Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #1

I have a new Jayco Jay Feather on order, the 29N, 30' GVRW of 6100Lb. Now I don't want a desiel, so I am down to a Chevy 2500HD 6.0L and a Dodge 2500 5.7L,Which one?

Thanks,

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #2

I have a new Jayco Jay Feather on order, the 29N, 30' GVRW of 6100Lb. Now I don't want a desiel, so I am down to a Chevy 2500HD 6.0L and a Dodge 2500 5.7L,Which one?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I would rather have the Chevy but I am sure just as many would rather have the Dodge. A lot of the reason for the Chevy is the Dodge dealer here or the service manager. It been 15 years since I had a Chrysler product but he still there and I still remember.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #4

Since you are set on no diesels, I would personally get the Chevy. I think it will get a little better gas milage based on my experiences with Chrysler products. Again I think the seats and interior are a little nicer in the Chevy. But I am one that is comfortable with the age of the chevy and like the way things work compared to the other two. No matter which you choose I personally think you will not be really happy because the small block is really not up to towing as comfortably as larger motors. The 8.1L will tow much better and from all reports I have read the fuel milage is actually better towing than the 6.0L. No matter what we think or say, you are the ones that will need to make the payments, so pick what is comfortable and pleasing to you.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #5

The reason I don't want the diesel is because we won't be full or even 2/4 time on the road and I can't justify the extra ~$5,000 for the engine....
I'll have to look at the Chevy 8.1 this weekend, I have been reading that Chevy has a new Avalanche (sp?) that comes with the 8.1, that could be an interesting TV.
So, I am guessing the the F-250 with the 5.4 isn't enough for a TV either?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If you'll check the resale values, here in Texas especially, you'll get the additional cost of the diesel back at trade-in or resale. I learned this with my 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 V-10 when I bought my current truck. The 1996 was in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition - looked and drove like new - but no one wanted a "gasser".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #7

Jim, file this is the FWIW folder.

I run a '04 GMC SLT ext cab 2500HD with the 6L engine. I commute 60 miles/day. Running unloaded, commuting I get 16 mpg consistently (320 miles/20 gallons). I tow a pop up that wieghts around 2500#. It costs me 2 mpg to tow the camper.

This is a standard truck, the only enhancements are a Lund Genesis tonneau cover, a Lund Intercepter hood guard and Husky mud flaps. I run the tires at 80 psi. The truck is rated to pull 10,300 lbs and has a load capacity of 3750 lbs.

I'm quit sure this will pull your new Jayco without any trouble and be reasonable as a daily commuter. The 8.1L engine is a lot of engine to feed on a daily basis.

I would lean towards the GM product. But then again, I'm biased.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #8

Knute,

Thanks for the informatiion, this Sat. I am going back to the Chevy dealer to give the Silverado 6.0 and 8.1 a hard look, they do have the best prices and warrenty..

Jim
Old 10-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jim, They are dealing like crazy on 06 and what they are calling 07 classic HDs - because there is a new generation coming out next spring. The 6.0L is getting even more HP and torque along with a new 6sp auto. It will still have the 10,000 lb tow rating - ample for your rig. There will also be a 1/2T MAX towing package that has the 6.0MAX engine, and the 4speed auto and rear axle from the HD series - they are also going to offer the towing mirrors on the 1/2T rigs too. Also new for 07 will be an even stiffer frame with rack and pinion steering and coil over shock front suspension. If you go to the Chevy web site you can look at the specs - however the build your truck section only lets you build a crew cab. GM is also holding base prices on the 07s the same as the 06. My TV is still OK for my TT, so I am waiting for the 2500 HD with the 6 speed - although I thought long and hard over the 1/2T MAX tow package. The EPA fuel milage is 16/19 for that combination - I think that the double OD in the 6sp trany will get better than that (non towing of course) Also the low 1 and close coupled 2-4 should make for optimal towing. Check it out at www.gmpowertrain.com and www.chevy.com
Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 AM   #10

A friend has a Dodge 2500 w/5.7 and he really likes it. He was just by our house showing it, and said he averaged 15.5 mpg driving from IN to SD at interstate speed limits. His only load was two guys in cab, change of clothes, and two rifles each.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #11

Randy,
I am going to look at the GMC 2500HD Classic tomorrow with the 6.0 and 8.1L, the prices do look good...What in your opinion is different between the GMC and Chevy 2500HD?

Thanks,

Jim

The Dodge is out of the picture, we had a new 92 Ply. van that bit us big on maint. and my wife keeps reminding me of that.....We still have a bad taste in our mouth from that..
Old 10-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy the sly old fox:
Jim, They are dealing like crazy on 06 and what they are calling 07 classic HDs - because there is a new generation coming out next spring. The 6.0L is getting even more HP and torque along with a new 6sp auto. It will still have the 10,000 lb tow rating - ample for your rig. There will also be a 1/2T MAX towing package that has the 6.0MAX engine, and the 4speed auto and rear axle from the HD series - they are also going to offer the towing mirrors on the 1/2T rigs too. Also new for 07 will be an even stiffer frame with rack and pinion steering and coil over shock front suspension. If you go to the Chevy web site you can look at the specs - however the build your truck section only lets you build a crew cab. GM is also holding base prices on the 07s the same as the 06. My TV is still OK for my TT, so I am waiting for the 2500 HD with the 6 speed - although I thought long and hard over the 1/2T MAX tow package. The EPA fuel milage is 16/19 for that combination - I think that the double OD in the 6sp trany will get better than that (non towing of course) Also the low 1 and close coupled 2-4 should make for optimal towing. Check it out at www.gmpowertrain.com and www.chevy.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2 on what Randy said. I've had a lot of pickups, used for general purposes and towing, and I am sticking with GM. Since I haul a larger 5vr, I went with the diesel in order to comfortably tow the load and pull the steep grades out here in the West.

Here's a pic of the truck. It's an '06 Chev 1T Crewcab Diesel with all the goodies. This thing tows well and I especially love the tow/haul mode of the Allison trans.

Randy, greetings from a neighbor in Hillsboro!

Crew Cab, Banks Power
MADDOG` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #13

Thanks for the information, the Chevy/GMC is looking better all the time, especially with the 5yr. warrenty on the 07's....The toss up will be between the 6.0 & 8.1....

Jim
Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #14

I used to have a 2002 3/4 chevy with an 8.1 in it.

I did alot of reasearch before I purchased this truck, talked to people at gas station so and so on.

The people that had 6.0 were getting alittle bit less fuel mileage than than 8.1.
I couldn't believe it!!!
I know alot of it has to do with gearing, but I figured if the fuel mileage was that close, I'd rather have alittle bit more power.

I averaged between 13-16 highway

and usually 10 towing.

If you drive the two, you'll be able to tell the difference for sure.

Good luck and let us know which way you went
terry44 is offline   Reply With Quote