Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #15

Ram ecodiesel failed the davis dam test,does that make it a bad truck ?
Don't think so.
I also wonder how we survived all these years without the J2807 'standard'.
Next we will see "EXCEEDS J2807"
not exactly B.S. but marketing for sure,stay within the limits (all of them) you are good.

hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Ram ecodiesel failed the davis dam test,does that make it a bad truck ?
Don't think so.
I also wonder how we survived all these years without the J2807 'standard'.
Next we will see "EXCEEDS J2807"
not exactly B.S. but marketing for sure,stay within the limits (all of them) you are good.
Are you sure of your facts? I just checked the Ram Body Builder.Co web site and the 1500, 2015 Eco- diesel is certified to meet the SAE J2807 towing standards.

What the J2807 standard is for is to level the playing field and eliminate any non-factual marketing claims such as what Ford has done with the F450 truck. They strip the truck of several features such as spare tire, rear bumper, radio, center console and such than claim this is a one ton truck and can out tow a 3500 Ram diesel truck in mass capacity.

Jim W.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I guess if any member out there has a truck that doesn't meet the new towing standards then you better sell it and don't even think of towing with it because it is unsafe. The new towing standards are all that matter and you better not take any chances because you will be held responsible for any problems because your truck didn't meet the new towing standards and you knew it and still put people's lives in danger. Now I feel better!
Really?
No: the poster is asking what truck should he buy new for his towing needs. Will this was my answer.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Are you sure of your facts? I just checked the Ram Body Builder.Co web site and the 1500, 2015 Eco- diesel is certified to meet the SAE J2807 towing standards.

What the J2807 standard is for is to level the playing field and eliminate any non-factual marketing claims such as what Ford has done with the F450 truck. They strip the truck of several features such as spare tire, rear bumper, radio, center console and such than claim this is a one ton truck and can out tow a 3500 Ram diesel truck in mass capacity.

Jim W.
Yes the video was posted on a rv forum ,they went up the hill and it dropped below the J2807 speed(those guys that do the towing tests) hardly anyone and noticed but a few commented.
Personaly to me it is almost meaningless,a standard that uses empirical
'tests' is no standard at all , it sounds more and more like the marketing departments got together around a board room table and just picked out what satisfied everybody,SAE rubber stamped it.
Buy what works for you ,stay in the limits and don't listen to "that thang got a hemi "crowd.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #19

The op is looking buy a gas truck and the discussion is about the F450
My comment is if the Durango v8 is a problem any other gas truck will act similarly
Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
"partsben", another thing you might want to consider,,, (we sure are) is a regular crew cab 4 door pickup , at least the Rams, (don't about Chevy's and Fords) has a center hump in the floor And is built up under the seat. We plan on taking the back seat out to make room for our 'kids' . (two Danes) The "Mega cab" has a flat floor, even under the rear seat, so there would be plenty of room for the kids.
I saw the hump but I figured I'd have something build to flatten the floor at the same me I put in the abracadabra but I never knew about the Mega having a flat floor. Seems strange and I wonder why.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #21

If your keeping the TT and just looking to upgrade your Tow vehicle, the 2500 hd Ram with cummins will be a very good truck. Nissan has a new one out this year 2016 with a cummings engine. Not sure of the spects but it looks very promising for the light duty towing market. Diesels have a lot more torque than a gasser for towing on mountains and get better fuel millage too. Yea, they cost more but on the flip side they have a better resale. Ford has a lot of problems since they left the 7.3, not bashing just stating fact. Also, keep in mind you may want to upgrade your tt someday and may need a bigger tow vehicle putting you into the 3500 class.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #22

I wish I had picked the trailer first

When our plans changed after over 2 years of studying motor homes, to the 5r's, it was a complete different world.
I had in mind a nice unit in the 29-32' and 9-10k # range, but after I bought an older f350 DW truck we discovered that the 35-36' high end units had the things that we wanted in a 5r. So the truck will not legally pull those
If I had it to do over I would just do over kill and get an older Volvo tractor rig, w/ a 60 series Detroit and air ride all over and be done with it.
If you end up with any of the trucks mentioned above they will pull a lot and should do for most units within reason. But from now on, I will be honing the search in earnest and looking at the weight of the prospective unit first, then get the right truck for it!!

All the best of luck and happy shopping, Farmer
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #23

f250 towing

Much of the towing capacities quoted by posters are based on older trucks with much different capacities. The 2014 F250 super duty diesel single rear wheel has the exact same towing capacity as the f350. The capacity goes up with dual wheels. This explains why 1 ton pickups in the SRW configuration are hard to find.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #24

Those big long 2 and 3 slide TT are really nice. I have seen them with opposing slides in the living area with a slide in the bedroom. They are competing very well with 5th wheels and at least class 'C' motorhomes quite well.

You will need at least a 3/4 ton truck for sure as you already surmised. I looked at all 3 (GM, Ford, Ram) diesel versions 2 years ago. I liked them all. You really can not go wrong with any 2011 or newer truck. To give you some insight in 2011 Chevy beefed up the frame and engine. 2011 Ford introduced their designed and in-house built 6.7 litre diesel. Ram of course uses the 6.7 litre in-line 6 cylinder diesel. In 2011 all 3 diesel engines were injected with steroids and all are very powerful.

IMHO - those big TT are a bit too heavy to tow comfortably with a gasoline powered truck.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #25

What truck to Purchase?

Thanks for all the info so far. My wife and I have decided to go with a diesel truck to allow us to upgrade in the future if we so desire. Now I would like to know what brand is best? Ram, Ford or GM? I would like to know which brand has the best track record, if that is possible? Thanks, partsben
Old 05-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Now I would like to know what brand is best? Ram, Ford or GM? I would like to know which brand has the best track record, if that is possible? Thanks, partsben
There is no best between those three trucks.
Whats best is in the mind of a owner...... and I think the white ones are best.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsben View Post
Thanks for all the info so far. My wife and I have decided to go with a diesel truck to allow us to upgrade in the future if we so desire. Now I would like to know what brand is best? Ram, Ford or GM? I would like to know which brand has the best track record, if that is possible? Thanks, partsben
Nowadays they are all good, as far as I can tell.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #28

I spent literally months on line looking at real reviews of the three diesel choices when I was looking to buy a used truck 5 years ago. I might choose a different brand now if I were buying a new truck but there's no budget for new and my old classic has done an outstanding job for over 30K miles now. Just take your time and do lots of research, all the answers are out there if you take the time to look!

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase