RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

Why big crew cabin??

We are getting back into RVs after about 8-10 years without a camper. This will be our 3rd 5th wheel.

My first tow truck was a short bed Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab (partial back seat where people set side-ways) This might not be the correct term for this type of cab. It was a 4x4. Cummings 6 cylinder diesel. Terrible tow truck. Broke out the back glass on my truck making a sharp backing turn going down hill plus the truck was constantly auto shifting up and down through the gears.

Our next was a Ford extended cab(right term??). Long bed. V8 diesel 3/4 ton 4x4. Great tow truck.

My experience has been shorter trucks do better in modern, smaller parking places common now.

We need a 4x4 due to weather where we will live. It is just me, my wife and a miniature schnauzer. I don't care about style. Never been a stylish person.

It seems many of the newer trucks have this big, 2 rows of forward facing seats and a short bed. My question is why this type of truck??

deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, my first thought is, if you can't immediately look at one of those four door trucks and think of why YOU need one, then stick with what you know works for you - which also happens to be easier to park.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

The truck makers can out sell cars by making the cabin bigger and nicer.
I remember a long time ago cars (Camry and Accord) were selling like hot cakes. Now these trucks with nice interiors and big cabins are selling like hot cakes.

They still make the smaller cabins but you will not find one in the top trim levels.

In 2015 the F-150 increased the cabin size. Followed in 2017 increased cabin size in F250/350. In 2019 Ram and Chevy 1500's will have larger cabins. The Ram 2500/3500 already has a large cabin. Not sure what year that happened.

Actually for towing the single cab trucks have the most capacity. They are also less expensive.

But the reason is the larger nicer cabins have the most profit.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

I would guess it is the market. Those that have 4 passengers, (growing teens) can't get the heavy duty Excursion or Suburban for heavy towing anymore, so the only thing left that can haul people (sort of), and tow is the Crew Cab truck. Even with that, the dressed up ones often have front consoles, so you really only haul up to 5, (4 with elbow room).

With your "crew", you could easily get by with an extended cab, save some money, and get a nicely equipped truck to pull your 5th wheel. The modern crew cab 4x4 is the hot ticket today, I'm seeing extended and standard cab trucks leftover from 2017. I can't explain it in engineering terms but the longer wheelbase always seems to handle the load better, but you do lose some turning radius, and parking ease.

I'm really liking the 6.2L Ford and the 6.4L Hemi in a 2500/3500 as the most for the least $. Heavy towing, and mountains, well, I guess the modern diesel still rules the day. For budget minded folks, Ford offers an XL work truck with Chrome Package, Power package, and STX appearance, plus FX4 in the F-250 6.2L gas that is quite the value.

Forum member tuffr2 just swapped from F-450/Diesel 5th wheel to F-250/6.2L, it's an informative discussion. Since you liked your old Ford V8 tow rig, maybe reach out to him to get his input?
Anyone towing with 2017/2018 F-250 6.2?

Edit: timing is everything, right here he is! Looking quite happy with himself and his new truck in his avatar, I might add.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

Some people (many given how these trucks sell) just don't need an 8' bed but do need 4, 5, or 6 seat belts.

My boys (11 and 15) wouldn't ride very comfortably on a trip in an extended cab and I'm thankful for the extra enclosed volume most of the time.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

Not sure where your at. In Texas trucks are a big deal. I have a 3500 4x4 Dodge diesel. I've had three. I've taken time and shopped carefully for all of them. The one I have now was $30k. To replace it it would be $74k, and to replace it with a Ford it would be $85k. I looked just a few weeks ago. It's not a mega cab but it has room for adults to stretch out and nap in the back seat. A mega cab can actually be had with reclining back seats. It's what sells. A single cab truck in Texas right now would be the equivalent of spotting a UFO or a Bigfoot.

Also, there's no G in Cummins.
charliez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Why the crew cabs? Manufacturers make them because people like to buy them. If crew cabs are not for you buy whatever truck configuration suits your needs best.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #8

All three manufacturers still make supercab/extended cab/ king cab long bed models. If that's what you want - go get it.

We ended up with a CC for just the two of us and the dog. Dog gets a full back seat. Resale will be better. We occasionally use it for friends. I've had 2 and I wouldn't even think of a extended cab anymore.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #9

I agree, resale is important if you trade up every few years. If you drive your trucks for many years than get what you most desire.
But not having a CC is like having a small engine under the hood. Not much value there.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Just to clarify on my previous post - I've had 2 Extended cabs and 3 Crew Cabs...wouldn't ever go Extended Cab again.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #11

I don't think that, once you go to a crewcab, you would ever go back to anything else. We love ours for Costco trips, taking friends out, and the bulldogs have plenty of room on long trips. Plus as others mentioned, resale will be better. But get whatever trips your trigger.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #12

I have a GMC 2500HD SLT with double cab and 78 inch long bed. I chose this truck because it and the Chevy twin were the only 3/4 ton trucks with a 2nd seat that could fit in my garage. The SLT trim is great and more upscale than any previous vehicle I have owned. The 2nd seat doors work just like the CrewCab. I like the 78 inch truck bed and I have a Leer camper shell and bedbug installed. I also have a 180 watt solar panel on the Leer shell. I keep my astronomy gear in the truck bed. The 2nd seat is usually empty but I have had 3 people back there when driving coworkers to lunch. Everyone survived without crewcut size legroom.

I bought the 3/4 ton truck because I live near mountains and wanted to safely tow a modest size but heavy Arctic Fox 22G. I have a very short commute so I only fill the tank every 4 weeks and put in about 28 gallons of gas.

My son is a rock climber and he bought a Tundra double cab so he could have the longer bed with camper shell to live out off when going on climbing trips. He would have bought a Tundra without the 2nd seat if they still made them.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #13

I wouldn't own nuttin but a CC. I hate having to open one door to open another door. Unless you have a reg cab then there's no room behind the seat.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #14

I chose a 4wd, Crew Cab, short bed (6'4") Ram 2500 to tow my 5er with for a few reasons. And I'm sure these reasons will vary depending on an individual's needs.

1.) I daily drive the truck, so getting it into the short parking spots at work was important. The long bed crew cabs stick out too far.

2.) I need the extra cab space for my kids since this is my daily driver and I often have to get them to and from school, sports, etc...

3.) At the time we also had a Polaris RZR 4 seater, so I needed to be able to use the 4wd on occasion to get us into and out of some tight spots. (We no longer have the RZR so 4wd is not needed, and the downside is that it sits higher than the 2wd which made leveling my 5er a little more of a chore)

All that said, a lot of newer 5ers can be towed with a short bed, CC truck with no issues. I installed a slider hitch when we got our 5er just to ensure there was enough room but with the 88 degree corners, I've never used it.