Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
We have a 2010 F150 that according to the specs, could pull a small 5th wheel. We are looking at the Jayco HT 27RLTS or the 26RLS.

We have a Jayflight 24FBS now, and the truck handles it without any problems. But the 5th wheel will be heavier and the hitch weight will be more. We hate to replace the truck because she's nicely loaded, in perfect shape and only has 29,000 miles on it.

I'm not trying to bring out the weight police here (no offence to anyone). I am just hoping that anyone who does tow these "1/2 ton towable 5th wheels" could please provide me with their experience thus far. Thanks!
Well according to the information published by Ford. either your truck will be suitable for towing the units you are considering or not. The numbers are easy to run and are objective.

The subjective information you seem to be asking for does not take into account many factors such as driver experience, speed, location, grades, etc. What does "handles good" really mean? There was one thread where a fellow assured everyone that he could not tell the difference when his coach was over on the back axle by 4,000 lbs (21000/17000 = 23.5%)??

Run the numbers and decide if you want to follow the manufacturers guidelines. In some jurisidictions it seems a red light is treated as a suggestion to slow down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #16

I didn't see anyone ask this so I shall...how long is your box ?

My RAM 1500 has the short box..5.5 feet I believe...too short for a 5th hitch unless you are using a slider.. however, one idiot sales rep told me I would have no problem hauling a 34 5th with it..

"Pulling" a 5th wheel is no problem for most pick up trucks on the market... it is the stopping /panic maneuvering that counts and how much you value your life and your passengers..

I would ignore most of the comments and do the math and make sure you have a decent "buffer"...

Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I didn't see anyone ask this so I shall...how long is your box ?

My RAM 1500 has the short box..5.5 feet I believe...too short for a 5th hitch unless you are using a slider.. however, one idiot sales rep told me I would have no problem hauling a 34 5th with it..

"Pulling" a 5th wheel is no problem for most pick up trucks on the market... it is the stopping /panic maneuvering that counts and how much you value your life and your passengers..

I would ignore most of the comments and do the math and make sure you have a decent "buffer"...
My F150 has the 5'7" box with no slider. I have the Reese Sidewinder pin box instead at a great weight savings over the Pullrite SuperGlide. With the Max Tow package, I am rated to tow 11K and the fiver is 9.5K. I've had panic stops with no issue and down mountains with no issue. You have to drive like you have good sense though, even with an HD truck.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 9' box on the truck. The box is a custom build for a cab and chassis truck.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #19

I own a 2012 Jayco HT RLS2650 like you are considering and pulled it with a 2008 GMC Sierra (6.0 with standard 6.6 ft bed) for three years and never encountered any problems. I recently upgraded to a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500. I do notice that I feel more comfortable towing with the bigger truck but I had no issues in the 3 years with the half-ton.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #20

I have a 6.5 foot bed in my truck and I tow an Open Range Lite.
I have been trying to post a picture but I am having trouble doing so.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #21

My truck and 5Th wheel

[attach]82812[/attach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	82812  
Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3346 View Post
I have a 1/2 ton 2014 siverado high country with a 5.3L engine and 3.42 axle. The dealer salesman talked me out of the 6.2L and the 3/4 ton knowing my driving history that I would be doing mostly non camper driving verses occasional camper towing. The 2014 has 355 hp with 6 speed overdrive. He thought I would be fine with the 5.3.
He was right. the truck handles my 2014 Dutchman Danali 286 rex with no problem. I put the transmission in 5th gear and can run 70 no problem. It does shift down to 4th on hills and goes up to around 3000 rpm to maintain my cruising speed of 60 to 65 mpg. I let it drop back to 50 or 55 on really steep long grades to prevent from shifting to 3rd.
Trailer dry weight is 8400 lb with a hitch weight of 1785lb, putting me 400 lbs over weight on the rear axle. This is the only negative. My GCW is 16,600, over the truck GCWR by 600lb. If the truck had a 3.73 axle, the trucks GCWR would be 16,900. So I,m comfortable with this setup. I could load the trailer lighter if I wanted to.
I did add timbren load levelers to the truck to keep it level. GM has the high country package on 3/4 tons for 2015, so my next truck will be a 3/4 or 1 ton.
You are way overloaded! No way you should be towing that load with that truck. The new 2.7 ecoboost smoked the chevy with that engine and it isn't rated for that load. Give me a heads up on your travels so I can stay off the highway. Don't want to get rear ended into the next state. That 400 pounds over weight is probably more like 8 or 900. The capacity is rated with a 150 lb driver and no payload. Do you have any passengers or cargo you carry? Yes and then add that to the 400lbs.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #23

We have a 02 F150 SCREW, 5.4, 4x4, auto w/FX4 package. Also has add a leaf on the rear. Stock tow rating is 7500lbs before add a leaf. We're towing a 06 Cougar 1/2 ton rated 245EFS and no problems towing. It's just the wife and our 25lb dog. Have to go slow over the mountains but that's no problem. Since we're retired we take it slow and easy. We live in SW Colorado and planning a 6 week trip north this summer in it.

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing