Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #15

I decided to go with the ford as my TV and got my trailer delivered today. I've got some clearance issues between the two though, the fords deck sits 40" high and the king pin plate sits 43.5". I ordered a special hitch called a hijacker 21k flat deck, it is 9" high so it's not as extreme plus I can move the pin box up 2" (once I figure out why I get zapped every time I move the box up) so that would mean the trailer would be nose high by 4" is that acceptable or should I consider an axle flip?

With the dodge it's pulled max 9000lbs. I did get a new mechanic after the one that put the second transmission in said they forgot who they bought it from. The new mechanic who installed the third so far seems to know what they are doing. I don't know why I have so many problems with the dodge considering I do baby it quite a bit, never drive it hard, always clean, never go off road or 4x4 with it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey9212 View Post
...so that would mean the trailer would be nose high by 4" is that acceptable or should I consider an axle flip?
When all hooked up and ready to go, the floor of the trailer should be level, front to rear. And you should have at least 5" clearance between the top of the bed and the bottom of the trailer overhang.

Looks doesn't matter. Use a 4' carpenter's level and check the level of the floor of the trailer. If it's not level, then adjust the hitch and the pin box until it's level. If that leaves less than 5" clearance between truck and trailer, then you need to raise the trailer. That's called "flipping the axles" on the trailer, but you don't literally turn over the axles. Instead, you move the spring perches from under the axle to over the axle, which raises the trailer a few inches.

If your trailer has the more-expensive Dexter Tor-Flex suspension instead of springs, then you need a special kit sold by Dexter to raise the trailer.
http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/45177/45180

Old 07-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #17

Thank you, does flipping the axle alter the handling of the trailer?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Something is wrong with the Dog. 3 MPG is unacceptable. But even if it got 8 MPG, I'd still choose the Ford. Dually with a stick shift. Made for towing 5ers.

The most likely problem with towing a 5er with an older truck is the automagic tranny going south in the middle of nowhere. You won't have that problem with the old Ford. Your experience proves that it's a very real possibility with the Dog.
X2 I agree 100%

I vote for the Ford.

(pick a new trans shop for the Dodge)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
YES! it raises the Center of Gravity of the trailer.
Do it only if you must. and then only do it correctly.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not enough to be worried about. It does raise the center of gravityof the trailer, so I wouldn't be dragging it around a desert race course at high speeds, but at 65 MPH on ordinary paved roads you probably won't notice any difference.

Way back when, I had a Thor Wanderer 5er that was made to be towed behind a half-ton pickup. It was perfect behind my Toyota T-100 V6, but I traded the Toy for an F-250 diesel. My F-250 was too high for it, so I "flipped the axles" to have a level trailer. Then I drug that trailer from west Texas to the east coast, the west coast, and the Gulf coast and back. No problems with the handling of the trailer.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #21

Ok, thank you. I will hope raising the pin box will be enough cause the next thing will be a flip if it doesn't do the trick.

For the dodge I found out that the second tranny was for a 2007 2wd by the mechanic that did the third. He couldn't believe that it bolted right on considering the dodge is a 2005 with 4wd.