Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #1

I have been towing w/ an E-350 Powerstroke diesel van, but am adding a Jeep Cherokee as a tug for my 3200# Casita TT.

The Ford uses an old time-delay brake controller, but given the lighter weight and smaller brake capacity Cherokee (vs. my one-ton van), I want a better controller.

I was thinking of a Dexter Preator DX2, an inertial pendulum proportional type controller like the Prodegy everyone praises:
Prodigy

Dexter Brake Controller

Since it's made/sold by Dexter, who makes trailer axles I thought it should be good, especially for $60 delivered.

Anyone using this one, or have feelings why I should use another one?

Thanks,
Bob
Waxahachie, TX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #2

I have been towing w/ an E-350 Powerstroke diesel van, but am adding a Jeep Cherokee as a tug for my 3200# Casita TT.

The Ford uses an old time-delay brake controller, but given the lighter weight and smaller brake capacity Cherokee (vs. my one-ton van), I want a better controller.

I was thinking of a Dexter Preator DX2, an inertial pendulum proportional type controller like the Prodegy everyone praises:
Prodigy

Dexter Brake Controller

Since it's made/sold by Dexter, who makes trailer axles I thought it should be good, especially for $60 delivered.

Anyone using this one, or have feelings why I should use another one?

Thanks,
Bob
Waxahachie, TX

Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #3

I haven't owned the Dexter, or even know of anyone that has, but I have seen that not all pendulum/inertia proportional controllers are created equal.

Some seem to react to bumps with jolts to the trailer brakes, and/or seem slow to react.

I do know a few people who have the Prodigy, and I think it has earned it's reputation on many discussion threads as the best choice in a deceleration sensing controller. It seems a lot of people consider it the 3rd best controller on the market overall, behind the Brakesmart and Jordan Ultima...

Anyway, I can't comment on how the Dexter is, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Prodigy. It would be a big step up from any timer based controller.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brakesmart is the best, Jordan Ultima 2020 is a close 2nd and Prodigy is a distant 3rd. The Jordan is apparently not in production at the moment as it is being redesigned and he sold it to another manufacturer.

Prodigy is better than the old pendulum types, but is basically an electronic version that uses accelerometer to sense deceleration and has a time-delay ramp up and a boost.

I had a Prodigy and put it in a garage sale for $20.00 after two trips and got a Jordan. Never a problem with the Jordan and it is in it's second truck.

Ken
Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #5

Tekonsha makes both the Prodigy and Primus controllers. Both have the same internals, but the Primus has fewer exterior bells and whistles. This Primus has a 15 yr warranty, the Prodigy, limited lifetime. Both are a truly proportional controller. Both are available for <$100 if you shop the net.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #6

Thanks, all.

After the responses here, and virtually everywhere else I've investigated, I think I have settled on the Jordan, though as was pointed out, it is presently unavailable until a new model comes out in 2-3 months.

Being mechanically tied to the brake pedal appeals to me.

In the meantime I'll wire up an electronic one to tide me over.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #7

I've been using the Jordan for over 4 years now. I don't have any complaints about the unit. Installation is pretty simple and setup is a snap.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #8

Thanks, GRW. Good to know it's kept you happy over the long run.

Bob
K1WNK
N1CNN
Waxahachie, TX
Old 03-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #9

Hi I had a Prodogy for three years and had great success with it I bought it used on Ebay for 50.00 and after using it for three years I resold it on Ebay and got 42.00 for it The DW and I bought a new camper and keep it at a perminant site year round so we had no use for it anymore I would buy another Prodogy any time PS It even operates while going in reverse

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 AM   #10

Prodigy has served me well for years and for the money, its the best value out there.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #11

Spend the bucks and get a Brakesmart, you will never regret it. JMHO

David
Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #12

I am wanting a brakesmart, but where can you get them now? Since they quit making them last year, all the links I had are out of buisness or want to sell you something else.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #13

I believe Hensley Mfg. (a.k.a.: Hensley Arrow Hitch) sells a reincarnation of this brake controller.

Bob
Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gearman:
I am wanting a brakesmart, but where can you get them now? Since they quit making them last year, all the links I had are out of buisness or want to sell you something else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dr. Performance bought the manufacturing rights to the Brakesmart. You can purchase directly from them - HERE.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote