RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
It is true that the GM trucks now have a new towing label from SAE J2807 testing.

I am seriously thinking of my next truck and thinking of switching from Ford to GM. My test drive of the 2020 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas truck was impressive.

But I have not seen the 2020 Ford F-250 with 7.3 gas engine and 10 speed transmission.
I have a feeling GM might put the 10 speed behind the 6.6 gasser but they're waiting to get the kinks worked out. I'm not sure on the Ford side as this is basically the same joint venture transmission but GM has had a lot of issues with the 10 speed.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #30

I am seeing the GM transmission will vibrate/shutter and right now can not be fixed easily.

Ford is really slow putting out their 2020 models as if there are problems. It is already the middle of Nov and still no 2020 Ford F-250/350/450 trucks at dealerships. I do wonder if there are problems with the 10 speed.

I am already getting cold feet with the GM/Ford 10 speed. Call me crazy but 8 speeds seems to be perfect. I am thinking 10 speeds might be too many.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #31

I believe the 10-speed GM/Ford joint-venture transmission is in the 1/2 ton, but the 10-speed in the HD trucks was developed in partnership with Alison (but is manufactured by GM in Toledo, Ohio) and is not the same 10-speed transmission that was JV'd with Ford. (I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but this is what I understand).

Also, there have been some reports I have seen that the 10-speed is adaptive and might need to "learn" during the break in during which time it might shift a little rough.

Any links to the shuddering issue? I am in the market for a 2020 HD GMC and would like to investigate any reported systemic issues with the new tranny. Thanks.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #32

Use Google and YouTube to research 10 speed automatic transmission shutter. It may be nothing, it maybe a transmission fluid thing, it may be a software thing, or it might something.

From what I am reading transmission shudder is also in other vehicles like the Ford Focus.

The GM 2020 2500/3500 trucks are solid. I test drove the 6.6 gasser which had the 6 speed and was impressed with how refined that truck was.

I am focused on the gas versions of trucks and not the diesel versions for several reasons. That means for me, that the GM 6.6 litre gas truck 6 speed might be better than Ford 7.3 litre gas truck 10 speed because now I am a bit afraid of the 10 speed.

I will wait until after TFL, Edmunds, Truck and SUV Talk, Ben Hardy, JB Reviews, Motor Trend, KBB, and a few others get to test the new trucks.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #33

Quote:
I am seeing the GM transmission will vibrate/shutter and right now can not be fixed easily.

Ford is really slow putting out their 2020 models as if there are problems. It is already the middle of Nov and still no 2020 Ford F-250/350/450 trucks at dealerships. I do wonder if there are problems with the 10 speed.

I am already getting cold feet with the GM/Ford 10 speed. Call me crazy but 8 speeds seems to be perfect. I am thinking 10 speeds might be too many.
Its not like they did a total redesign.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #34

From a 6 speed to a 10 speed adds 40% more complexity. More gears means more shifting, more software, and probably more trouble.

My local dealer has 2 2020 Chevy 2500HD diesel 10 speeds. No 6 speed gas which I find mildly interesting.

That is where I looked at the impressive GM HUD again. If you want to see what I mean just stop by a GM dealer and ask to see the HUD feature. The salesman should not bug you too much.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Use Google and YouTube to research 10 speed automatic transmission shutter. It may be nothing, it maybe a transmission fluid thing, it may be a software thing, or it might something.

From what I am reading transmission shudder is also in other vehicles like the Ford Focus.
I can't find any reported systemic "shutter" or "shudder" problems related to the new Allison branded transmission using google. The hits that come up relate to the 10-speed in the 1/2 tons and the Fords that are not the same transmission as the new tranny in the 2020 HDs. The worst I have seen is a few reports of rough shifting on sub-1k mile trucks before the transmission computer "learns" the right shift pattern. But most of the reports and reviews I have seen are very positive.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:28 AM   #36

I can tell you that my test drive of the 6.6 gasser was impressive. The best way to put it is what Car & Driver said about their test of the 2009 F-150.

'It is like every nut and bolt was turned an extra 1/4 turn to tighten everything'.

The truck feels rock solid and the gasser drives and rides a bit better than my F-250.
The very best thing imho is the payload is up about 1,000lbs making the truck competitive and beats Ram. Also I like the added cooling to the diesel engine. Right now the GM truck is as good as Ford and Ram and maybe better.

I am going to wait and see about the transmissions.

When you look at trucks try to find a vehicle with the GM HUD. Let me know what you think.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #37

I have a 2020 GMC 3500 AT4 crew cab 8' bed with HUD and Allison ordered. I'm told it will be in at the end of the month. I'll post review when I get it. I'm not expecting any problems I've had 4 trucks with Allison transmissions since 2005 and never had any problems usually keep trucks till 200,000 miles. My current 2017 GMC diesel With Alison has been flawless even with a lot of Rocky Mountain towing.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #38

heads up

WE have a 2019 Yukon Denali XL, It has the heads up display. I was a sceptic but after using it I have grown to absolutely love it. When I get into another vehicle I realize just how much I have become accustomed to it. I am watching the new GMHD trucks and will definitely get the HUD when I purchase.
Davidtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #39

Heads Up

Great option. Keeps my eyes on the road not looking down. Feel safer in my cars that have it.
andecab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #40

Thanks - the 2020 GM trucks are high on my list. They will be compared to the 2020 Fords to see which one will be the best truck.

2020 GM 6.6 gas 3500HD vs 2020 Ford F-350 7.3 gas.

LTZ trim vs Lariat trim.

Real quick - does anyone know if the 2020 GM 2500/3500 trucks frames waxed or better yet e-coated?
Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #41

My 2011 Camaro SS has HUD and I love it. Never have to take my eyes off the road to check the speed. It also shows other information such as engine RPM, what song is playing or what radio channel you have on etc.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #42

The late model GM heads-up is great at night, and OK in the daytime, unless you wear polarized sunglasses, in which case the display disappears. You can customize the display, for lane maintenance, nav system directions, radio or music, compass, etc. It also displays phone calls, etc, IIRC. So, a good thing.
The 2016 GM truck 8-speed transmission, which was GM built but (I believe) based on a joint GM-Allison design, is seriously faulty. So far, GM hasn't figured out (ir at least admitted to knowing) what the cause is, and every fix has been temporary. Whether the following years' 10-speed has the same problems, I don't know. My GMC's over the past few years have been plagued with minor issues, like power-fold mirrors quit working, tail-lamp assemblies go dead, etc, and each repair involves the replacement of an entire module. So keeping a GM once the warranty is gone may be a mistake, since any repair is expensive. But I keep buying them because they really are nice.

JCCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote