Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #15

Where the heck are all these scales I hear about???

I would love to pit my rig on scale...l

ai am in central Jersey and have looked for a couple years now and no luck on a scale.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Where the heck are all these scales I hear about???

I would love to pit my rig on scale...l

ai am in central Jersey and have looked for a couple years now and no luck on a scale.....
Use the CAT scale locator. You won't find many close to the "City" because land is too expensive. But "central" Jersey should be no problem. The big truck stops witjh CAT scales are all located on the interstate. Here are 3 in the Trenton area:

Petro Truck Stop at Bordentown 08505, I-295 exit 57

Loves Truck Stop at Borderntown, I-95 Exit 56

Bensalem, I-95 Exit 37

Map of Bordentown NJ | Bordentown New Jersey | MapQuest.com

Those are "CAT" brand certified automated truck (CAT) scales. Other truck stops at major exits on the interstate might also have certified automated truck scales of different brand name. For example, before Pilot bought them out, most Flying J truck stops not in a city had "J"scales, which are the same as CAT scales. Maybe call Flying J and see if any of the Flying J truck stops nearer to you have certified truck scales.

Pilot Flying J

Or one time on the road we stopped at a Flying J that did not have a scale and asked them where the nearest truck scale was located. They told up - about a mile doen the street.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #17

I have a trip in May so I'll be able to weigh my setup again. I'll be able to remove everything but the people from the truck. I'm going to try moving my spring bars up one notch and move my tool boxes forward in the trailer so my tongue is not so light. We'll see what that shows. I'll try to weigh twice (with and without the bars) but I'm not sure my travel companions have the patience for that.... Since I have a tongue scale, would I still need to do this?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 04-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
I have a trip in May so I'll be able to weigh my setup again. I'll be able to remove everything but the people from the truck. I'm going to try moving my spring bars up one notch and move my tool boxes forward in the trailer so my tongue is not so light. We'll see what that shows. I'll try to weigh twice (with and without the bars) but I'm not sure my travel companions have the patience for that.... Since I have a tongue scale, would I still need to do this?

Thanks,

Joe

With just one run over a CAT scale with the bars you should get all three loaded axle weights.

That will allow you to check against GAWR, GCWR (using steer + drive + trailer axle weights) and the truck's GVWR (using steer + drive axle weights).

Good enough for the weight police.

If you want to see how the WDH is shifting weight around, another run is required w/o the bars cnched up.

And if you want separate estimates of the truck's and trailer's unhitched curb weight, you will want to unhitch the truck and weigh it separately. (you may be able to calculate these #'s without unhitching the trailer if you already have the tongue weight ... not sure)
brulaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
I'll try to weigh twice (with and without the bars) but I'm not sure my travel companions have the patience for that.... Since I have a tongue scale, would I still need to do this?

Yes, for more than one reason.

1. You need to know the gross weight of the trailer (trailer axles plus tongue weight, WITHOUT THE SPRING BARS TIGHT so you can determine percentage of tongue weight. Ideal is 12% to 13% tongue weight. 13% to 15% is okay if your tow vehicle has enough payload capacaity to handle the increased weight without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle. 10% tp 12% is okay as a last resort, but not nearly as good as 12% or more.

2. You need to know the weight on the front axle, rear axle, and trailer axles, with and without the spring bars tightened, so you can determine the percentage of gross tongue weight that is distributed to the various axles on the rig when the spring bars are tightened. The goal is 20% to 25% to the trailer axles, and 20% to 25% to the front axle, which leaves 50% to 60% on the rear axle. Tighten the spring bars to remove weight off the rear axle. Loosen the spring bars to add weight back onto the rear axle.

3. After you have achieved 50% to 60% tongue weight remaining on the rear axle, then adjust the the angle of the hitch head up or down to adjust the percent of tongue weight distributed to the front and trailer axles. The instructions that come with the WD hitch should explain the details of these adjustments.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #20

Smokey,

Now I get it. Ok, I'll move my weight, raise the bars one notch, and then weigh twice on the trip out. I'll have a chance to weigh again on the way back if needed.

I'll report back what I find.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #21

Thanks for the info on the scales....

it is a bit of a drive for me so I will call them to see what I need to do before going.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #22

Well we just got back from Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral this past weekend and I unfortunately wasn't able to hit the scales. I missed it on the way out. Then on the way back I had two little ones that needed to get to their ballet class, on Memorial DAY! We go out again in a few weeks. The trip is long enough that I'll have to stop and can use the scales.

I did move the weight out of the truck again but this time I placed it forward in the trailer. It towed much better this time, like it used to. Just need that scale to check on my limits.

Joe
Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #23

We were able to hit a CAT scale on our way home from Stone Mountain and with a full tank I'm over the Rear axle weight by about 310#. I did move the L bracket up one notch for this trip. It leveled out the truck to near perfect. The rear of the trailer was a tad lower than usual but not bad. It towed just fine. I also put my tool boxes in the front of the trailer instead of the rear to keep the tongue weight up. So I was able to remove 200# from the last time I towed but this time I had a kayak on the roof of the truck and two bikes inside the back of my truck. Total on the combo was 19,200#. So I think I'm a little closer. Getting the bikes hung on the rear of the trailer (with a proper mount) and maybe going on more of a diet (truck, trailer and me I might get down to a proper weight. Or I could just drive around with 1/8 of a tank all the time? All this being said, I'm lobbying stronger for a bigger truck...

Thanks for the help guys!

Joe

Tags
weight