Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #15

What truck you got and what are you towing? I don't have a fifth wheel but it seems many of the newer 5'ers can be towed with a short bed and no slider. I have seen a couple of the Grand Design trailers behind short bed Rams turning pretty darn tight backing in with no problems. I wager they could hit if they tried but that would be in an extreme situation. I understand the slider if you have a flat nose trailer. In my research I am finding more of an issue with truck beds being so tall they have clearance issues with the pin box, long and short bed.
And BW does have a hitch that fits in your pucks. You still need 3-4 big nephews or a hoist to remove it, but nice hitch. Not a slider though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We used the pullrite slider and, as stated, it can come apart...
In fact, it's in two pieces on my garage floor since I no longer have the truck and 5'er - if you lived closer you could have a great slider for a great price

Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #17

I have the Pullrite 2900. It comes apart in three pieces, but is still heavy -220lbs total. What is nice about it is an automatic slider, so you don't have to get out to manually slide the hitch.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #18

I ended up getting the pull right 2900 I'm surprised the head only moves front to back, my reese went side to side as well. I'm wondering if that will make for a rougher ride.
I am looking forward to the auto slide., and I have a mor ryde pin box, and mor ryde makes a special plate for the pull rite, which is nice, I just have to remove the stock plate and install the new one. I wont have some universal plate just bolted over my king pin.

Bob, while I agree with you on the looks of the newer fifth wheels, I speak from experience that any short bed truck should have a slider. My last fifth wheel was actually a grand design, and there was a turn I though I could make, and guess what, crunch, all because I was last and didn't get out to slide it. now I will say that this was a turn close to 90degrees when it happened, and every other turn I made with that I always had enough room, but there might be that one time when u need the slider, and if you don't have it, your gonna be stuck..
Old 03-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #19

"I ended up getting the pull right 2900 I'm surprised the head only moves front to back"

You will have a bitch of a time hooking and unhooking if the truck and RV are sitting at different angles side to side. if your hitch is still unused I would swap for a fully articulating head.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #20

You could also damage your camper pin box. We can get into some rather off level spots that would really stress your box.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #21

A Pullrite Superglide 2900 should have side to side rocker movement as well. It isn't easy to move by hand though. I used a Superglide for 3 years before moving to the big truck.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post
I ended up getting the pull right 2900 I'm surprised the head only moves front to back...
No problem as long as you plan ahead and never unhook the trailer when the truck and trailer are not straight with each other, and best if they are both level, side to side. If not level side to side, then at least the truck and trailer must both be leaning the same direction and at the same angle to the world.

But if you must park the trailer where the trailer is not straight with the truck, or if the truck and trailer are leaning sideways at different angles, then DO NOT disconnect the kingpin from the hitch.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I had disconnected and hitched with the Pullrite and when not straight more than once...

one of our favorite spots @ Mill Creek in Canton is on the lake, but for some reason they put the sites with the door side facing AWAY from the lake and utilities on that side too...

I just turn around and go in backwards!
the drop off from that side was REALLY bad, like 40 degrees... I just had to ensure I was within 16 degrees of straight and as close to the same level as possible... then all went well...
I always got an audience when I did that though, people just KNEW I wouldn't make it
Old 03-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #24

Well I guess ill find out. I did read in the manual it does have side to side movement but it just must be different then my Reese's which moves freely. The pull rite was highly recommended on anther forum I frequent. It was recommended by so many I can't see it being an issue for the side to side movement
Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #25

You might want to look at the Hijacker. They have both a slider and non-slider. We had one on our fiver and what I liked is that it was virtually impossible to somehow mess up. It will not clank shut unless the pin is in the right place and then it closes automatically. And once shut you cannot pull the lever without taking the weight off the hitch--impossible to pull the lever, move the truck, and let the trailer fall on the tailgate or rails. I think it is one of the best out there...just not a big name.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #26

We just bought an Entegra so the B&W Companion will be headed to the classified section soon. Just wanted to add that not only do they make a great product they are a great little company. There was a piece on the National News when the RV market tanked a few years ago and it was about them putting employees to work in local community projects rather than laying them off.