Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #1

Hi all, first time posting,
I have a 2005 Jayflight 29BHS and am currently pulling it with a 2001 Ford Expedition 5.4l v8. Just back from our first long trip to Skyline drive and well yes it was a bit of a struggle. I am looking to here pros and cons of Ford vs Dodge, 250 or 2500 deisel p/u, and any other advice as to which p/u to get,
Many thanks...Bob
The Laird's is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #2

Hi all, first time posting,
I have a 2005 Jayflight 29BHS and am currently pulling it with a 2001 Ford Expedition 5.4l v8. Just back from our first long trip to Skyline drive and well yes it was a bit of a struggle. I am looking to here pros and cons of Ford vs Dodge, 250 or 2500 deisel p/u, and any other advice as to which p/u to get,
Many thanks...Bob
Old 10-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #3

test drive them! over ruff roads if possable.

There are good points to both but the ride and noise level inside the cab of the ford sold me.
Windbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whatever you decide on Chevy, Dodge, Ford, make sure you get a Diesel. The other thing to decide is whether you think you are going to go bigger. If you think yo will go bigger on a TT or get a 5vr then also take into concideration what size you think you will get. Don't let those car dealers tell you that they will tow anything. Check out the payload capabilities and towing capabilities.
If you can afford it hen go ALL the way becasue it cost to add latter.
And yes test drive all of them with the family and possibly for a weekend. You will be amazed on the difference in handleing and driveability, and PRICE between them.
Your fuel mileage will not that great at first but you should get about 11-13 towing with all 3 and anywhere from 18-24 on the highway non-towing.
Happy hunting and good towing
Old 10-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #5

For sure a diesel this time around, probably wont be going any bigger, so I say now..hahahaha..hoping to get the most bang for my buck and a weekend test drive is a must..Thanks for the info
Old 10-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #6

GM not out of the hunt but from my research seems the prices are a bit higher than the other 2, will be checking them all out for sure..Thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #7

I have heard that the Ford's are very quiet inside, looking foward to many test rides...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Windbreaker:
test drive them! over ruff roads if possable.

There are good points to both but the ride and noise level inside the cab of the ford sold me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #8

Just a thought for consideration. If you are going to get a truck that you can expand with, you might consider a single rear wheel F350/Ram 3500 instead. They don't really cost much more and they will give you a much greater payload rating (which becomes important when you trade up for that big fifth wheel). As for the ride, they are pretty much the same empty or loaded. I have had a 3/4 ton Ram, a SRW F350, and now I have a Ram 3500 dually.

And the trailers only seem to get bigger...

Juan

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #9

I'll raise issue with the "the ride is about the same" have you test driven a Ford '05 or later? I tried all three and the Ford's ride was all over both the others. Smooth, quite, dad thought it was a gasser when he first rode in it.
Windbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #10

Have also heard the Ford's ride is very quiet, will post on how the test rides go as the come about...am also considering a 350 or 3500 as well... <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Windbreaker:
I'll raise issue with the "the ride is about the same" have you test driven a Ford '05 or later? I tried all three and the Ford's ride was all over both the others. Smooth, quite, dad thought it was a gasser when he first rode in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #11

Thanks Juan, have just started checking on the 350-3500 series as well and you are right the prices are not that much different, just wish I had done it before the Expedition...oh well...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRMora:
Just a thought for consideration. If you are going to get a truck that you can expand with, you might consider a single rear wheel F350/Ram 3500 instead. They don't really cost much more and they will give you a much greater payload rating (which becomes important when you trade up for that big fifth wheel). As for the ride, they are pretty much the same empty or loaded. I have had a 3/4 ton Ram, a SRW F350, and now I have a Ram 3500 dually.

And the trailers only seem to get bigger...

Juan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Windbreaker:
I'll raise issue with the "the ride is about the same" have you test driven a Ford '05 or later? I tried all three and the Ford's ride was all over both the others. Smooth, quite, dad thought it was a gasser when he first rode in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Windbreaker - my comment was meant that a 3/4 ton from one manufacturer pretty much rides the same as a 1 ton SRW from the same manufacturer.

I haven't driven the new Ford since they went to the coils up front. My old F350 didn't ride as smooth as my current Dodge. And the old 7.3 was definitely louder (especially when cold) than either of my cummins. That being said, my old '79 Toyota Hilux rode like a brick compared to my new truck. They really have done a lot to the suspension designs on these big trucks. And upped the payload doing it. Ain't technology wonderful?

2004 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW HO/6 SPD B&W+Companion, Prodigy, Line-X, Pac Brake
JRMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #13

The Fords are quieter than the other two because they stay parked in the dealer's service bay longer! Just kidding! If I couldn't have a Dodge w/Cummins, or a GM w/Duramax, I would have a Ford.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 AM   #14

Dont cheat yourself and miss a test drive in the new Chev/gmc hd models. Make sure to ask to drive a unit with the duramax lbz engine and allison 6 speed. More powerful and quieter than Ford or Dodge and always has had a more comfortable cab.

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote