Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

What's the best tow hitch

I am wondering what others recommendations are on tow packages before I buy one.
Wilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #2

Don know about today's tow assemblies, but the Duncan Towmaster we bought back in 1995 has served us well over the years, being simple and easy to setup and still doing a great job. However, I don't think they're in business any more.

Good luck with your search..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming you mean the best weight-distributing hitch with built-in sway control, there are several good ones with one being the best but also most expensive.

Best is probably the ProPride, along with its predecessor the Hensley Arrow. Absolutely no sway, and excellent weight distributing. But the ProPride retails for $2,345, and the only source for a new one is the manufacturer.
Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | ProPride, Inc.

The ProPride is the newest redesign of the original Hensley Arrow. The Hensley Arrow is still for sale by:
Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed

Second place goes to several that all cost about $550 to $650 each from a discount hitch source:

1] Reese Strait-Line Trunnion bar dual cam.
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weig...des_Shank.aspx

Note that Reese makes a few different weight-distributing systems. Don’t buy anything Reese sells except the Strait-Line Dual Cam. The rest are less expensive, but don’t work as good.

2] Equal-I-Zer
Amazon.com: Equal-i-zer 90001200 Equalizer Hitch: Automotive

Some folks swear by these. I prefer the Strait-Line dual cam.

3] Husky Center-Line
Amazon.com: Equal-I-Zer hitch

Highly rated, but I have no experience with these. Note that you buy the head and then add the spring bars of the correct weight capacity.

4] Blue Ox Sway Pro
Sway Pro - Blue Ox Weight Distribution Hitches on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Blue Ox is a big name in towing for a lot of years. They don't sell an "economy" hitch, only the good stuff.

What do I have? ProPride for my travel trailer, and Strait-Line for my cargo trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilby View Post
I am wondering what others recommendations are on tow packages before I buy one.
A Bing search on "Duncan Towmaster" indicates it was a hitch to connect a toad to a motorhome. So if LVJ58 was correct and that's what you mean by "tow packages", then you posted in the wrong forum. Discussions about towing toads should be posted to the Toads and Motorhome Related Towing Forum.

Please clarify whether you meant towing a trailer or a toad, and if fit's a toad, then a moderator will move this thread to the correct forum. If it's a trailer, then my earlier reply should put you on the right track.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

Towing a toad

I was looking for suggestions on towing a toad
Wilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some swear by Roadmaster, BlueOx, Demco, and a few others. If you are buying used, get the tow bar first, then you will know what base plate to get. If you are buying new, get the one you can get worked on locally, or you can work on yourself.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Community Moderator

lots of people are happy with blueox, but i am using roadmaster (falcon all terrain towbar, baseplate and high-low hitch) and like it. as you probably know a word "best" is always subjective... happy trailing.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I am using a Blue Ox Aventa and I love it. It hooks up fast and easy. It is even easy to hook up if you are on uneven terrain. But there are others that work well too.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote