Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #15

You can tell what I'd get.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You can tell what I'd get.
A Cummins in something other than a Dodge right . . .
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #17

If your looking at MS you will need 1Ton dually
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #18

"Would like a reliable truck for years to come also. Any insights in a new truck brand?"...

Try a used Volvo, or a KW, or a Pete...they will outlast you, will tow and stop your TH with ease and you can buy one for less than half of a new 1 Ton LDT...use the money you save to take your lady on a cruise....

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #19

Right now the Ram has set the standard the others will try to catch. They have the highest tow ratings, GCWR, horsepower and torque, and best available trans. I drove one a few days ago and loved it!
Only YOU can decide what is right for YOU. Look and drive all 3 and see what is comfortable, remembering that different trim levels will have different levels of comfort.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #20

My only advice is do not drive a new RAM/Cummins 2013MY 6.7L diesel truck. My reasoning is your wallet will be about $55,000 poorer. Best pick-up truck on the market today (3500HD).

I drove one at the CMEP Rally this year held by TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) in Columbus IN and wanted to trade my 08 right there and then.

The CFO of my household said no we do not need any car/truck payments now since we are both retired. She also stated what would I do with the $7K in attachments on my truck now? So I will keep the 08 awhile longer.

Jim W.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #21

I assume you mean Chevy 3500 HD why do you think it's the best on the market?? Your user name would suggest other wise.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #22

"do not drive a new RAM/Cummins 2013MY 6.7L diesel truck. My reasoning is your wallet will be about $55,000 poorer".....

Which is why I suggested a HDT....
in fact, I test drove my KW in Columbus in '07. It cost me $20K, with another $7.5 K to set it up for RV use. I realize they are not for everyone, but there is a lot of bad info floating around the web, concerning ownership, licensing, insurance, etc.....If I can answer anyone's questions, feel free to ask, or go to the HDT thread on the Escapees forum site for a ton of valuable information.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #23

Also...which of the 3

We will be selling our Class C next year and outfitting ourselves for FTing with a 38-40 ft. 5er and truck. Plan to buy used for the truck (1 or 2 years old) and maybe the 5er also. I'm convinced the diesel 1 ton dually is the way to go. Along with reliability, comfort is important to us, especially the wife. All 3 late models seem to have sufficient performance for our demands. Anyone have any input on the reliability and comfort issues? I have always been a GM buyer, and the reviews & other reading I have done say the Chevy/GMC 3500-HD's have a superior ride when unloaded.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Dodge cummins and don't look back
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
That emphatically has not been the case since the demise of the 47/48RE 4 speed automatics on December 31, 2006. The 6-speed 68RFE and the Aisin 6-speed that were introduced with the 6.7L Cummins both have sterling reputations in heavy towing applications. The 2014 Ram 3500 DRW pickups are available with either of the 2 transmissions; selection of the Aisin also brings a horsepower and torque upgrade to 385/850. GCWRs are available up to 37,000 lbs.

Drive 'em all and take your choice.

Rusty
Cummins is the best when it comes to reliability, no one is perfect, but Cummins seems to have it figured.
Then Duramax, GM with the DM and Alli is a good combo, Ford went on a down hill spiral when they dropped the 7.3, now on their own new 6.7, too early to tell.

I was a Ford man until it came time to get a diesel.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #25

Have a 3500 SRW and I love my truck. I did buy new and is top of the line LTZ
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
A Cummins in something other than a Dodge right . . .
That is right Dodge is proud of the Cummins engine, and they have been bringing up the quality of the wrapper to match the engine.
I will say the used 01 Ram I bought at 234,000 miles is still a solid truck, but I have spent more on maintenance on the truck than the engine.
The biggest expense on the truck was about $500 for new ball joints.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone View Post
"do not drive a new RAM/Cummins 2013MY 6.7L diesel truck. My reasoning is your wallet will be about $55,000 poorer".....

Which is why I suggested a HDT....
in fact, I test drove my KW in Columbus in '07. It cost me $20K, with another $7.5 K to set it up for RV use. I realize they are not for everyone, but there is a lot of bad info floating around the web, concerning ownership, licensing, insurance, etc.....If I can answer anyone's questions, feel free to ask, or go to the HDT thread on the Escapees forum site for a ton of valuable information.
Regards
Gemstone
X2 on the HDT idea
No way would I To a5er that size with "Just enough truck".
My truck is a class 7 truck and it gets better MPG and really is easier(than a 1 ton) to drive because its not working hard at all.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #28

I agree with what some of the others have said - an HDT needs to be considered. While an HDT is not the truck for everyone, until you know the FACTS about one, you will not be able to make an educated decision. Once you investigate, you may decide that an HDT is not the right truck for your situation....but you will not know without the data collection.

I have some info on my website you may find useful....link in my signature. I'm happy to answer questions here or via email....