Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #1

Wheel liners on DRW

I have a 2002 Silverado that needs some attention to the wheels. I have looked a bit into replacing the factory steel wheels with aluminum, but with having to change out the studs and all it started to become a lot more expensive than I wanted. I understand that I could just have the wheels broken down and have them repainted (powder coated) which isn't off the table yet.

My real question is in the Stainless steel wheel liners like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400723426361...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

Anyone out there have any first hand experience with these or similar and would care to offer their opinion? Thx.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #2

I have an 04 Silverado 4X4 that was a basic work truck when I got it and I picked up a set of Silverado aluminum wheels and tires, Craigslist, and they bolted right on and look a lot better then the old style steel wheels. Who told you you need to change the studs??
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #3

Ray, the guy at my local tire store, who sells wheels too told me that. I didn't question it as it seems reasonable that an aluminum wheel has to be thicker. Are all four wheels on three rear the same, or are the inner ones different?
Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
Ray, the guy at my local tire store, who sells wheels too told me that. I didn't question it as it seems reasonable that an aluminum wheel has to be thicker. Are all four wheels on three rear the same, or are the inner ones different?
All 6 wheels are the same.

I don't know where you live but if it's in the "rust belt" I would spend my time and money on painting the steel wheels. Alloy wheels will corrode over time and are very expensive to have refinished. Powder coating once chipped will begin to bubble up and come off in sheets. The powder coat tends to hold moisture underneath and with no corrosion inhibitors exacerbates rust.

Painting and chip repair can be done with "rattle cans" of rust inhibiting primer and color of your choice (get creative). The tires don't even have to be taken off, just deflate and stuff playing cards between the tire and wheel in a fish scale like overlap and then cover the rest of the tire with newspaper or what ever.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #5

I bought a contractor grade truck with steel wheels and had the Ford dealer put on the stainless liners. I did have to go with valve extensions. I like them and like the fact that rotations are easier and cheaper. YMMV
Old 03-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #6

Well I am getting old but when I switched to the aluminum wheels I know I didn't have to change studs, one thing I don't remember is if I got the lug nuts from the guy I got the wheels or did I use the stock nuts! I kind of think not the stock nuts. There are a million Silverado's out there run one down and ask the owner if you can try one. OR visit your local "Used Parts Emporium" that's junk yard and ask them. OR just run a set down on craigs and tell the seller you need to check one and make sure they fit!!!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #7

I see a lot of wheel/tire sets on Craigslist--some are spectacularly reasonable as new take-offs (amazing what some people will spend on different wheels/tires on a brand new truck) But, you having a 2002, GM has probably changed boltsize/patterns since then.
As mentioned, try one before buying....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Well I am getting old but when I switched to the aluminum wheels I know I didn't have to change studs, one thing I don't remember is if I got the lug nuts from the guy I got the wheels or did I use the stock nuts! I kind of think not the stock nuts. There are a million Silverado's out there run one down and ask the owner if you can try one. OR visit your local "Used Parts Emporium" that's junk yard and ask them. OR just run a set down on craigs and tell the seller you need to check one and make sure they fit!!!
I can't imagine NOT having to do something with the lugs. Steel wheels are much thinner than aluminum. Even if only the outside wheels on the rear were changes out, I would think longer studs would be required. Am I missing something?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #9

Here are some questions for you--
How is it that the steel wheels and aluminum alloy wheels can be swapped to any position on a dually? You can run the steel on the front if you don't mind the look, and you can put the alloy front on the inner rear if you so desire?
If you have a lug that fits the alloy, then it will fit the steel unless the lug bottoms out, which it doesn't.
You can put the spare on anywhere, and it is steel--how does that work?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Powder coating once chipped will begin to bubble up and come off in sheets. The powder coat tends to hold moisture underneath and with no corrosion inhibitors exacerbates rust.
That is true only if the substrate was improperly prepped, or not fully cured.

BTDT.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Here are some questions for you--
How is it that the steel wheels and aluminum alloy wheels can be swapped to any position on a dually? You can run the steel on the front if you don't mind the look, and you can put the alloy front on the inner rear if you so desire?
If you have a lug that fits the alloy, then it will fit the steel unless the lug bottoms out, which it doesn't.
You can put the spare on anywhere, and it is steel--how does that work?
So you are saying that I should be able to take a set of (4) Chevy 8-lug aluminum wheels and put them on my truck without any problem? The factory lugs should be long enough and have enough thread purchase?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #12

Ok, so I did what I should have done in the first place. I went to "The Diesel Place" forum and got the answer there. Guess lots of people run steel inners and aluminum outers on the rear without having to mess with lugs. Thx.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #13

Looking back on my post, kinda looks snarky, sorry. I only know this because I'm on my 3rd dually, and the steel inner/spare has always bothered me--and the polish on one side of the alloys.
All late-model duallys with alloy wheels have the steel inner dual and spare--I guess to save $$.
If you are wanting newer wheels for your '02, then figure out the bolt pattern and go to Tredit.com to see what wheels will fit. Then you can look for something on Craigslist, tho most of the take-off sets are for late model trucks--it certainly is a low-cost way to get a set of new wheels. Have also seen sets of wheels/tires for less than the cost of the tires alone. As I said earlier, since '02, GM has surely changed the bolt pattern, at least Ford did.
Good luck--new set of wheels makes for a happy truck!!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Looking back on my post, kinda looks snarky, sorry. I only know this because I'm on my 3rd dually, and the steel inner/spare has always bothered me--and the polish on one side of the alloys.
All late-model duallys with alloy wheels have the steel inner dual and spare--I guess to save $$.
If you are wanting newer wheels for your '02, then figure out the bolt pattern and go to Tredit.com to see what wheels will fit. Then you can look for something on Craigslist, tho most of the take-off sets are for late model trucks--it certainly is a low-cost way to get a set of new wheels. Have also seen sets of wheels/tires for less than the cost of the tires alone. As I said earlier, since '02, GM has surely changed the bolt pattern, at least Ford did.
Good luck--new set of wheels makes for a happy truck!!
Youre a good man for making an apology Wingnut, but I didn't read your post as snarky. Thx. for all the info.