RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Which hitch.?

Bought a 2020 Chevy 3500hd. Need a new hitch with pucks. Looking for opinions on wether to go with B & W companion 20k or the Curt 20k. Or other option if available,

Thanks Doug

Carriage Cameo 35sb3. 15,000 lbs

Captainkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

Neither.

TrailerSaver BD3 with the adapter, if you want a traditional fifth wheel hitch. I've had the Curt, the B&W, the TS BD3 and a couple others and the only one that stood out is the TS. I don't understand the B&W hype. Between the Curt and the B&W, I prefer the latching mechanism of the Curt and found the jaw tolerances to be about the same. I get that B&W is an American company and manufactures them here in the USA, but if you are comparing the products themselves, I don't find them particularly special.

Reese Goosebox v2 with a Curt gooseneck ball kit if you want to keep your bed clean, and have compatible pinbox wings. This is what I'm currently running and am very happy with it so far.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

Both seem built good. I have the B&W companion. It is the single point not the pucks. Great hitch. My friend has a 2018 Chevy with a B&W with the pucks. Works great. They have great customer service.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

When we had our toy hauler weíve had both curt and pullrite, both were great...no experience with the b&w. You didnít mention bed length, I assume 8í and donít need a slider...but if you do, go automatic. You have to watch rail height, our 3500drw high country was tall and the trailer ran close on slight off cambers, donít run the hitch high to avoid this...the rear tires on the 5er will thank you.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Buy a TrailerSaver and be done. There worth every cent. All solid mount hitches are obsolete in my opinion.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

Be careful. GM changed their puck specifications for 2020. I know B&W has different model numbers for 2020 trucks as opposed to 2019. If you use the gooseneck ball mount with the GM puck system, the ball will be around 4 inches aft of the axle centerline (FYI). GM has engineered it that way as they feel there is an advantage (maybe cab clearance).

The superior GM puck mounted hitch would be a Trailer Saver BD5. However, can't say for sure if it will fit your 2020 truck.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #7

I bought a new B&W base when I got the new truck and just transferred my Companion to the new base. I run a short box with no sliders. That way for four 5ers and never a problem.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #8

I bought a used Curt Q20. I repainted, new decals (free from Curt), new bolts, and new
rubber suspension components.

Total investment: $200 and the hitch performs well, the rubber components do a credible job.

We also have a TrailAir pin box and air ride axles on 5'r.

Smooth
Old 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Thanks

Thanks for the great responses. I should have provided a bit more info. I had a 2015 F350 up until last week when I traded for this one.--- (due to death wobble issues over the last year.) I had then and have now the standard bed. I towed with a non slider for the 5 years without an issue but on the fence a bit as to whether to go slider option. If as Celcild said if hitch is moved back a few inches from before I would not hesitate to go non slider. Previously I had a Curt Q20 that I got with RV and had no issues with it but more than willing to go to any other reliable brand. Only slider I have looked at so far is the pullrite superglide. Doug

Captainkoop is offline   Reply With Quote