Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Which rails to use?

I have just ordered a 2011 GMC 3500 DRW CREW CAB. I HAD A 350 FORD which we pulled our fifth wheel with a Reese 16 ton hitch with universal rails. When i went to their web site they indicated that the rail kit was not recomended for a boxed frame. Any suggestions. I need the rail system because i also use it for the goose attachment for my flat bed and horse trl. thanks in advance for assistance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #2

Don't know exactly what rails you have, but I have a 20K Reese Select (been upgraded to 22K) hitch and just had the Rails installed in my 2011 3500HD Extend Cab Dually last week. RV Service Center ordered the custom bracket kit from Reese which installed without any drilling of the truck frame. This custom bracket lines up with holes already in the frame. Cost a little more than the universal brackets, but appears to be a much more solid mounting. Only holes that had to be drilled were through the bed of the truck to attach the rails to the brackets.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

What hitch did you decide on? I also wanted to ask you if you had any concerns with the bed rail height on the 2011 GMC 3500HD. I really want to order a new truck but it seems to sit alot higher than my current truck.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #4

The bed of the truck is the same height as my old 2005 3500 DRW, but the box sides are higher. I have a chest type tool box which sat flush with the sides of the old truck, but now sits almost 2 inchs below. I was lucky in that I had approx 8 inches clearance between the 5er and the sides on the old truck, so now I'm down to about 6, which is still with tolerance. With this set-up my 5er sits level which is right where I want it. The new Duramax is one heck of an engine and the new exhaust brake really slows the whole rig down without a problem.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go with the B&W turnover ball with 5th wheel companion hitch. This way you have the best of all wolrds and still have complete use of your bed. The other choise I would make would be the Pullrite 5th wheel hitch with the super rails, yes yo ucan also get an goose neck adapter kit for the superrails. This would also leave your bed clean when you relove the hitch but you will need a hoist to remove the hitch from the bed. I like this hitch best becasue of the way hicht pin is actually captured in the hitch and not just blocked in by a bar.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I had approx 8 inches clearance between the 5er and the sides on the old truck, so now I'm down to about 6, which is still with tolerance.
What is the tolerance?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

From what I've heard and read they like to see at least 6 inches. Go much less and you run the risk of TV/5er contact on the dips of some driveways/service stations. More is better if you can still keep the 5er nearly level.