Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #15

There's this 3/4 ton (3320 payload, 12000 max towing) as well. When I looked up the payload on cars.msn.com, it was nearly as high as the 1 ton dodge (3380 payload, 15950 max towing)
2004 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab with Topper $9,600

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #16

What are you doing with the truck? Is the big question

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I like my 2002 f250 7.3L when I bought it had only 78000 miles on it.
Went on a 2500 mile trip and thank the Lord I bought extended warrantee on drive trane.
Backing 5ver into yard blew trans. Had to have rebuilt transmission. Still like the truck but that’s there weak link. I wouldn’t buy a truck now unless it’s a 1 ton. Living full time in RV DW would like a bigger one. So I got a Ford for sale..
So now IM actually looking for another truck, a 1 ton dully diesel or little bigger. Can’t afford a new one but a good GMC Chevy or Dodge.
Is there a certin year to look at these trucks. Thanks Don
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #18

We're planning to Fulltime across the US with our 4 kids. For now, we would buy an inexpensive but serviceble 5th wheel like one of these:
5th wheel camper for sale
1984 Elkhart 5th wheel 42 foot camper
and then replace it in a year or two with something like these:
Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968

So we need it to be able to handle a large, older 5th wheel, and give us the flexability to choose a larger new one in a year or two.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstar View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. So no then to the 6.0 Fords. Easy enough, though they're everywhere here it seems.

I combed through the classifieds and found 3 1 ton duallies in my price range. One of them is a ford, but it's actually a 450? Anyway, I left it in because I'm curious what you all think.

2005 Dodge 1 Ton Dually Crew Cab Pickup
2003 Ford F450 XL C/C T8165.0
2001 Chevy Silverado LT 3500 Dually Crewcab 4x4

I can see that my price range is fairly limiting in this category. Given that, would I be better off looking at the 3/4 ton trucks? Ultimately what we want is flexability to choose a bigger 5th wheel later on, but that assumes the truck will last longer than a couple years. Are any of these worth considering, or should I go back to the 3/4 tons?
The 2005 Dodge is a 2-wheel drive. Looks like you live in snow country, do you want 2 or 4 wheel drive? Around here in in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Foothills (California) where it does snow, 2-wheel drive trucks are harder to sell. On the other hand, they get one to two MPG better than a 4WD.

The F450 is a 6.0 and a 2003 which was an especially bad motor. Although, it may have already been replaced with another 6.0 motor--but even that would still be a 6.0. If it has the original motor, expect to replace the turbo charger--that year was trouble prone. Be prepared for higher maintenance costs.

The 2001 Chevy already looks tired in the pictures. The guy seems to be selling it because he reached his $$ limit in replacing parts.

Here is a 2008 SRW Dodge ad linked off the Dodge page. He says OBO (see comment below), if you can stretch it this is the strong motor and with a great transmission. Check the CGVW, it might be capable of towing a 10,000 to 12,000 pound trailer.

Comments:
--DRW=Dual Rear Wheel, SRW=Single Rear Wheel.
--OBO--Or Best Offer, says to me the seller is going to be willing to take at least another 10% off. He is asking $22,000 offer him $18,000 and be willing to settle at near $20,000.
--If you are financing, get a bank loan approval before you start dickering with any private party and it's still a good idea before dickering with a dealer too.

Good hunting. Don't get in a hurry. Those who have to get something NOW always pay more than those who take their time.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #20

Tumble weed I hate to correct you but it doesn't matter 3/4 ton or 1 ton it's still the same drive train . Reverse is the weak part of any transmission, ford dodge or Chevy the 7.3 is bullet proof, the E4OD isn't if one could find the this motor with a 6 spd or at the very least a. 5 spd it would be a great combo that you could have a lot of fun with tuners and chips etc
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #21

We do live in the snow, but I promised DH we won't spend another winter here. He is so sick of the white stuff...
That is a very nice looking 2008. We are working with a cash budget of $13K. After that, we'll have to sell the suburban and use that to buy an inexpensive trailer. So no, 20K is definately out of our price range.
We're not in a hurry yet, but next winter is coming!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #22

If you are working on a smaller budget I would definatly go older, less technology which equates to cheaper repair bills you might not be racing up the hills but you will be doing it comfortably as well might leave you with a higher budget for the trailer
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
If you are working on a smaller budget I would definatly go older, less technology which equates to cheaper repair bills you might not be racing up the hills but you will be doing it comfortably as well might leave you with a higher budget for the trailer
That's one of the main reasons we like the 2004 3/4 ton. It was owned by a national non-profit and managed as a part of a fleet by a highly detail oriented and anal fleet manager. One of the most well cared for used vehicles we are likely to find...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I believe the 03', 04' and half way thru the 05' model year the Ford 6.0' TD were turds.. They had problems with their turbo's burning up not getting enough oil and the whole high pressure fuel injection system. Somewhere thru the 05' model year changes were made. I knew of two RVers personally who blow their motors under 10k miles.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstar View Post
We do live in the snow, but I promised DH we won't spend another winter here. He is so sick of the white stuff...
That is a very nice looking 2008. We are working with a cash budget of $13K. After that, we'll have to sell the suburban and use that to buy an inexpensive trailer. So no, 20K is definately out of our price range.
We're not in a hurry yet, but next winter is coming!
Here are two places to shop:
Autotrader and Bismark, ND Craig's list.

Expand the Autotrader search to "Advanced" and select fuel: Diesel to weed out the gas trucks. Search out to 200 miles to start. Put your price about $1,000 more than your limit--everybody is going to come down on their price for a used vehicle, especially for cash with a private seller.

Craig's list can be directed to other cities and is a good place to look for RVs also. Although, because of the oil field housing shortage, you may have to look outside of the Oil Field areas to get good pricing on RVs. Try: Dallas, Denver, St Louis and/or Minneapolis for RVs and maybe even trucks.

If you have any family on the West Coast, do searches in the big cities near them and have a family member look at the trucks/RVs for you. You will find lower mileage trucks in better condition away from the oil fields and farming areas and in general they don't salt the roads in CA, OR, WA.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Why is it theres always talk of different gear ratios for 3/4-1 ton for rear end and trans if there all the same.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to RVelev8trman
Our 03 F350 CC DW 4x4 has the 6.0 with 77000 miles on it and 90% all towing miles. Towing a 12000 + lb 5th wheel. Have not had a single problem with it. Do the proper maintenance and take care if it. I do know people with Fords, Chevy's and Dodge's who have had the luck I have had and I know some that there trucks are junk. Just my 2 cents worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130309_082642.png
Views:	67
Size:	685.5 KB
ID:	34625
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #28

Diesel may be preferred but a year and a half ago, i bought a '99 v10 f350 drw with 102k miles in immaculate condition for 11k. It was so clean, the underside looked new.
It pulls my 30' sunnybrook bh very nicely.

It helps to keep options open.

Tags
diesel