Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Which vehicle?

Hi all.
I'm new to RVing and am buying my first tow vehicle.
Wife and I are buying a 2006 Cedar Creek 36RLTS and I realize I need a 1 ton dually to safely pull it. Plus, it will give me some room to grow in a few years if we so desire.

Now I'm trying to decide between the Dodge Ram 3500 and the Ford F350.

I've taken a short spin in the Ford and will do the Dodge this week. Don't know much about either truck yet... so I'm looking for any information on pros / cons with either.

Also, I've heard about Dave Smith in Kellogg ID and have sent in a request for quote on the truck to see about the cost savings possible. But buying there means a 2000 mile drive home... so the savings have to be pretty spectacular.

Does anyone know of a Ford dealer with a similar rep to Dave Smith? I've tried some basic internet searches, but haven't found the biggest / best in the US yet. I'm in Michigan.

I've read some positives on Ford's new 6.7 diesel. And the truck I drove was really great. Quiet, easy ride (surprised me for a 350) and really quick. I also like the fact that I can order the truck with the 25K hitch installed (does anyone know how it compares to the good aftermarket hitches?). Best of all, Ford is offering 0% financing on the vehicle right now.

For the Dodge, like I said, I haven't driven one yet, but the dealer I spoke with said that 2014 is a total makeover for the 3500 truck series. I guess it is similar to what was done with the 1500 in 2013.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Cummins engine. One big question I have is if I go Dodge, which automatic transmission should I get? Is the Asean worth the extra $2000 they want for it?

Also, in the Dodge, I can get either a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end. I'm leaning to the 3.73 for the gas mileage improvement (anybody have any idea what that might be?) but I do want to take the rig out west and eventually to Alaska. With that, should I get the 4.10 gears?

One other thing. I've noticed that both vehicles offer upfitter switches as an option. Is this something I might use with my 5er? Just wondering if its worth the extra bucks.

Thanks for your input!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't speak to the which truck question, but am wondering what upfitter switches are?

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

Upfitter switches are switches installed in the cab that you can connect to electrical accessories of your choice: off road lights, driving lights, on board air compressor, etc.
You won't necessarily need them just to pull a trailer but for those of us that add lots of electrical stuff to trucks it makes it nice to have factory switches installed instead of drilling holes in the dash.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

If you lean toward a Ford, try this guy in Michigan...

spratt@bobmaxey.com

Check his participation on thedieselstop.com

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If buying new...best luck.

I have a Dodge 3500 4x4 Crew DRW 5.9 and LOVE IT...I understand the new 6.7L is the same basic design, just burdened with SMOG equipment. I might be wrong, but the Cummins Diesel is pretty awesome.

If considering to buy used...it is worth the time to take your search to TX. These big trucks are a way of life there, so the prices can be better than other places. I got my truck used for $10,000 less than an identical truck near me in SoCal...well worth the 2 tickets on Southwest and the drive home (where we actually averaged 21MPG, all HWY miles and fully unloaded of course).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The Aisin 6-speed gets you 385 BHP and 850 lb-ft torque; the 68RFE 6-speed gets you 350 BHP and 800 lb-ft torque. The Aisin also gives higher GCWR ratings - that's the package along with the 4.10 axle ratio that results in the 37,000 GCWR rating that Ram advertises. You have a choice of axle ratios - 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10. I'd go with at least the 3.73, but if it were me, I'd order the 4.10 simply because you have a double overdrive transmission and will only be turning about 1625 RPM at 60 MPH in 6th gear, which is a good RPM for towing with the Cummins. The Aisin has been used in the cab & chassis trucks since the introduction of the 6.7L on January 1, 2007 - Ram is now just making it available in the pickup configuration as a heavier duty option.

The 2014 6.7 utilizes DEF (like its competitors), and the emissions systems aren't really any more problematical than any other current diesel engine. The technology is pretty commonplace among all the Big 3 at this point. The 6.7L is indeed a B-series Cummins, as is the 5.9L.

You really don't need the upfitter switches to tow a 5th wheel. They are used to power accessories and add-ons, so whether you need them depends on what, if anything, you might add to the truck after delivery.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty has the 6.7L Cummins 3500 DRW and I have the 6.7L Ford F350 DRW. He prefers Ram Cummins and I prefer Ford.

For the trailer you are considering, either will work fine for you...so drive them both and shop for the deal you like the best.

Ken
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The Aisin 6-speed gets you 385 BHP and 850 lb-ft torque; the 68RFE 6-speed gets you 350 BHP and 800 lb-ft torque. The Aisin also gives higher GCWR ratings - that's the package along with the 4.10 axle ratio that results in the 37,000 GCWR rating that Ram advertises. You have a choice of axle ratios - 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10. I'd go with at least the 3.73, but if it were me, I'd order the 4.10 simply because you have a double overdrive transmission and will only be turning about 1625 RPM at 60 MPH in 6th gear, which is a good RPM for towing with the Cummins. The Aisin has been used in the cab & chassis trucks since the introduction of the 6.7L on January 1, 2007 - Ram is now just making it available in the pickup configuration as a heavier duty option.

The 2014 6.7 utilizes DEF (like its competitors), and the emissions systems aren't really any more problematical than any other current diesel engine. The technology is pretty commonplace among all the Big 3 at this point. The 6.7L is indeed a B-series Cummins, as is the 5.9L.

You really don't need the upfitter switches to tow a 5th wheel. They are used to power accessories and add-ons, so whether you need them depends on what, if anything, you might add to the truck after delivery.

Rusty
Very good explanation rustyjc. I have had several of the 68rfe trannys and are solid units (i.e. no problems). Dealer told me Aisin trans very strong and durable. Hard to beat Cummins motor for pulling. The V8 diesels drive a little more like a gas truck but the inline 6 pull like nothing else when loaded. Hence transfer trucks, heavy motorhomes, and other big equipment all use inline 6 engines.
Chad
Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Well I am not the person to ask about trucks, but like Texas I live in big truck country and I can tell you the guy across the street is a farrier and besides hauling his 5er,(30 ft) he also hauls the equipment for his work and travels hundreds of miles for work, and he has a huge Dodge Ram, the other common truck for these ranchers who go everywhere with their horse trailers, most are 2 to 4 horses is GMC Sierras or Silverados...

I can only tell you what I see and from my own investigation the GMC has a higher torque, (I was reading stats and asked the man I am getting my trailer from why the GMC and he said it pulled the 5er better than the Ford (trades it for the Sierra) and it is a 2500 older model.

I am just curious why GMC was left out of your search since it is one of the 'big 3 ' in the truck world...

Sounds as if you are on your way to a wonderful adventure, congratulations and choose the vehicle that suits your style, and DW of course.. (at least let her choose the colour after you choose the guts and auto is the way to go if you want her to help with the driving... JMHO for what it's worth.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
GMC and Chevy are the same truck under the skin - just badge engineering. Pick the one you think more attractive or can get the better deal on if a GM truck is your pleasure.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

I have the Ford and my buddy has the Ram. I towed my 15,000 lb.5er 998 miles in 17 hrs with no driving fatigue. I drove my buddies Ram 3500 towing a 12,000lb horse trailer 500 easy miles. No fatigue.

I like both trucks. My Ford with 4.30 gears of the F-450 uses slightly less fuel than the Ram. The Ram had 4.10 gears. Both trucks can be driven long distance w/o fatigue.

I would guess the Chevy Dually would also be very nice. In 2011 all 3 trucks were injected with a good dose of steriods. In my area of the country it is hard to find a Chevy/GMC dually while Ford and Ram are easier to find.

I would be tempted by the new Ram with the 37,000 GVWR. They strengthen the frame and tweaked the engine to 850ft. Lbs. torque and a new transmission.

Go to youtube and watch Fast Lane Trucks.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. If I go with the Ram, I'll get the Aisen transmission. That was a great explanation Rusty. Thanks. I don't know if I'll actually need the upfitter switches... but having them and not having to drill if I need one or two would be worth the initial investment I think.

I've speced out a Silverado 3500 as well... and will probably drive that this week too. Don't know why I didn't mention it in the original post... duh.

I was searching online within about 400 miles of home for late model used vehicles... but the prices are really high... and it's hard to find a truck equipped like I want... so I was leaning toward new... but will continue to try and determine the value of new vs a good used.

I'll have to check out Texas want ads. I'm willing to fly to Idaho if Dave Smith has a great deal... so going to Texas is no problem.

Thanks also Rusty for the explanation of the gear ratios. I'll go with the higher ratio if I order.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #13

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
GMC and Chevy are the same truck under the skin - just badge engineering. Pick the one you think more attractive or can get the better deal on if a GM truck is your pleasure.

Rusty
True that!!! Jimmy's have a bit upgraded trim, but mechanically EXACTLY the same....