Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Question What vehicle is good for towing my travel trailer?

Thinking about buying a 3/4 cargo van or pick-up truck to pull my 2011 Gulfstream travel trailer which is a 24 RBL and weight lable says GVWR 7410, UVW 4225, NCC 3185.

Thanks, Bob
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #2

You should be fine with any 3/4 ton unit.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
You should be fine with any 3/4 ton unit.
Ditto-IMHO. Good luck and happy camping!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Thinking about buying a 3/4 cargo van or pick-up truck to pull my 2011 Gulfstream travel trailer which is a 24 RBL and weight lable says GVWR 7410, UVW 4225, NCC 3185.
Only a very few half-ton pickups and no half-ton vans could handle the hitch weight of a 7,410-pound TT without being overloaded. Ford makes one F-150 that could do it, but it would be at the limits of its capability, and dealers don't stock them so you'd have to special-order it. It's an F-150 with the heavy duty payload package.

With a three-quarter-ton pickup, no problem. All would have enough payload capacity to handle the hitch weight of the 7,410-pound trailer.

The Ford E-350 van with 4.1 axle ratio and 6.8L V10 engine could handle it with no problem. Either the regular-size van or the extended van, with or without seats. It has GVWR of 9,500 pounds, so it can handle the hitch weight of the trailer with no problem if you don't load the van down with a van full of NFL linebackers. It has GCWR of 18,500, so even if you load the van down to 10,000 pounds, you'd still have enough power and torque to drag that trailer over the Rockies.

Too bad Ford doesn't still make the E-350 van with a diesel engine. That was a really good towing machine when they made it. But if you want a diesel-powered van, I think GM still makes one, and Ford will have a new one in September.

If you're not in a big hurry to buy the tow vehicle, then look into the new 2014 Ford Transit van. It will be available in September with either a 3.5L EcoBoost engine, or a direct-injected 3.2L Power StrokeŽ inline 5-cylinder turbo diesel, or the plain ole 300-horse 3.7L V6 that is now available in the F-150. GVWR up to 10,360 pounds, so no problem with the hitch weight of your trailer. Four different roof heights from the factory, so you can make it work for your special requirements. Passenger van or cargo van, or a combo of cargo van with windows and some seats. It looks sorta like the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, depending on wheelbase and roof height you choose.
2014 Ford Transit Work Trucks | View Transit Features | Ford.com
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Only a very few half-ton pickups and no half-ton vans could handle the hitch weight of a 7,410-pound TT without being overloaded. Ford makes one F-150 that could do it, but it would be at the limits of its capability, and dealers don't stock them so you'd have to special-order it. It's an F-150 with the heavy duty payload package.

With a three-quarter-ton pickup, no problem. All would have enough payload capacity to handle the hitch weight of the 7,410-pound trailer.

The Ford E-350 van with 4.1 axle ratio and 6.8L V10 engine could handle it with no problem. Either the regular-size van or the extended van, with or without seats. It has GVWR of 9,500 pounds, so it can handle the hitch weight of the trailer with no problem if you don't load the van down with a van full of NFL linebackers. It has GCWR of 18,500, so even if you load the van down to 10,000 pounds, you'd still have enough power and torque to drag that trailer over the Rockies.

Too bad Ford doesn't still make the E-350 van with a diesel engine. That was a really good towing machine when they made it. But if you want a diesel-powered van, I think GM still makes one, and Ford will have a new one in September.

If you're not in a big hurry to buy the tow vehicle, then look into the new 2014 Ford Transit van. It will be available in September with either a 3.5L EcoBoost engine, or a direct-injected 3.2L Power StrokeŽ inline 5-cylinder turbo diesel, or the plain ole 300-horse 3.7L V6 that is now available in the F-150. GVWR up to 10,360 pounds, so no problem with the hitch weight of your trailer. Four different roof heights from the factory, so you can make it work for your special requirements. Passenger van or cargo van, or a combo of cargo van with windows and some seats. It looks sorta like the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, depending on wheelbase and roof height you choose.
What about this van I'm looking at now Ford E-250 with a small 4.6L V-8 engine? Here another idea a 2006 Ford E350, Chateau Edition, Power Stroke Diesel - $18988 which I don't know what gas mileage is for a Diesel van?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/3770573543.html

Thanks, Bob
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If you're interested, a fellow at work is selling a super clean 7.3L diesel Ford Excursion (Limited, I think). If it will fit your needs, PM me and I can put you in contact with him.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in any resulting transaction whatsoever.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The Ford Transit is to Europe as the F-150 is to the US. It has been the standard 'tradesman's' vehicle for nearly 50 years. Used for everything from a plumber's van to an ambulance, RV, bus... The list goes on and on.

Ford Transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So look at the truck specs and see if the tow vehicle is rated to tow your trailer. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

I had a 2008 Ford f250 with the 5.4 liter v8 and it was way under powered with terrible gas mileage towing a 6500lb. TT . Get a big block gas with high torque or better yet a diesel.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What about this van I'm looking at now Ford E-250 with a small 4.6L V-8 engine?
Hitch weight is the problem with the E-250. What is the GVWR of the van? How much will the wet and loaded van weigh before you tie onto the trailer? I suspect you'll be maxed out with that van and a 7,400 pound trailer.

Plus the 4.6L was a weak sister. Maybe it would be acceptable for dragging 7,400 pounds if it has the 4.10 axle. I had a 2003 with 3.55 axle, and after one trip to Phoenix and back, dragging about 6,000 pounds cargo trailer, I decided I needed more grunt. I never realized before that trip how many long, steep grades there are on I-10 in southeastern Arizona. So I traded that 4.6L for my current EcoBoost, which has all the power I could want.

Quote:
Here another idea a 2006 Ford E350, Chateau Edition, Power Stroke Diesel.
2006 Ford E350, Chateau Edition, Power Stroke Diesel
Plenty of power and torque to tow that trailer, and plenty of GVWR to handle the hitch weight if you don't load the van with a lot of heavy tools and passengers and stuff. The Chateau trim is the luxury trim package. Nice! (I had a 1977 Chateau van and put over 100,000 miles on it).

The earlier 6.0L diesel of 2003 and 2004 model years were trouble prone, so that gave all 6.0Ls a bad reputation, even as late as 2006.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #11

I agree that the 4.6L should not even be a consideration and the 5.4 would minimally addiquit although I love mine in my 07 Expedition. I do easily tow a 28' open trailer with 6 quads I don't know if it would have a lot of torque for a big TT.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

My travel trailer living area is only 25 foot long. With the tongue it's 28.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #13

You wouldn't believe how many truck dealers have tried to push vehicles that would never be able to pull my trailer which weighs 7,000 pounds. One told me a Chev S-10 with a V-8 engine would do it or this truck with the hitch on the back that says it rated for 10,000 pounds. But the vehicle has only a V-6 engine. These dealers are Ford, GM, Dodge. I wonder if the trucks listed below could do the job?

Toyota Tundra
Nissian Titan

Thanks, Bob
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wonder if the trucks listed below could do the job?

Toyota Tundra
Nissian Titan
No better than the big 3 half tons, and not as good as the Ford or GM half tons with HD payload option.

Most half ton pickups have GVWR around 6,600 to 7,200 pounds. Not enough payload capacity for a CrewCab 4x4 to tow a 7,000-pound tandem-axle trailer without being overloaded. With the right options, the F-150 can have GVWR of 7,700 pounds or 8,200 pounds. With GVWR of 7,700 pounds and a CrewCab body with 4x4 drivetrain, the F-150 would probably be overloaded with the hitch weight of a 7,400-pound trailer. The F-150 with 8,200 GVWR shouldn't have any problem with that trailer, but for some reason the F-150s with the HD Payload pkg and 8,200 GVWR are scarce as hen's teeth. Dealers don't stock them because there's very little demand for them. Most people that need that much payload just move up to a three-quarter-ton pickup.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).

Tags
towing, travel