Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 04:35 AM   #1

Where to take the truck for a spray in bedliner?

It is not easy but I bought a truck without a factory spray in bed liner. So that is one thing I need to get done.

Line-x, Rhino Liner, Zebart are the guys I heard of. Is this it?

Anyone have this done? Good, bad, and ugly?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
I had the Linex done on mine and seems to be fine so far. In fairness though all the truck does is tow. Haven't had much cargo in it and when I do it is secured so doesn't move around in the bed.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #3

I had the Line-X done to my truck. Used Yelp to find a place that specializes in putting it on. Looks good, and the bed is protected. Not sure if it is any better or cheaper than what the factory does. My truck came with the plastic bed liner originally, and I really did not care for it.

About the only negative that I can come up with, is the extra weight (not sure the amount), and you can't slide boxes towards the front of the bed. First world problems.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Years ago, I did a herculiner Berliner myself. Took 2 days of on and off work. Used two gallons at about $65 a piece. Probably about 6 thin coats and lots of prep work. Totally worth it though instead of the $500-$550 that Linex wanted. It held up great for the two years I owned the truck, but I wasn’t sliding massive boulders in and out of my truck, although I did use my bed regularly. Now my current truck has a linex Berliner from the factory, and I can feel the difference, but either way would meet my needs.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

I like the Line-X product, the prices in my are outrageous, though. I looked into it when I bought my truck three years ago, and decided to wait a year or two and have it done then to freshen up the truck.

Three years later, and I'm still waiting, and the bed looks almost new. Of course you can tell I don't work it hard. If I was tossing sharp edged items in there frequently I'd have sprayed it long ago.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #6

My old truck I had used Linex. I had the truck for 17 years with 350k miles and that linex liner was still going strong when I sold it. Yes it had some shovel nicks in it, some chainsaw scratches, multiple gasoline and oil spills on the tailgate refueling the chainsaw, the bed was dented a bit here and there from large rocks but the linex was still holding up. The only thing that was wrong with it was that it had faded from new. It did not bother me at all. First thing I did with my new truck was go get the bed Linexed.
While I have nothing against the others I have heard that rhino is softer. With the experience I have had with linex I likely will never try another one of them to compare. Lifetime warranty to boot though have no idea if it is any good as I never used it.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have used both LineX and Rhino. I feel that Rhino is softer and cuts easier. I used LineX to spray entire R-K tool box in lieu of painting and it held up amazingly well for 200K+ mi. Down side is it is very rough on the knees and can cause road rash. Rhino is a much smoother finish but less durable IMO.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #8

I had Rhino in my last truck, and just got LineX sprayed in my new truck. Have to say the LineX seems better - I don't foresee it peeling or tearing. The Rhino did gouge and tear a little bit. Either one is way better than just paint - took me all of two days to scratch my bed before getting is sprayed!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #9

I had Rhino sprayed in two trucks ago, but it was pretty soon after insurance fixed some bad hail damage. The paint shop did a crappy job and the Rhino liner bubbled as the paint separated. It laid back down though after a few days and seemed to hold up well. I think I like the factory spray in liner on my last two trucks better though. As someone said, the factory stuff, LineX I guess, is harder than Rhino.

Good luck!

Ken
Old 05-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

Can you trust a Line-x shop to do a good job? Does it look neat or is there over spray in places that you had to clean?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Mine has the factory option. I don't have a clue who did it or what brand it is but it's dang nice. I've had other trucks that I've bought that came with it and the stuff was rough and hard to kneel on if you're dinking around in the bed. This stuff is smother and less abrasive.
FYI 2018 Ram 2500.

Info doesn't help the OP, but IMO a trip to each installer to check out the product would be well worth it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #12

I had Line-X installed in Fort Worth on west side shop--they did an excellent job, no overspray, everything came out great. US wide warranty as I understand it. Holding up great after 27k miles/rocks/wood/tools/etc.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #13

My current understanding is if it is factory installed robotic sprayers put it on in a precise process.

After market is a human does the spraying.
There is a YouTube that shows after market is good...but shop to shop has to be different. I have two places I will check out.

Old story with after market stuff. Back in the Zeebart days with the rust proofing under coating...remember those days? Anyway 1st trip was not enough undercoating with missed spots. Complained, they added more undercoating with over spray...ugh, should not have complained.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #14

Over the years, I have had 10 or 12 sprayed-in liners done. Used both Line-X and Rhino, but mostly Line-X.
The Line-X seems tougher, thicker, holds it's color, and resists abuse better. The Rhino looks good at first, but is thinner, not as tough or rubbery, and fades fast. Given the choice, I would go Line-X every time.
Line-X dealers appear to be very well trained in applying the liner. I have used 4 different Line-X dealers, and all of them have done great jobs.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote