference). I like the diesel... tons of power/torque and great fuel mileage. If you dont tow very often, maybe a gasser is best for you. With the GVW you mention, a 3/4 ton will work, but if you plan to get a biger fiver later and still keep the same truck, get a one ton dually.
Warning, if you ever pull with a diesel, you will never get another big gas truck.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spend the extra and youll be happy get F350 Crew Cab dually Tow boss 26k gcvwr

or th every min a regular dually 350 with a 23k gcvwr

if you go cheby or dodge go with a 3500 series, 2500 or 250 run out of gvwr and load capacity to fast.

and yep you can get a 250 crew with a long bed, its just you never see them unless you order it.

but my vote again is the TOW BOSS
i really like mine

did I mention i like my tow boss 350
Old 06-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The problem you'll run into towing a 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton SRW (single rear wheel, as opposed to a DRW, or dually) truck, and one not reflected in manufacturers' "trailer tow ratings" until you get to the fine print, is their GVWR ratings. A 5th wheel can carry up to 20% or more of its weight or more on the pin, which is then carried by the truck and counts against its GVWR rating. Generally speaking, SRW trucks towing 5th wheels will run out of GVWR long before they reach their GCWR rating.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Using the 2006 towing guide from Ford:

Super Duty F-250 or F-350 the GCWR is 23,000 to 23,500 depending on caband or 4x2 or 4x4.

The Tow Boss gets up to 26,000 for both but at the expense of putting in a 4.30 axle (poor fuel economy).

That is just the GCWR. Looking deeper at the GVWR you can see what Rusty is talking about. An F-250 SRW with Crew Cab and Long Bed and Diesel, has a GVWR of 15,900 while the dual wheeled F-350 (configured the same) is rated at 16,100. If you add 4x4 to either truck their rating drops by about 800 lbs. If you opt for the V-10 gas engine the rating drops by 1,400 lbs. If you get the 5.4L gas engine; fugetaboutit.

A crew cab with long bed and diesel engine will weigh in at about 6,600 lbs. Add two adults at about 300 lbs (combined) and two kids at 150 lbs(combined), throw in "stuff" in the bed of the truck (leveling boards for the trailer, cooler, bicycle or two, etc.) at 200 lbs and you are at a vehicle weight of 7,250 lbs curb weight.

Now lets say you have an 11,000 lb 5er. The king pin weight will, on average, be about 20% of the weight of the trailer. So 2,200 lbs more bearing down directly on the truck. Total weight of truck 9,350 lbs. Well within the 250's or 350's capacity.

But, keep in mind that these are the vehicle ratings for '06 models. As mentioned earlier the older models have lower ratings. My 99 F-250 only has a GCWR of 20,000 but ironically it is rated for a greater 5th wheel towing capacity than an F-350 dually from the same year. It is a long story, but true.

So if you get a newer truck your margin of safety will be higher. Older models may be marginal.

Also, be very suspicious of quoted trailer weights. That 11,000 lbs is probably less than what you will actually end up with unless you are looking at the GVWR of the trailer and not the dry weight.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if you will find a crew cab dually diesel that weights only 6600#. My 2003 F350 DRW weights in at almost 8000# with the hitch, full fuel (38 gallona) and tool box.

Be sure and read the fine print on the ratings as Rusty noted. While Ford claims it can tow 15,900#(??), this is based on a base model truck (low weight to maximize the tow rating) the foot notes state that you are not to exceed GVWR or GCWR.

Items that count against the GVWR over the base weight are accessories, options, cargo, hitch and all passengers in excess of a 150# driver.

Also, NEVER believe either the truck sales person or RV sales person. Very few of them have a clue about GCWR and GVWR.

For the size trailer you are planning to tow, I'd sugest you get an F350 SRW with an 8' bed. I don;t like messing with a slider hitch and worrying about my trailer and cab touching in a tight turn/

Good luck....
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #9

I towed a 10,000 lb 5er with a 3/4 T Dodge club cab, long bed, Cummins engine. We traveled throughout the U.S.A.(estimated 40K miles) without feeling the truck was inadequate. In 2005 we decided it was time for a new 5er(old one 1992). Our new 5er weighs 15K lbs. The 3/4 T Dodge was marginal around the midwest, it was overloaded. I had to part with my beloved Dodge CTD because I didn't feel safe towing that much weight. I bought a Chevy 1 T dually, D/A, crew cab, long bed to tow our new second home. I now tow with ease(no more white knuckles). This is to point out one should always plan ahead. A 3/4 T pickup will tow your load fine, but if you even suspect you'll buy a larger 5er now is the time to make a tow vehicle decision to include future plans.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #10

THANKS!!
Talk about great answers! It looks like I need to buy a Ford F-350 Dual wheel 4X2 Diesel Crew Cab with the Tow Boss package.

We are looking at a 5th wheel with a rear bunk bed configuration 30' or under; any recommendations? It's just the wife and I and our 5 year old and we plan on traveling across America.

I'm sorry to ask so many basic questions but we're just getting started on this and don't have the money to make any mistakes.

Thanks for all your help!!

Frank

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Old 06-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes i agree, you will like the tow boss
yes MPG empty at highway speeds will be in the 15-16 range
the towing mpg on our rig was 11 solid,
in town with som estretches of 65 going back and forth to work i get 17,
the added capactiy and peace of mind witht ehigher gcvwr is very big plus,
I almost purchased a 650 last summer before we found the boss and must say the ride is much better.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
You will not regret the decision to get a 1 ton truck. We tow with a '99 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Diesel 4X2, and I am extremely happy with its performance. Over 207,000 miles on it and it still runs great. As for the trailer, we are on our second Forest River product, and I can't speak highly enough about them. The quality has been excellent in it's price category, and the customer service far beyond what is to be expected. Our Wildcat 31QBH is a little longer than 30', but we needed the 4 bunks and absolutely love the floor plan. They do have a model in the 30' range with a bunk room that sounds like it would fit your needs.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jperry29:
Using the 2006 towing guide from Ford:
Looking deeper at the GVWR you can see what Rusty is talking about. An F-250 SRW with Crew Cab and Long Bed and Diesel, has a GVWR of 15,900 while the dual wheeled F-350 (configured the same) is rated at 16,100. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe this is trailer tow rating, not GVWR. Typically, 3/4 ton SRW trucks have GVWRs from 8800 to 9200 lbs, while most 1 ton SRW trucks have GVWRs of 9900 lbs. The 1 ton duallies will have GVWRs of, say, 10500 lbs to 13000 lbs or better.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have the 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crewcab long bed. We recently purchased a Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL that has a bunk room slide out. The GVWR of the Cruiser is slightly under 12,000 lbs. and is well within the weight limits of the truck. The truck pulls the trailer without effort. I originally wanted the Chevy 3500HD DRW but my wife did not want a DRW truck and Chevy did not have a SRW 1-ton truck at the time.

Crossroads does have some other floorplans in bunk configurations. Check out the CF30QB. You can check them online at Crossroads Website. Crossroads is part of Thor Industries. On the website is an Owners Club Forum where you can find alot of product information from current owners. The Cruiser line is all aluminum frame construction which really reduces the weight. We are very happy with ours so far.

RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote