Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Which style tow dolly

I have been reading alot about tow dollies and due to our vehicle situation I am convinced the dolly is the way I want to go. My question is whether to get the dolly with the swivel base or fixed. The reason I ask is because one of my vehicles has a steering wheel lock which works with a dolly that swivels but my other vehicle the steering wheel does not lock. Can you use a non-locking steering wheel on a dolly that has a swivel plate without doing something to the steering wheel?

RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

I say yes, others say no. My toad used to lock the steering but the pin broke, during a real tight turn.
I over swiveled the base, when I got jammed up in a small gas station.

Now the toad steering doesn't lock, but it still tows straight and true.

I have a Stehl Tow , surge brake dolly.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well it turns out I happen to come to find a almost new car-tow dolly for $800.00 with all the extras including surge brakes and although it was located several hundred miles away the seller happens to be coming through my town tomorrow and is delivering it to me. Doesn't get any better then that.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had both a swivel pan and a wheel steering one. Prefer the wheel steering one (KK-460) over the swivel pan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Have had both a swivel pan and a wheel steering one. Prefer the wheel steering one (KK-460) over the swivel pan.

I have rented UHaul dollys, (with swivel pan), on several occasions. I now own an Acme EZTow dolly with surge disc brakes.

The steering wheel unlocked dolly performs much better, is much lighter, much smaller, and has less parts to fail and maintain.

My Toyota Prius has a locking steering wheel. All I need to do is place the key into the ignition, turn it to the accessory position, and then back it off so that all the electrical doodads turn off. They key stays there, and I lock up with the fob.

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly