RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 05:11 AM   #15

If you get a chance it is an interesting option to check out at your local Chevy or GMC dealer. It is a lot different then when I saw it back in the early 2000's. I went to my Chevy dealer and told them I wanted to see the Chevy feature HUD. I actually looked at it on a 1500 Silverado High Country as my local dealer only had 2 new 2020 2500HD trucks...neither had HUD.

One thing I need to consider is the information the Trucks display vs the Corvette. Seems the Corvette displays a lot more information than the truck does.

You can actually see the HUD on YouTube so no real need to stop at the dealer.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #16

HUD on a truck might be pretty limited and I don't think I"d pay much for it. Tire pressure sensors, stability control, traction control, 4 channel ABS, backup and surroundings cameras, heated mirrors and electromatic(sp) dimming mirrors would be good pickings.

Safety features I think are a gimmick are accident avoidance related. Like warnings when the system thinks you are going out of a lane, adaptive cruise control, any automatic braking system with the exception of priming the brakes (but not stopping). Parking alarms. There are quite a few gimmicks and the list is growing, but HUD isn't one.

On my Volt, if it is parked up against a wall or any object bumper high and you put the car in reverse, an alarm sounds. The speaker is directed right to my ear and the sound is a repeated piercing like a fire alarm should be. The "crash" sensor is in front and GM was too $%$^& to put in a check to see which way the person is traveling (ala gear selection). I can't disable it. Every time I have to hit the button to turn it off while maneuvering. Now I've warn out the button and it's difficult to turn off. Every time. That includes turning around in tight quarters where I need to listen and concentrate on driving.

I complained to Chevy and the service manager about the alarm. He said that it has caused people to crash and there isn't anything he can do to disable it.

Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #17

I like adaptive cruise along with all those safety warnings. How are we going to have self driving cars and trucks without that stuff.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #18

The accident avoidance gear in my wife's Mercedes SUV saved her from a catastrophic accident a few summers ago when a Van in front of her had a blowout and crossed right in front of her while she was towing our boat on the freeway. It would have crossed right through her if the radar/sonar or whatever the sensors are hadn't picked up the problem and applied the breaks just enough to save her and my boy. I watched the whole thing unfold about 10 car lengths back towing our TT behind her and at the time I could not believe how fast she reacted. It turns out, it was her car that did the reacting. I would probably still dismiss that stuff out of hand if I hadn't watched it work first had.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I like adaptive cruise along with all those safety warnings. How are we going to have self driving cars and trucks without that stuff.
Self driving cars??? What are you, a millenial???
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #20

Jshopes81 - heck no. I was a hard working, no sick day kinda guy. Now I did take my vacation time but paid for it. Had to work extra hard to get ready for 1 week vacation then work extra hard when I came back to catch up on things that happened while I was on vacation. Often times I worked some while on vacation.

I do like technology advancements like Google Maps, LED lights, Velcro, Fuel Injection, Cell Phones (I think), Samsung TV's, and stuff that works. But I will be long gone before 'Warp' drive or 'Teleportation' is created.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I just looked at the 2020 Chevy 2500HD and give it a thumbs up. It is a very nice and extra solid truck. Anyone looking at new trucks will need to use minutia to decide.

If the other trucks are about the same is Heads up Display enough to tilt the scale toward GM? I saw this feature this morning and thought it was really cool. Is it? Or is it a gimmick that you get tired of?
You can put on an after market just searchecking for a OBD heads up display.
I really liked it on our SSEI Bonneville.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #22

I Googled 'After Market HUD' and found many with most being under $100. That can not be correct I thought but it was. WalMart sells them for around $30.

I will need to understand these After Market HUD gizmos a lot more as to what info they can display.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had 2 Buicks with the HUD. My wife loved them...for me even if the HUD was on I found that I never looked at it. My eyes automatically went toe the conventional dash.

I depends on what you like. Someone else liking and using it doesn't mean that you will.
yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #24

Well, just got back from Walmart. The store does not stock them as it is only an on-line item only. I was hoping to take pictures of the box then come home and study how it works.

I will be trying to understand how the after market HUD works.

Thanks for suggesting an after market HUD.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Because of this thread - I too did some research on aftermarket HUD units. I was wanting one for my motor home.

Thanks to nvs4602 I learned to search for OBD HUD units.

Seems non-OBD HUD units just mirror your cell phone making it a great HUD GPS unit.

Not what I want......I want the OBD information.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #26

I saw that about half of the after market HUD's did connect to the ODB port. I even saw one that tried to look like it came with the vehicle.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #27

i had a HUD in a 2000 pontiac grand prix GTP. if i remember it showed speed. radio info like stations cd tracks i liked it. the hud display came from aircraft. GM and a subsidary company developed it. so i was told anyway. another thing i heard on a 2020 chevy review is that they give the max towing capacity on the door or center pillar label. a manufactures first. if the truck can tow 18000 lbs it just says it no more gvwc gvac etc. not sure if uts true have not been to a dealer to look yet
Newbeginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #28

It is true that the GM trucks now have a new towing label from SAE J2807 testing.

I am seriously thinking of my next truck and thinking of switching from Ford to GM. My test drive of the 2020 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas truck was impressive.

But I have not seen the 2020 Ford F-250 with 7.3 gas engine and 10 speed transmission.