Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

Truly sorry for your problems! I just hate people thinking that they can "bulletproof" those engines.
I'm not. I came out just about even. I feel bad for the people that spent 20, 30, 40+thousand on thos trucks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #30

There is only one thing wrong with the 6.0l diesel. The Ford choice of coolant ruined the reputation of this fine engine. The Electro Hydraulic injectors were improved and for me the best in the industry. That is if the truck is driven hard and not idled.
I flushed my antifreeze to late and plugged the oil cooler. Changed it and plugged the EGR Cooler to prevent Head Gasket failure.
Bullet proofing for me is a mith and cash cows for the dealers. No one told me about the coolant until my oil cooler plugged.
Since then I have helped a lot of my friends with their 6.0s and they are solid. Just a change of coolant is what is required. I don't even flush. Just switch coolant.
As far as Idling it's a known problem for all modern diesel. And has to be avoided.

I had experience with cash cow services when I owned my to previous GM diesels. The famous 6.2l and the 6.5l. My trucks were great. But the propaganda almost ruined GMs reputation and they finally designed the Duramax. I learn everything by observing other's problems while the fix was actually none existent, as I just ignore some requirements and relocated or removed failed parts.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #31

I bought my used 2004.5 GMC Duramax 5 years ago, paid cash. Since then we have pulled two different 5th wheels over 22K miles including one coast to coast and numerous trips to Colorado and all over the PNW. I do almost all my own maintenance and minor repairs like front wheel bearings and adding updates etc. Looked at the other trucks in that year & price range and my research concluded the D/A combo was the best value. New truck is out of the question with $70K tag, my fully loaded 10 year old truck is still worth nearly what I paid for it. Plus, no DEF/DPF issues.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #32

trucks

i was looking for a RAM pickup either new or recent used. i found a 2013

with 12,000 miles. priced a new one, $2000 more. its a no-brainer.

pickups hold their value some more some less. you might have

tp move up in cost

Jim.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #33

Ford should throw the towle on diesel engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
i was looking for a RAM pickup either new or recent used. i found a 2013

with 12,000 miles. priced a new one, $2000 more. its a no-brainer.

pickups hold their value some more some less. you might have

tp move up in cost

Jim.
Izuzu design and builds the duramax,cummins designs and builds for Ram..Ford should give it up and let a real diesel manufacture design and build one for them such as Cat,Detroit or Manns...
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #34

But the Europeen Ford diesels are some of the best modern diesel manufacturers. Forget the american diesel technology. Everyone gave up years ago.
International almost lost their name by selling the Max Force to Ford which ruined it with the wrong application of coolant.
Why would anyone else sell to Ford.
Here I am both for and against but I feel the best medium duty diesel engines are manufactured offshore. Example VW can stay ahead of everyone without trying.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Earlier poster stated "when RVing, especially far from home one needs the most reliable tow vehicle possible". I'll 2nd & 3rd that.

Need it be a new or rather new vehicle, maybe. Slightly used, better yet low miles. A vehicle model and or years that has a track record of bad things happening. Well, when you start throwing 10,000 or 15,000 pounds at her, a 9% grade, and it's 95 degrees outside, she just might fail.

I couldn't sleep if I knew at any point something major or a break-down was around the corner, because I have a vehicle with 150k miles, road hard and put away wet. If your "full timing" Ok you have the time to stay somewhere to get it fixed. But, if your on a one or two week vacation...500 or 1000 miles from home?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #36

I would hope that I could assume that the 2015 Fords no longer use the wrong kind of coolant on the diesels.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 AM   #37

They are OK now. I had more problems with my new 98 GM diesel then any others that I bought. After all transports run at high mileage and no one worries.
With a heavy load problems will show early in the trip and one can baby it the rest of the way. I do travel with my scangaugeIi and able to observe all the data required for towing with my older truck. Did 3 2000 milles return trips with a 2.9L 1/4 ton Ranger towing a 5600 lbs trailer and never had any trouble. The truck had over 100000 miles at the beginning.
The old days It was a problem but now I never worry. Some hot shots have over 500k miles on their trucks. Trucks need to work hard to stay hot and lubricated. That's where the Ford coolant broke down, plugged the oil cooler, failed the EGR cooler, hydralock the engine and busted the head gassdket. The ScangaugeII can worn of any engine problems before taking the big trip.
I once had a failing pump control on the famous 6.5L and made it 5k miles by using ice pack to cool it for startup. GM warranty repair appointment was 2 weeks wait. I bought a spare pump control module and made it home in time to do the modifications. See the new truck on warranty was no better.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I would hope that I could assume that the 2015 Fords no longer use the wrong kind of coolant on the diesels.
Ford and International parted ways in 2011.
The 6.7 (scorpion) is a 'in house' design and build,a few very rare but expensive high pressure fuel pumps have failed (bosch cp.4)
Other wise dead reliable.

hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel