Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

Where to weigh

I have no idea how much my 1994 Gulfstream Tourmaster 5er weighs. The sticker on the front left has faded. I can make out that gvwr is 14,500 and gross for each axle is 6,000.

I went to a truck stop to get my f250 weighed and they said it didn't register on the scales because it didn't weigh enough. I guess when I head home I can weigh the truck and camper together but that won't help me figure front and rear axle or pin weight.

Any suggestions?
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #2

Find a CAT scale--it will weigh the truck just fine, and the trailer at the same time.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Our truck scales start at 20# and go up in 20# increments. Someone didn't want to bother with you. Go back on another shift.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

I asked the attendant about weighing and he seemed to want to help.

I just talked to another camper here at the park and he said maybe I hadn't pulled up to the proper section of the scales.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many places can weight it, I am surprised the Truck stop could not.. Scrap Iron yards can weight it. Farmer's elevators can weigh it

and Aweigh we go can weigh it but in this case they are kind of pricy.
RV Safety & Education Foundation I think. will edit if I get it wrong.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

in my area there is a sand, gravel and building stone supply company that I use. For about $20.00 I weigh the pick up front axle, both axles of the pickup, and the entire set up, Then I go off to the side and drop the trailer and just repeat with the pick up. Later I can figure all the weight distribution numbers
Old 05-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

The farmer who leases our land told me a local elevator has digital scales and is open 24/7. Also it's quiet this time of year and can take the time for me to figure axles and combined weight.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You need a CAT (certified automated truck) scale. Most big truck stops on the interstate exits will have a CAT scale. Or if you find a Flying J truck stop, they may have a J scale, which is the same thing as a CAT scale.

Here's the link to locate a CAT scale:
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

And here's the link to locate a Flying J or Pilot truck stop:
Pilot Flying J

Pilot recently bought Flying J. The Pilot truck stops will probably have a CAT Scale. Some of the older Flying J truck stops still have their J scale, but some of the newer ones now have a CAT scale. And of course, some truckstops don't have a truck scale of any kind.

You can weigh your rig on single-pad scales such as the scales at grain elevators, livestock auction barns, cotton gins, sand&gravel retailers such as many cement plants, moving and storage warehouses, etc. But that's not as satisfying as using the 3-pad or 4-pad CAT scales or J scales. A CAT or J scale will give you separate weights for the front axle, rear axle, and trailer axles of your rig, as well as the gross weight of your rig.

Most CAT scales out west charge $10 for the initial weighing, then $2 or $3 for a reweigh within an hour or so of the initial weighing. I've never asked if I could get a second reweigh for the reweigh price, but I suspect you can.

If you have a tongue weight scale, then two passes over the CAT scales is all you need: once with the spring bars tightened and once without the spring bars. But if you don't have a tongue weight scale, then you need to weigh the pickup without the trailer. Those three scale tickets give you all you need to compute tongue weight, weight distribution percentages, GVW, GAW, and GCW.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #9

I always keep my eyes open for DOT scales along the highways that are closed down for the night or weekend, the scales are still operational, at least most of them. I get all axle or corner weights for free, but you don't want to interfere with their normal operation.
I see this as a form of courtesy from the DOT to leave the scales on so that people like us get peace of mind and a chance to do the right thing. They are there to keep the roads safe so why not take advantage.
Just saying

Edit: I agree with other posters to go to grain elevators and such, the disadvantage is you usually only get the weight of the whole rig and not axle or corner weights.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #10

My feed store has a mill and platform scales. It easily weighs my trucks front and rear axles and each trailer axle. Just simply stop and get a weight before the next axle rolls on the scales.

Non of my RVs or equipment trailers had axles/tires that were close to being at max so I was never concerned with the corners.

Not many CAT scale owners/operators will allow the truck to have one drive wheel off the scales . Better ask before doing so.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

If you are ever near Oregon you can stop at any of their closed truck scales and weigh to your hearts content. Just weighed four corners about 3 weeks ago.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #12

I get a kick out of the statement 'I have no idea'. You actually do have a good idea. You know your rig weighs more than 1 pound, and less then 100,000 pounds to start with. Using that method sounds like you know your rig weighs between 13,000 to 20,000 pounds. Just as an example you do have some idea of what it weighs.

Ok - back to your question.

Any CAT scale at any truck stop is your best bet. Flying J, Loves, T/A etc.

Usually $10 for the 1st weigh and much less for the 2nd.

One issue that you will run into. The call button will be very high. My 1st attempt I pulled onto the scales but could not reach the call button to notify anyone in the building to record the weights. I just pulled off the scales and continued on my way.

The next time I had a golf club to reach up and hit the call button and got successful weights with printout. You can make your own stick with knob at the end as you will need to reach up about 2' to 3' higher than you can from your pickup truck.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The next time I had a golf club to reach up and hit the call button and got successful weights with printout. You can make your own stick with knob at the end as you will need to reach up about 2' to 3' higher than you can from your pickup truck.
Or if you're not too severely handicapped, you can roll down the driver's window, crawl out the window and stand on the window sill and reach the call button. I'm about 5'7" and that works for me.

On my to-do list is a project to make a CAT scale call-button tool using a 4' length of 3/4" PVC pipe with a 3/4" PVC "Tee" on one end, an a 3/4" PVC plug screwed or glued into the open ends of the tee. Keep that tool in the "basement" of my TT and get it out only when I need to reach the call button without standing on the window sill.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote