RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Who has the GM Heads up Display?

I just looked at the 2020 Chevy 2500HD and give it a thumbs up. It is a very nice and extra solid truck. Anyone looking at new trucks will need to use minutia to decide.

If the other trucks are about the same is Heads up Display enough to tilt the scale toward GM? I saw this feature this morning and thought it was really cool. Is it? Or is it a gimmick that you get tired of?

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I just looked at the 2020 Chevy 2500HD and give it a thumbs up. It is a very nice and extra solid truck. Anyone looking at new trucks will need to use minutia to decide.

If the other trucks are about the same is Heads up Display enough to tilt the scale toward GM? I saw this feature this morning and thought it was really cool. Is it? Or is it a gimmick that you get tired of?
My wifes 98 grand prix and her parents 00 vette both had hud. Im sure the display is different at this point but i know back then the glass was different from cars without and i do remember the glass being very expensive.

Its a neat feature to have. I wouldnt hold it as a deal breaker by any means, its one of those things thats cool to have but you dont really miss it if it isnt there. I wouldnt really call it a gimmick either and no you wont get tired of it. I know theirs you could also turn it off.

Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I owned a '93 Bonneville SSE that had it, I barely used it. It was very adjustable and all, just not my cup of tea. I like Dodge and Chevy trucks.
Right now I would go nuts trying to choose which one. Since my current SUV is a Tahoe that has given me 20 years of service I would be hard pressed not to buy the Chevy.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

Wow, I did not know GM had HUD back in 1993. That is really something. I test drove a few other vehicles and saw it before but it was not as cool as on this 2020 Chevy 2500HD. I saw it way back when it projected on an special area of the windshield that was kinda flat for the display.

Now it projects out and looks like it is on the hood. It was also Crystal clear which was impressive.

Like I mentioned in a different thread. The truck was impressive with payload and some really nice little features like some useful storage in the back seat back, or the cameras, or the wider bed, or HUD, or side steps to reach into the bed, I think a locking rear differential on all their trucks, independant front suspension. It will not be easy to stick with Ford. Especially with other GM owners saying they like their GM vehicles.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

It is not a gimmick and worth a couple grand. I loved the feature. All 4 of my vettes had it.

The only crappy thing is with navigation. GM installed a worthless piece of chit to help you get lost, frustrated and waste time. Those directions will show on the HUD. But if you don't use the NAV, you are all good in every way, shape or form.
Mtn. Lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
It is not a gimmick and worth a couple grand. I loved the feature. All 4 of my vettes had it.

The only crappy thing is with navigation. GM installed a worthless piece of chit to help you get lost, frustrated and waste time. Those directions will show on the HUD. But if you don't use the NAV, you are all good in every way, shape or form.
Youd pony up 2000$ for the hud? I didnt find it to be that lifechanging. I liked it, just not that much.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Heads-up display is nothing new, as some mentioned. Keep in mind some, maybe all will require a more expensive windshield come replacement time.

I personally see nothing mind blowing about it. There is such a thing as an overload of information. I don't feel the need to check my speed every second I'm driving. I wouldn't be paying anything extra for it myself.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #8

I will be comparing the 2020 Ford 7.3 litre gas engine with the 10 speed versus the 2020 GM trucks with the 6.6 litre gas engine.

I will probably pick the Ford but not certain as I liked the GM truck too.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #9

Quote:
I will probably pick the Ford but not certain as I liked the GM truck too.
I like to cross shop trucks, and every time I hop in a Ford or Dodge truck I see lots of things I like, and I would like to think I have an open mind, but I have also come to the realization that there's about zero chance I am leaving GM anytime soon. It is funny because I have zero brand loyalty with cars, but when it comes right down to it, I just can't see owning any truck that doesn't have a Duramax in it. (shrugs).
jjackrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:14 AM   #10

I have no real brand loyalty and probably have purchased 40 cars/trucks in my life.

In early 2011 I tested all 1/2 trucks. The Ram was too loud, the GM 5.3 did not have enough power, the Toyota Tundra road rough, Nissan Titan was meh, but Ford had new powerful engines. Way better than their old engines so I bought a F-150 5.0 litre.

Only 14 months later I decide I want a 5th wheel. I put 30,000 very enjoyable miles on the F-150 so I went right back to Ford and bought a 2012 F-450 with the gen 1 6.7 power stroke. Dually trucks were not easy to find in my area. I did not look at any other dually trucks.

Had and liked that truck for 6.5 years. No problems other than front tires only lasted 29,000 miles. Oh, I dinged the tailgate twice...ugh. I sold the 5th wheel.

I looked at the 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie and liked that truck. I did not look at GM because it had a weak(ish) 6.0 litre gas engine. I bought a left over 2017 F-250 Lariat 6.2 Boss engine that I liked slightly more than the Ram.

The 2017 F-250 has the same dash as the other Ford truck so I know how everything works.

But for my next truck I plan to start with a clean slate.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My '04 Vette had a Head Up Display. (HUD)

I really liked it and wish my motor home had one.

I believe I saw an after market HUD a while back but never pursued it.

If you see a vehicle with a HUD and vehicle meets all your needs - the HUD, in my view, will add to the ownership.

Good luck, '

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #12

I looked at the GM HUD again today with much more focus. Again it is a really cool feature and one I would use. I also stopped and looked at the Ram. They do not offer HUD. The GM HUD projects what looks like out above the hood. It is crystal clear. It would reduce the number of times I take my eyes off the road to glance at my speed.

Again a big
Old 11-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
I looked at the GM HUD again today with much more focus. Again it is a really cool feature and one I would use. I also stopped and looked at the Ram. They do not offer HUD. The GM HUD projects what looks like out above the hood. It is crystal clear. It would reduce the number of times I take my eyes off the road to glance at my speed.

Again a big
I dont know how it works now, but it used to consist of a special reflective surface area just aboth the dash amd a projector on the top of the dash. The spot on the glass would reflect the display to be seen by the driver. Like i said, i thought it was pretty cool, but it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Youd pony up 2000$ for the hud? I didnt find it to be that lifechanging. I liked it, just not that much.

I doubt they offer a HUD as a stand alone option. You'd have to buy package xyx, for $1.5m and with that bundle of 25% useful features you get the HUD.

For a sports car they have a G-meter, RPM's (manual trans) and other gauges that I looked at while driving at speed on/off the track. Stare at the dash to get a reading at 150 MPH and the car has traveled quite the distance. When looking at the g-meter in a corner, I wouldn't even look at the dash unless I wasn't near the limit. HUD keeps the drivers eyes on the road.

Mtn. Lion is online now   Reply With Quote