Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #1

Wheelbase question: supercab vs clubcab

I am considering a Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE 5th wheel, it has angled front corners, it can be towed with a short bed truck without a slider hitch.

Now for the truck and wheelbase question. The Ford diesel club cab with a short bed or Ford diesel supercab with long bed, both have almost the exact same wheelbase, 156.2" vs 158"". Both are 4x4 with SRW.

So I am wondering if they both should tow identically, based on the wheelbase? Some posts have suggested a long bed tows better, but have they considered the overall wheelbase comparison? I don't see any difference? Confused, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Fla2RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #2

I can not speak for the Ford trucks because I own a Dodge.

With that being said and my back ground in engineering. I take what most people say with a grain of salt. When they state that a long bed truck is more stable in pulling than a short bed truck. Most users know that a long wheel base is more stable than a short wheel base truck and a dually with a very heavy 5er is more stable than a single rear wheel truck.
I checked the Dodge Body Builders Web Site and a regular cab 8 ft bed truck has a wheel base of 140.5". The Dodge Mega Cab 6.5 ft bed has a 160.3" wheel base. So when pulling the proper size 5er for a single rear wheel truck, the Mega cab is more stable do to its length of wheel base.

I would also consider a sliding hitch for a short bed truck. You may never need the sliding hitch, but to my way of thinking. This is just like auto insurance, when you need it it is there for you.
Just my $0.02
Jim W.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, my thoughts exactly, it's not long bed vs. short bed, it's wheelbase that makes the difference. I will take your advice on the sliding hitch if I go with a short bed. How do you like the 6.7?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
Thanks Jim, my thoughts exactly, it's not long bed vs. short bed, it's wheelbase that makes the difference. I will take your advice on the sliding hitch if I go with a short bed. How do you like the 6.7?
I love the 6.7 Cummins. The engine has all of the torque and power you could ever ask for. The 6 cylinder develops the torque low in the power band about 1200 RPM's and keeps it there as you need it. I can easily accelerate pulling the 5er away from a stop light and I can pull all day long in 5th gear with the 68RFE auto transmission. I can pull in 5th gear and never go over 1850 RPM's at 60 MPH.
The truck does not require "Urea" and has the strongest standard exhaust brake of any of the big three. I use the exhaust brake all of the time and my use of the brakes to stop the trailer and truck combination is very limited. I have been able to maintain the speed limit on a 6% down hill decent without the use of the standard wheel brakes. Just using the VGT turbo and exhaust brake.
Sorry, I just know all of the major on highway tractors use a 6 cylinder engine. Do to where the torque is developed. If you are going to pull a heavy camper then a 6 cylinder engine is the best for this application.
Jim W.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Sounds like a winner. I was wondering on the mpg's without urea. I've heard that the new Ford is doing pretty well with the miles per gallon and urea is not that big of a deal. They say eventually Cummins will have to use urea too. I like the Cummins reputation. I guess it all depends where I get the best deal.

I had an 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 a few years ago and the dash fell apart (cracking and falling through due to manufacturing defect) and Dodge would not help me out with a repair because I was not the original owner, I don't forget things like that.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are not going to notice such a small difference in WB ie 2" is nothing to worry about. Longer WB rigs are more stable going down the Hy with a std TT (not a 5th wheel as they are more stable simply because they sit over the axle and not behind it) - however when you go to back into a site you would like to have the shortest wb available. I have also noticed that smaller 5th wheels are actually harder to back than longer ones - esp with a long wb truck.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
Now for the truck and wheelbase question. The Ford diesel club cab with a short bed or Ford diesel supercab with long bed, both have almost the exact same wheelbase, 156.2" vs 158"". Both are 4x4 with SRW.
What you are calling a "club" cab, Ford calls a "Crew" cab.

So you are comparing a SuperCab long bed with a CrewCab shorty.

Ford makes both the SuperCab and the CrewCab pickups with either a short or long bed. So your choices are not limited to either a SuperCab long bed or a CrewCab shorty. You could also choose a SuperCab shorty or a CrewCab with a long bed.

Quote:
So I am wondering if they both should tow identically, based on the wheelbase? Some posts have suggested a long bed tows better, but have they considered the overall wheelbase comparison? I don't see any difference?
The driver shouldn't notice any difference in towing "feel". But any adult back seat passengers would notice a huge difference in comfort on the road.

If the back seat in a SuperCab is suitable for your needs, and if the shorty bed in the CrewCab is also suitable for your needs, then also consider a SuperCab with a shorty bed. The sliding fifth-wheel hitch needed in a shorty will cost a bit more than the non-slider hitch for a long bed, but that 16" difference in wheelbase will make the pickup more manueverable in city traffic. A longer wheelbase rides better, but it doesn't tow a fifth-wheel trailer any better, because the weight of the 5er hitch is slightly in front of the rear axle.

For me? I prefer the CrewCab so my adult passergers have limosine-like room, and I prefer the long bed so I don't have to worry about a slider hitch or trailer-to-cab contact in tight turns. So my SuperDuty tow vehicle had 172" wheelbase.

As to what's popular? The CrewCab shorty is the leader by far. What tow vehicle do the "rich" guys drive? CrewCab shorty with a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch.
PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will make one recommendation with Ford.. That is this:

I suspect it will do very well towing a 5th wheel, but

DRIVE THE THING BOBTAIL BEFORE YOU BUY.

I have had to, on occasion, rent vehicles, I was put in Dodge, Ford and GM pickups.

I really liked the "Cockpit" of the Fords,, but those things scared me when it came to turning corners. I kept feeling very "light" in the rear (Which is why ploping a 5er down on the rails will fix it)

I liked the hangling on other makes way better.. But liked the cockpits less (Layout, seat belts and the like,,, I always wear my belt)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #9

I have had SuperCabs and CrewCabs in several Fords. I just don't like the small doors on the SCab, nor the small seat. Do you need back seat room or pickup bed room the most?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Do you need back seat room or pickup bed room the most?
I wanted both, so I ordered a CrewCab with a long bed. No regrets after 12 years and 194,000 mostly-towing miles. But I quickly learned to not expect to make a U-turn on a two-lane street.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I wanted both, so I ordered a CrewCab with a long bed. No regrets after 12 years and 194,000 mostly-towing miles. But I quickly learned to not expect to make a U-turn on a two-lane street.
Boy, you got that right! Mine needs a Wal-Mart parking lot to make a U-turn!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #12

You boys just need a 450 to turn easier...

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote