Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

Which weight distribution system

Newbie here looking for the safest way to pull our 37 ft TT. We are towing with a 2000 dodge ram 3500 dually diesel 4x4 quad cab. I am having a hard time understanding which weight distribution system we need. I do not know tongue weight but the TT weighs 10,000 dry. (so it says). Will a Reese straight line distribution system with sway control trunion bar (15,000 GTW AND 1500 TW) be sufficient? Or should I go with the next size up or something totally different?
MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKim View Post
Newbie here looking for the safest way to pull our 37 ft TT. We are towing with a 2000 dodge ram 3500 dually diesel 4x4 quad cab. I am having a hard time understanding which weight distribution system we need. I do not know tongue weight but the TT weighs 10,000 dry. (so it says). Will a Reese straight line distribution system with sway control trunion bar (15,000 GTW AND 1500 TW) be sufficient? Or should I go with the next size up or something totally different?

I would start with making sure the receiver on the truck is up to the tongue weight. The stock receiver is limited to less than 1500 pounds, probably around 1200 pounds using a weight distribution hitch. Perhaps you already have an upgraded receiver for the tongue weight. Reese, Blue Ox, Husky, Hensley, ProPride, PullRite and others make weight distribution hitches.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

It is common for trailer tongue weight to be 12 to 15 % of the total trailer weight.
15% of your 10,000 lb dry weight is 1500 lbs.
The trailer loaded for travel may weigh 12,000 lbs or more.
12% of 12,000 is 1440 lbs.
If you load it tongue heavy - 15% of 12,000 is 1800 lbs.
You need a true class 5 receiver and WDH. It will have a 2 1/2 inch receiver tube rated for 18,000 lbs or more and spring bars that are rated to 1700 lbs or more.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem

I would start with making sure the receiver on the truck is up to the tongue weight. The stock receiver is limited to less than 1500 pounds, probably around 1200 pounds using a weight distribution hitch. Perhaps you already have an upgraded receiver for the tongue weight. Reese, Blue Ox, Husky, Hensley, ProPride, PullRite and others make weight distribution hitches.
Very good point! I just bought the truck and have no idea what type hitch it is or what it is rated for! I'll have to check into that. Will it be stamped on it somewhere?? That may be a really dumb question but how am I to know if it is the stock hitch or one the previous owner installed? (he towed horses in a big 30 ft trailer)
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo
It is common for trailer tongue weight to be 12 to 15 % of the total trailer weight.
15% of your 10,000 lb dry weight is 1500 lbs.
The trailer loaded for travel may weigh 12,000 lbs or more.
12% of 12,000 is 1440 lbs.
If you load it tongue heavy - 15% of 12,000 is 1800 lbs.
You need a true class 5 receiver and WDH. It will have a 2 1/2 inch receiver tube rated for 18,000 lbs or more and spring bars that are rated to 1700 lbs or more.
Wow ok that helps alot! Any suggestions on where you would find that? All I can find on the Reese Site only goes up to 17,000 lbs. maybe I'm not seeing it ? Then again it is all quite overwhelming to a newbie like me.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Couldn't find back to a 2000, but here is a link to 2002 info...

Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle Results
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #7

OP,

The data should be on a placard on the receiver. The previous poster is correct, measure the inside of the receiver and if it is 2 inches you probably are using the stock receiver and it most likely is insufficient for your anticipated needs. If it is 2.5 inches inside measurement, you should be OK and it would be an aftermarket receiver.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Wow ok that helps alot! Any suggestions on where you would find that? All I can find on the Reese Site only goes up to 17,000 lbs. maybe I'm not seeing it ? Then again it is all quite overwhelming to a newbie like me.
You are looking for some pretty special hardware and you are going to have to dig for it.
Have you looked at any Dodge truck forums? You can search and read most forums without joining.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I do not know tongue weight but the TT weighs 10,000 dry. (so it says).
Useless info. You need the GVWR of the trailer. It will probably be on a label near the front of the side of the body, or maybe on the hitch "A" frame. Probably about 15,000 pounds, so a wet and loaded hitch weight of around 1,800 pounds.

Quote:
Will a Reese straight line distribution system with sway control trunion bar (15,000 GTW AND 1500 TW) be sufficient? Or should I go with the next size up or something totally different?
The Reese StraightLine dual cam weight distribution hitch is the best of the cheap hitch systems such as Equal-I-Zer and Curt. Provided it's sized properly to handle the GVWR of your trailer, it will do until you can save up the almost $3000 needed for a Hensley Arrow or ProPride or PullRite hitch system.

For my itty bitty Joey 196S TT, I'm using a Reese StraightLine dual cam WD system that was the hitch for my cargo trailer. But I'm saving as fast as I can to replace it with a ProPride.

Quote:
Very good point! I just bought the truck and have no idea what type hitch it is or what it is rated for! I'll have to check into that. Will it be stamped on it somewhere??
Yes, it will be embossed or stamped into the frame of the receiver. But it will be in shorthand, something like: "600/6000 WC, 1200/12000 WD". Thst means 600 pounds hitch weight or 6,000 pounds gross trailer weight, whichever comes first with a weight carrying hitch. Or 1,200 pounds hitch weight or 12,000 pounds max trailer weight, whichever comes first, with a weight distributing hitch.

The trailer weight rating is basically useless, because it is 10 times the max hitch weight. But most properly loaded TTs wiil have a hitch weight about 12 percent or more of gross trailer weight. So you'll nearly always max out the max hitch weight before you get close to the max trailer weight.

For planning purposes, determine your max hitch weight, then size the receiver to exceed the max hitch weight. If my WAGS are right, then you need a receiver with max hitch weight of 1,800 pounds. Then you'll have no receiver/hitch capacity problem if your wet and loaded trailer weighs a bit more than you planned for.

Quote:
That may be a really dumb question but how am I to know if it is the stock hitch or one the previous owner installed?
Doesn't matter. What matters is the weight ratings of the receiver.

Quote:
Any suggestions on where you would find that? All I can find on the Reese Site only goes up to 17,000 lbs.
For a 2000 full-size Dodge Ram, the Reese Titan with 2.5" receiver is:
Rated up to 18,000 lbs. (GTW) Weight Carrying (WC)
Rated up to 18,000 lbs. (GTW) with Weight Distributing (WD)

Trailer Hitches - Reese

Now for "just in case":

If the GVWR of your trailer is more than 15,000 pounds, then the hitch weight will probably be more than 1,800 pounds. So the receiver above won't be quite enough. But no problem, because Reese also makes for your truck the Titan receivers with a 3" shank rated 20,000 and 25,000 pounds. I'd go for the 20k jobbie.
http://www.reeseproducts.com/content...ID=1068&part=0
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKim
You should get any trailer weighed before setting up for tow...most dealers may charge a base half n hour labor rate..if there a good co. They'll wave it just for good relations..you should know this as for manufactures have not always been truthful on all that is stated. ..but if i was to guess with your info..1200lbs ...hope this helped..plz feel free to ask anything..ive been hooking units up for 20+ years
Yakman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem

Reese are a nice system...blue ox has come a long way and are making cheaper combo kits..very nice system as well..
Yakman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is a place I bought my Reese WD hitch from yesterday. My RV dealer wanted $725 +tax. I got it on-line at Reese-Hitches.com for $438 delivered (no tax / free shipping). They were very helpful in explaining which WD hitch would work. Ended up getting a 800# trunnion bar system. If I find I still have too much sway I can add the Reese Dual-cam system without changing the spring bars.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

Thank you all so much! I'm truly thankful and humbled at your willingness to help me! I will pass along the info to dh and now we can make a much more informed decision!