Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #1

Greetings,

I've been looking for answers and I'll bet you all can help.

I will be purchasing my final truck in about a year. The boss says she wants to pull the future fifth wheel with confidence, but she thinks 30-40k is too much and I'd better get ir right the first time. I prefer new, that's settled. I hate Ford, that's settled.

My local RV dealer advises that I buy more capability than I "think" I'll need. I plan to purchase a trailer with a GVWR under 12K. I would rather avoid dually's because this truck's primary function will be to take me to work and back home. I know the Cummins engine and love Dodge trucks, but GM has come a long way with torque/horse power in the Duramax. Plus I am convinced that the Alison tranny is ideal. I'm not too proud not to switch brands if it improves my chances of getting it right the first time.

Thoughts?
RSmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #2

Greetings,

I've been looking for answers and I'll bet you all can help.

I will be purchasing my final truck in about a year. The boss says she wants to pull the future fifth wheel with confidence, but she thinks 30-40k is too much and I'd better get ir right the first time. I prefer new, that's settled. I hate Ford, that's settled.

My local RV dealer advises that I buy more capability than I "think" I'll need. I plan to purchase a trailer with a GVWR under 12K. I would rather avoid dually's because this truck's primary function will be to take me to work and back home. I know the Cummins engine and love Dodge trucks, but GM has come a long way with torque/horse power in the Duramax. Plus I am convinced that the Alison tranny is ideal. I'm not too proud not to switch brands if it improves my chances of getting it right the first time.

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D-max. I doubt I'll ever own another gasser. I am in the process of purchasing a 35' 5er with a GVWR of right at 12,000 lbs. This is well within the limits of the truck.

I do recommend you get the long bed. This avoids having to deal with a slider hitch for those tight turns.

The performance of my truck has been almost flawless since I got it, with the few exceptions of maintenance items such as the mass air sensor.

I would have gotten a Dodge but they did not have a crew cab in 2001. I'm glad they didn't. I could not be happier with my truck.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
For once, your RV dealer is giving good advice. I've not heard many complain about having too much truck - too little is another matter.

If one really wants to remain within the vehicle manufacturer's ratings when selecting an RV, he will need the actual laden curb weight (LCW) of the tow vehicle. The LCW is the actual scale weight of the vehicle (by axle, if at all possible) with driver, passengers, all options and accessories (including trailer hitch), full fuel tank(s), cargo, pets, bar-b-que pit, firewood, coolers, etc. just as one will be heading down the road with the RV in tow.

With this LCW as well as the tow vehicle's GCWR and GVWR, one can use the following formulas:

Tow vehicle's GCWR - tow vehicle's LCW = maximum allowable total weight of loaded trailer

Tow vehicle's GVWR - tow vehicle's LCW = maximum allowable hitch/pin weight of loaded trailer

A conservative approach when RV shopping is to use the trailer's GVWR as the total loaded weight and 12% (bumper pull) or 20% (5th wheel) of the trailer's GVWR as loaded hitch/pin weight in the above calculations.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #5

I just returned from a 3,488 mile trip out west.

Just to give you some information without any endorsements, I kept a count of trucks pulling 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers from a 75 mile stretch of I-25 south of Albuquerque to I-40 to Oklahoma City.

There were 22 Dodges, 16 Fords, 5 Chevy/GMCs, and 1 Toyota Tundra (at a Love's TS).
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #6

My vote would be for GM Dmax first and Dodge second. As for counting TV's, on our X-Canada in '02 there were approx 65% GM 20% Dodge and the rest fword and others
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
30-40 for a new one , close

hate ford, to each is his own

however......cummins is a great engine, its just tied to bad junk from the flywheel aft. (edit) tranny.
dana axles and the like have always been good
wasnt trying to encite brand wars, just what i have seen, felt driven and repaired.

duramax is also a good choice. gm for some reason is behind in tow ratings and use higher rear ratios which will save you fuel EMPTY but cost you fuel pulling and towing
i would say trying to be unbiased as i can....
its your $$$ spend it to make you happy
i ahve had three fords, 250's and 350's and had no issues towing,
i also had a gm and it had tranny isssues.
but it was in teh late 80's so it really doesnt matter.
Edit: one: one ton dodge

what they all need to do is get onboard with a model just for rvers or folks who pull/tow alot over 75%
gm and ford have come a long way with engine braking and tow haul programing for the trannies but its still not ideal
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #8

If you are calling the Dana or American axles junk, or even the auto trannies or 6 speed manuals, I beg to differ.

I notice you didn't say how many Dodges you have owned.

I can go to the Ford site and see many Ford owners crying over their 6.0 liter Diesel junk.

I have owned 3 Dodges - manual and 2 autos. I tow. I perform maintenance regularly. No Problems.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #9

The best truck is always the one being driven by the person posting.

I have been extremely impressed with my Dodge. I have had zero problems in 45,000 miles towing a 16,000 pound fiver. The body is tight, handling is superb, very comfortable, mileage is excellent. If you don't want a dually, I would sure at least get a 3500 with single rear wheels.

I didn't keep a log while on our 5 month trip to Alaska, but I kept commenting on the trip that I saw mostly Dodges towing the big fivers, Ford next, Chev last.

Bob
Old 03-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Folks, before this goes on much more, I would refer everyone to the Forum Rules to which all of us agreed when we joined iRV2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By participating in the Forums and Private Messages, you agree that you will not upload, post or otherwise transmit any content (including test, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data or other information) that:

1. Is not consistent with the permissible uses outlined by the Terms of Service (TOS) including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abrasive, harassing, hostile, defamatory, inciting brand wars, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive, religious, illegal substances, illegal activities or otherwise objectionable. NOTE: disagreements and intellectual disputes are not viewed as hostile content as long as the arguments address the Members statements and not their personalities; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your valued cooperation.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #11

Sorry folks. Didn't mean to get anyone upset, just wanted to guage personal opinions/experience. Thank you all for your input.

There is a lot to consider in this purchase, and I hope to avoid costly aftermarket add-ons by getting proper equipment first. I understand GVWR, GCVWR, curb wieght, etc. Used to drive for a living in my 20s. That's why I like the Alison and the Cummins. Wish they both came in one truck.

Any way thanks again and please continue to share your opinions and experience.

Ralph
Old 03-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSmoak:
Sorry folks. Didn't mean to get anyone upset, just wanted to guage personal opinions/experience. Thank you all for your input.

There is a lot to consider in this purchase, and I hope to avoid costly aftermarket add-ons by getting proper equipment first. I understand GVWR, GCVWR, curb wieght, etc. Used to drive for a living in my 20s. That's why I like the Alison and the Cummins. Wish they both came in one truck.

Any way thanks again and please continue to share your opinions and experience.

Ralph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you can get an allison tranny hooked to a cummins engine. or a cat hooked to an eaton or allison, but it takes getting a F560 or F750 md. truck
or chebvy C6500 and up you can get cats and allisons
its just pickups we are limited to the box of parts.
like i eluded to above, its not the engine with the issues its the wrapper.
its all a trade off
some bet on pure comfort inside, while othres focus on the middle of the road, and stil others focus on astetics with no real meaning.
the best advice is to go drive them all , vists campgraounds and ask each person his or her weakness in the tow vehicle or strengths.
then make a sound a decision.

personally if we could get gmc, plush interior, dodge sheetmetal, and fords running gear (engine and tranny) we would have a good product
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #13

I must have missed something that caused the TOS to be brought up. Looked like straight talk to me.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have you looked at the Chevy Kodiak?