Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Which Fifth Wheel Hitch to Buy?

So I have decided to upgrade, and I am down to 3. The Reese Elite 20K 30084, the Reese Titan 20K 30870, or the Pull Rite 18K 2900
Thoughts? I have always had Reese

I like the pull rite for the autoslide, but that's the only feature I like. It weighs more than the others, and as far as I know, u have to remove it in one piece. I always take it out so getting it in and out of the truck is important, the reese can be removed in 2 pieces.

So, help me out here..thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

I have installed two of the b&w companions for friends and I was impressed. Its not what I have, but would probably make it my next one.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have installed two B&W's myself. 1st one was a turnover ball Companion in my 07 Chevy 3500. The 2nd was a Ford OEM Companion. If I ever buy another, it will be a B&W.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #4

B&W slider is TOP quality! If you want auto slide the PullRite is the best.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

I have seen the B and W, but I didn't see them with a slide that will fit my OEM ram pucks
Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post
I have seen the B and W, but I didn't see them with a slide that will fit my OEM ram pucks

Demco picture frame adapter. One that is US Made. Most are not!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

I already have the Reese adaptor. works good, wouldn't mind a hitch that didn't require the adaptor though
Old 03-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

I would assume B&W is designing a slider that will directly attach to the pucks.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

well that's great LOL but I need a hitch now
Old 03-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

The Pullrite can be removed in 2 pieces. We used one for 25k plus miles wth ZERO issues. Great hitch and company. I sold the hitch when we went with the bigger truvk.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
well that's great LOL but I need a hitch now
Why not go for the one that Ram intended to plug into the 5er prep pkg - the Reese Elite 20k slider?
http://www.amazon.com/30160-Capacity...e+Elite+slider

Notice the name is 25k, but that's when installed in a Ford. In a Ram it's rated to 20k.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

I saw that one and would love to use it, but I need the slide hitch, I have a short bed pickup. The reese I have been looking at is the reese 20K Elite with the slide. Same head, just on the kwick slide. Someone mentioned that the pull rite can be separated into 2 pieces to be removed, is that a one person job or do you still need to people to lift the pieces in and out of the truck?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I saw that one and would love to use it, but I need the slide hitch, I have a short bed pickup. .
The one linked to in post 11 claims to be:
"REESE Elite 30160 Fifth Wheel 25000 lb Load Capacity with Slider ..."

But then the fine print says
"Direct fit for RAM trucks with OE tow package
Rated for 20,000 lbs. capacity / 5,000 lbs. pin weight capacity

So it's rated 25k gross trailer weight in a Ford, but 20k in a Ram with the factory 5er prep kit.

However, I suspect that listing is an error. The Reese 30160 does not include a slider per ReeseProd.com. The 18k Reese Elite with slider costs over $2000, so I suspect that 20k with slider cannot be had for less than $900.

Quote:
The reese I have been looking at is the reese 20K Elite with the slide. Same head, just on the kwick slide.
No can do and plug into the Ram 5er prep kit, per the Reese website.

Reese - Square Tube Slider

Note that the Kwic Slide requires rail kits 30035 or 30095. Both of those are in-bed rails, not the Elite under-bed rails. So you would still have to use an adapter of some sort to use your Ram's factory Elite-series prep kit. So double-check with your installer and be certain he knows what he's doing.

Quote:
Someone mentioned that the pull rite can be separated into 2 pieces to be removed, is that a one person job or do you still need to people to lift the pieces in and out of the truck?
Those puppies are HEAVY. Per the SuperGlide FAQ:
5. How much does my SuperGlide weigh?
16k #2700 -- 194 lbs.
18k #2900 -- 224 lbs.
24k #2300 -- 270 lbs.

Yeah, it's relatively easy to remove just the FIFTH WHEEL PLATE ASSEMBLY and ROCKER ARM, but that still leaves too much weight for an old man like me to remove by simply lifting it out of the bed. But there is a work-around in the FAQ of the Owner' Guide:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlide FAQ
6. Can I leave the hitch attached to my trailer and use the trailer jacks to lift the hitch out of the truck?

Yes, you can use the trailer jacks to lift the hitch out of the truck. The hitch should not however be left hanging from the king pin. Once you have the hitch lifted out of the truck you should have a stand available to lower the hitch onto for storage.
I would make a stand out of construction lumber with a heavy plywood top and about four feet wide, and make it just exactly the right height so you'd need to lower the suspended hitch only a couple of inches to get it onto the stand. Then leave it on the stand but disconnect the hitch from the kingpin and raise the trailer back up a hair so there is no weight on the kingpin.

Just be sure the stand is on solid ground so it won't turn over too easily.

Then when you want to hook it back up, lower the kingpin back into the hitch and connect it. Move the stand out of the way, then back the tow vehicle back under the hitch to install the hitch back into the truck.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

smokey thanks.
yeah the reese 30084 is thre elite 20K with the same kwick slide I have now on my 16K. It wont fit in the RAM pucks, but I already have the rail adaptor that goes with the pucks so it will fit in that once that is locked in the truck Would just be nice to loose the extra adaptor.
That's my hang up with the pull rite, I live the auto slide but the in/out of the truck is a pain in ther but it seems, and I always remove my hitch when I'm not towing since I need my truck bed. I think I am just going to end up wit hthe reese and keep doing what I have been for years, and manually sliding it. I found the reese at reese-hitches.com for 959 with free shipping. Tweetys has the pull rite for 1089 +another 130 ish for the capture plate.