Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #29

When You get stuck You will know.Needed mine a few times.Saved a tow bill.had a 1996 new 2wd stuck up north bear hunting.Got out after about 2 hours got a new 1997 4x4 3/4 ton CTD club cab never have a 2wd again in My truck truck now 2009 4x4 CTD Crew Cab and a little 276 Cougar 1/2 ton towable 5er lol I know the truck can pull it fine!Bushman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
I have a two wheel drive pick-up towin our 5er and I think what I like is that its a bit lower than a 4 x 4. That said our next pick up will be a 4 x 4 cause its just when you need one and don't have one your in trouble. And most times when you need one you need it badly.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two part answer from me.

1. i was in only 1 campground over 35+ years of camping where I needed 4X4 to get out. the roads from the campsites to the exit road were fairly steep and relatively deep gravel. i got part way up and started spinning the rear wheels. Kicked in the 4X4 and made it up the hill. But that is the ONLY time I ever needed it while towing.

2. when I ordered my last 2 Ford F-450's, they all come with 4X4. Unlike the F-350, there is no 4X2 option for the F-450.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #32

I own a motor home now, but our previous RV was a travel trailer. We towed that with a 4x4 and never NEEDED it. We did find that we would find ways to use it though. We took it on a trip to the snow one year and I took it in some very remote locations on a river and lake lake a couple of times. With the motor home I could go everywhere I took the 4x4 and travel travel trailer, but I'm more careful with my choices. The snow is not that big of a deal, but the remote locations I could probably get to or from the places I went before, but the torsion and twist on the chassis worries me. I think a couple of previous posters accurately stated that a 2wd will work for you 99.9% of the time, the other 0.1% you may have to avoid the situation that would require the extra traction.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #33

This just baffles me people will spend big money trying to gain mpg on vehicles. Here's a case of saving money to get better mpg all that is required is common sense driving. 4x4 have there place but how did everyone survive 40 years ago very few 4x4. People towed big loads with pickups just used there head.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargee View Post
This just baffles me people will spend big money trying to gain mpg on vehicles. Here's a case of saving money to get better mpg all that is required is common sense driving. 4x4 have there place but how did everyone survive 40 years ago very few 4x4. People towed big loads with pickups just used there head.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #35

Not everyone does. Went from a 3/4 ton 4X4 to a dually 4X2 with no regrets. Pulling a heavy trailer there is nothing short of a class 8 tow truck that would help me out if I was in a situation needing help getting unstuck. So why waste the extra money on something unecessary?
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #36

If you're concerned about the miniscule cost difference in insurance, fuel or maintenance between a 4WD V. 2WD, then RV'ing may simply be too expensive for you. If ALL of your driving will be on paved or hard packed dirt roads, you should not "need" 4WD. If your wheels ever touch sand, gravel, grass or snow/ice, you may well actually need 4WD. Here in sunny SoCal, I've found it useful in the desert, (sand) back roads, (gravel/rocks) our 7100' mountains (snow). None of those times while towing our fifth-wheel, or pull trailers. If for example, you live in and only drive in TX and keep it on paved or hard pack roads, you certainly should not "need" 4WD.

If you're among us who love venturing off the beaten path, 4WD is typically a necessity.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
"4 by 4" is eight bigger than "4 by 2".
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #38

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Ummmmmm.....OK. Anything's possible, I suppose. However, in 16+ years of towing 5th wheels with 4x2 duallies with limited slip differentials, I've never experienced this and have never been stuck, either loaded or unloaded.

You know, every time this discussion comes up, I think about all the Class 8 semis out there towing commercial 5th wheel trailers. How many of those have powered steer axles - even the ones with single drive axles on the tractor???

I lived in Ohio for 22 years, and I know full well the advantages of 4WD in the snow and ice, but I don't tow in snow or ice. I also don't attempt to drag our 16,000 lb 36' 5th wheel over logging roads. So it's a matter of horses for courses, as we say here in Texas. It all depends on the weather and terrain conditions where one will be using the truck. For us, I don't need (or WANT) 4WD.

Rusty
Well said. We're on our fourth diesel 4x2 and never have had the need for a 4x4. Of course, we live in an area where we don't need it and don't plan on going places where we might need it.

One time when we were trading, the sales guy started moaning about how the 4x2 I was bringing in would be hard to sell and the trade-in value might not be very good. I said that was no problem since I expected the new 4x2 he was wanting to sell me would be priced accordingly since he might have a hard time selling that one too.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's something I've always wondered about:

Why does everyone say "4x2" instead of "2x4", or just "2wd"?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #40

Alot of places we camp have beach access. You have to have a 4x4 to get a permit to drive on the Outer Banks beaches.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
There was not one 2 wheel drive on any lot when I needed one, only 4 wheel so thats why I got one. Haven't really needed it but height in the rear and fuel mileage seems about the same as 2 wheel drive. Could have ordered but then would have to wait 12 weeks.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #42

Which one should I buy a Truck or a Motorhome? I have a 14 foot double axle cargo trailer also and would need to be pulled by either one. Can a 21-24 motorhome pull this cargo trailer?

Thanks, Bob