Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
I tow a 11200 lb 5er with a 2500 Dodge/Cummins short bed. With 2220 lbs of pin weight it puts my trucks 6000 RAWR at 5200 lbs.
What Rusty said.

RAWR is rarely the limiter on a three-quarter ton pickup. GVWR is usually the limiter. How much did you exceed the GVW with 2220 pounds of hitch weight?
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
CD

OP was asking about turning radius. Different makes & models are different. My Dodge dually, long WB has a very good turning radius. A friend has a Ford F250 also long WB that doesn't turn near as tight as mine does. I think his is a little shorter WB than mine. With my 28' trailers, if I could turn tighter I would hit the tongue.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Much of the discussion on this thread has dealt with GVWR. Although I know that you choose to ignore it, you might want to share where you stand relative to your manufacturer's GVWR just for the benefit of the newbies who are working their way through the numbers.

Rusty
Where I stand on GVWR has nothing to do with will the truck handle the size trailer mentioned.
Your focus is on GVWR thats fine. I don't question you for doing so.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
What Rusty said.

RAWR is rarely the limiter on a three-quarter ton pickup. GVWR is usually the limiter. How much did you exceed the GVW with 2220 pounds of hitch weight?
GVWR has no legal load carrying status. The load limiter is the trucks axles/tires. My trucks GVWR is 9000 lbs and has a 9160 GVW. I'm well under front and rear axle/tire ratings which is the load carrying limiter.

The GM has a 9200 GVWR and a lighter unladin gross weight and more importantly has a lighter unladin rear axle weight for carrying more weight than my Dodge, and will work fine for the size trailer mentioned.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
GVWR has no legal load carrying status. The load limiter is the trucks axles/tires.
Dodge's Bodybuilder's guide states the following on the pages that give the GVWR, GAWR, GCWR and maximum trailer ratings:

Quote:
3. ......Additionally, the GAWRs and GVWRs should never be exceeded.
Some individuals choose to size their tow vehicles accordingly in order to stay within the manufacturer's ratings. For them, GVWRs and actual GVWs are important.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #20

If you want to keep costs down....go buy a 5.9 Cummins Dodge Ram. You'll thank me later.

I've pulled a bigger trailer with a V10 Ram 3500 reg-cab. It worked great, but was thirsty though. It was kind of a neat party trick..."hey, look how much gas my truck burns lol". I can't complain though.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Dodge's Bodybuilder's guide states the following on the pages that give the GVWR, GAWR, GCWR and maximum trailer ratings:

Some individuals choose to size their tow vehicles accordingly in order to stay within the manufacturer's ratings. For them, GVWRs and actual GVWs are important.

Rusty
Others choose to use the GAWRs or the tire load placard or GCWR or payloads from the mfg website/etc/etc all claiming to stay within a manufacturers rating of some kind.

I, as many others, choose to use the manufactures certified RAWR for carrying hitch loads on my trucks rear axle/tires. That rating is certified by the trucks manufacturer and is on the certification placard (door tag).

Some owners (not all) with the new 3/4 and one ton SRW trucks with those high 10000 GVWR and 11500 GVWR are overloading their trucks rear axles when using GVWR to figure rear axle loads for certain configurated trucks.

Example; using GM weight calculator that figures in all options and std equipment is the 6.0 gas 2500 GM loaded out LTZ 4x4 extended cab 2wd with a 10000 lb GVWR and 4400 FAWR and 6200 RAWR has a payload of 3775 lbs when using GVWR. The same trucks rear axle has potential of 3647 lb payload. Using GVWR has overloaded the 2500 GM LTZ trucks rear axle/tires.

Some of the new Fords F350 SRW 11500 GVWR with certain configurations have even a higher rear axle overload potential.

Bigger trucks GVW is the sum of the axle ratings. Out LDT trucks are getting closer to that point.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Staying within the manufacturer's ratings, if one elects to do so, involves ALL the ratings - GVWR, GCWR, front GAWR and rear GAWR. One cannot look at only one rating and ignore the rest, and I don't believe I've seen anyone advocating conforming to GVWR and ignoring GAWRs. It's a "both/and", not an "either/or" approach. Generally, though, since GVWR has been significantly lower than the sum of the GAWRs, it's been the limiting factor among the manufacturer's ratings for SRW trucks. Your own situation illustrates this - under rear GAWR, but over GVWR.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's tough picking between what's the best tow rig and wanting a truck that is a good daily driver.

I didn't see it mentioned...so I'll just add a point worth remembering and comment on another point when shopping for a Tow Vehicle.

1. 4WD vs. 2WD - The turning radius is usually wider and GCWR usually lower with typical trucks if you chose a 4X4. Doesn't matter if you pick a Pick-up or SUV. This is all because of the weight and mechanicals in having the driven front driveline.

Having said that, I picked 4WD because there is really nothing that can replace the added traction - when you need it.

2. For the single vs. dual rear wheel thing, I picked DWR too. Same thing as 4WD, there's really no replacement for those extra tires in the back - when you need it. I have less worry about flats now than I had with my old SWR truck.

A Long Bed, 1 Ton, 4X4, DWR truck isn't really the best daily driver, but I still love it
Good luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Staying within the manufacturer's ratings, if one elects to do so, involves ALL the ratings - GVWR, GCWR, front GAWR and rear GAWR. One cannot look at only one rating and ignore the rest, and I don't believe I've seen anyone advocating conforming to GVWR and ignoring GAWRs. It's a "both/and", not an "either/or" approach. Generally, though, since GVWR has been significantly lower than the sum of the GAWRs, it's been the limiting factor among the manufacturer's ratings for SRW trucks. Your own situation illustrates this - under rear GAWR, but over GVWR.

Rusty
Exactly, well said.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would pick the new 12 F350 CC PSD SB SRW FX4 with 11,500 gvwr and tow package (7k rgawr) i tow a 14k trailer with mine and actually still have about 800-1k lbs left on my rear axle weight and gvwr, and 800 lbs below my gcwr. That should leave you plenty of room to play with as you are 600 less in the hitch, and 2k less gvwr in your rig. I think a three quarter ton may be ok but reallu close to your limits.
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #26

Seeing how this is my first time shopping for a truck to use for a fifth wheel trailer, I have to say it is very confusing. I know the previous owner of this trailer pulled it with a Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton. But I dont know if he was within the limits of all the different wieght limits. I told my wife that if we dont find a truck pretty soon, we will have to go camping in the dealers parking lot where the trailer currently sits. I think he has free doughnuts and coffee though. Ha-ha
timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberframe
Seeing how this is my first time shopping for a truck to use for a fifth wheel trailer, I have to say it is very confusing. I know the previous owner of this trailer pulled it with a Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton. But I dont know if he was within the limits of all the different wieght limits. I told my wife that if we dont find a truck pretty soon, we will have to go camping in the dealers parking lot where the trailer currently sits. I think he has free doughnuts and coffee though. Ha-ha
:roflback:
Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you looking at new or used?