Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
MRV

My wife and are in the market for a 35+ feet toy hauler fifth wheel toy hauler. The weights on these are huge. So I want to see what others are able to tow with a Ram 2500 Diesel. I know what the book says, but I want to know what you are towing. Mine is a 2002 Ram 2500, short box, quad cab with the 6 speed manual transmission. It has a few performance upgrades (K&N air filter, larger exhaust and the EZ box). Anyone who has Ram 2500 Diesel, I want to know what the largest fifth wheel toy hauler you are towing. Please include the following information:

Truck: Year, trans (manual/auto), short box/long box, is it a 2500? anything modification you did to the truck (performance or suspension), and anything else you want to add or I should know.

Trailer: Year, make, model, length, dry hitch weight, dry gross weight, GVWR, what are you hauling in your trailer (dirt/street bike(s), ATVs, other)?

Comments: Do you feel comfortable with what you are towing? Do you feel you need something larger for what you are towing. Anything else you want to add.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
MRV

My wife and are in the market for a 35+ feet toy hauler fifth wheel toy hauler. The weights on these are huge. So I want to see what others are able to tow with a Ram 2500 Diesel. I know what the book says, but I want to know what you are towing. Mine is a 2002 Ram 2500, short box, quad cab with the 6 speed manual transmission. It has a few performance upgrades (K&N air filter, larger exhaust and the EZ box). Anyone who has Ram 2500 Diesel, I want to know what the largest fifth wheel toy hauler you are towing. Please include the following information:

Truck: Year, trans (manual/auto), short box/long box, is it a 2500? anything modification you did to the truck (performance or suspension), and anything else you want to add or I should know.

Trailer: Year, make, model, length, dry hitch weight, dry gross weight, GVWR, what are you hauling in your trailer (dirt/street bike(s), ATVs, other)?

Comments: Do you feel comfortable with what you are towing? Do you feel you need something larger for what you are towing. Anything else you want to add.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
MRV,
welcome to iRV2!!
Certainly a good question you bring to the table.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...Anyone who has Ram 2500 Diesel, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
and apparently I am not qualified to answer

..but ...

since it might appear that you have perhaps a small comfort level (?) with towing over the posted weight of your:
"..Ram 2500 Diesel. I know what the book says, but ..",
... well a 35'+ ToyHauler is going to give you even more chance to go very heavy. Thats a LOT of spare room to pack thousandS of extra pounds.
You packin' a rail or Jeep with those couple quads by any chance ??

any chance I can be qualified to answer your other question ???:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Anything else you want to add. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

again, Welcome !!
FatDog
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #4

MRV,

Welcome to IRV2

Go to the toyhauler section and check with Aviator, he has a similar setup to what you are asking about.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 AM   #5
MRV

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Aviator, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, I will check with Aviator.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
shouldn't you be asking what is the largest 5er that you can safely tow with a Dodge 2500? First thing you need to do is weigh your truck loaded with gear and passengers. Performance mods do not change the weight ratings of a vehicle.

My `99 F250 had a GVWR of 9900# and GCVR of 20,000#. Truck weighed 7800# ready to tow. From here you can do the math. I realize the weight rating have increased recently with some new options. Heck, Ford has an option where the F-350 SRW has higher ratings than my `02 GMC 3500 dually had.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #7

Hi,

truck - 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 4X4, long box extended cab.
Trailer(not a toy hauler-sorry) - 1995 Komfort 25ft fifth wheel.

wieght numbers -

Truck - with family, fuel and the etc's - 7100 lbs.
- with trailer 8800lbs.

Max GVWR 8800, max GCWR 18,000

so this means, max trailer total of 10,900 of which 1700 lbs is pin wieght.

hope this is what you are looking for.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #8

When I had my 2001.5 CTD 2500, I was about 300 lbs over GVWR with the 5er shown in my sig. See link in my sig on towing weights for detailed explanation.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #9

Hey MRV - I have a 2004.5 cummins 600 with a hot juice/attitude, 4x2, short bed and we pull a cedar creek 362BTS 38 foot almost 10k 5er. When you do all the math and the measurements we are just at our towing limits. We don't overload the 5er and we don't generally keep any water in the fresh water tanks. The auto tranny is stock, and we don't go over 2 on the juice attititude.

Fritz
Old 09-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #10

I tow a 29' 5er which weighs 10,400#. It loads my 2000 Dodge quad cab 2500 with cummins and 4:10 rea end fully. I am about 200# over the truck GVWR and 400# under the GCWR. On my first 6,000 mile trip East I did not have gages to monitor Exhaust Gas Temperature, boost Pressure, and Transmission temperature. I pushed too hard on steep hills and had trouble backing the trailer. Bottom line I caused damage to my transmission which had to be be overhaulled at about 60,000 mile. I beefed up the tranny with Diesel Transmission Technology components and added Banks gages. The trip East which ended today when we returned home the truck ran like a clock, but in the mountains I had my eye on the EGT and kept it below 1300, and often locked the tranny out of OD to keep it from shifting to OD.

Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote