Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Which one should I buy a Truck or a Motorhome? I have a 14 foot double axle cargo trailer also and would need to be pulled by either one. Can a 21-24 motorhome pull this cargo trailer?

Thanks, Bob
Only if it's a 4x4...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #44

Bob you hit on exactly what my family has been contemplating.wife n I ride motorcycles I've had multiple back surgeries long distance riding days done. Went back n forth looking at toy haulers etc. came up with 28 ft class a pulling 14 ft trailer with two bikes. So far so good. With my back I can get bed ridden at any time hence the freedom of the rv.
1st rv of any kind enjoy it more then I even expected. Yes I have a 4x4 pickup used on farm but no where to sleep in it thus the motorhome.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Only if it's a 4x4...
I lived in Michigan for 30 years and never needed a 4x4 for anything where I lived. I can see a 4x4 up north in snow belt but not in the lower peninsula. If you want to spend 4,000 dollars for a 4x4 and more gas that's your right, Here in Tennessee it is waste of money and gas for a 4X4 because our winters are nothing because our snow doesn't stay long. Wait a day and it's gone. I can see people needing 4X4 on farms but not in the city which many have.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I think they may be a fashion statement for some folks.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
I think they may be a fashion statement for some folks.
I think your 100% right because the people I know that have them own no farms or business.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52

I think your 100% right because the people I know that have them own no farms or business.
My truck has never seen snow in over 5 years and I usually have the front hubs locked most of the time. Use 4 x 4 at least 4 times per month. And unlock for long trips. Never know I will need it and want to be ready and forget them locked. Old memory is getting to me. Also love low range with standard transmissiom. A must for backing up slow, saved my clutch many times.

I have to lock in every time I level the RV, because it will spin every time on gravel, sand or grass.

I never see any fuel mileage difference in all my 20 years driving 4 different 4x4.

Its only 2x4 owners that say that, as a reason not to have a 4 x4.

Every 4x4 I ever own has best of brakes and heavy duty everything when ordering spare parts.

Since I have front hubs locked often I seldom need front end repairs on my Fords. Manual hubs for me pays of. But my GMs also had great front ends with CV joints and lots of winter use. We always say less use equales more maintenance.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Which one should I buy a Truck or a Motorhome? I have a 14 foot double axle cargo trailer also and would need to be pulled by either one. Can a 21-24 motorhome pull this cargo trailer?

Thanks, Bob
some "motorhomes" are more capable than other when it comes to towing.
Home built F700 + 24 foot Uhaul box= U-RV

that is the motorhome I built from a F700 towing a 5700lb load (Jeep and trailer) over the continental divide at monarch pass in colorado.
It would pull most ANYTHING I hitch it to. I really like my air brakes.
RV GVRW is 32,700 (actual weight 13,200)
Trailer 1600 + Jeep 4100 = 5700
I honestly can't feel the trailer behind me.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #50

We're having this discussion on another RV forum too.

I've owned and driven 4x4s for as long as I can remember. I've also owned AWD drive luxury cars and just regular pick up trucks and such. My book "Beverly Hill Climbers and Other SUVs" sold well in the late 90s and if you have or are thinking of getting a 4x4 I still have the manuscript around and can make a PDF for you to read. Coivers everything from what you drive on to how the drive lines work.

Unless you live and.or work in a very narrow set of circumstances you don't need a 4x4. A lot of today's trucks come with auto-locker rear ends which is more than enough for most traction situation, in fact it's better on snow and ice. A lot of people think you get a heavier duty work truck. Not true, what you get is a heavier truck by about 1000 lbs. Then there are arguments about hubs, manual and auto. If yo have manual you should know it and remember to keep them unlocked. If they are autolock, they unlock when you back up.

A driver who knows how to drive in soft sand does't need 4WD. I've yanked a lot of 4x4s out of soft sand with a 2wd Chevy C10 with a properly setup suspension, drive line and the proper tires.

4WD is an excellent way to get into trouble. Add a winch and it's an outstanding way to get into trouble.

As I've said for many years. Any one can drive a 4xs4, not everyone can drive a 4x4. In fact that was once the first question Ihad at a job interview. "Can you drive a 4x4?" was the question. When I answered yes the response was, "No, I mean can you drive a 4x4." The answer is still yes.

The question should be is can you drive or do you need, need a 4x4? and if the answer is yess can you properly drive a 4x4? sk yourself, "What is the main reason for are getting a 4x4? My new tow is a 4x4 but it was not on the list of items for buying a tow. Nonetheless I am very pleased to have it.

On the bottom line if you want a 4x4 don't make an excuse for buying one. Just buy it and realize they cost a bit more to run and when you take it off road, expect things to break. Like I said I was not looking for a 4x4 but I happened to find one. So I bought it.

A very old video.

Hummers Suck - YouTube

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #51

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I have always owned a 4X4 but also have had outer cars or trucks at the same time. My last truck was a 4X2 and never needed a 4X to tow my trailer. My new truck is a 4X only because that is all the dealers had on there lot at the time. If my last truck had not been totaled I would have ordered a 2X.

I also have a 96.Jeep XJ that is lifted and locked and will go through all most anything. It was built for hunting and fishing and worked with the Emergency Transport Volunteers. But I would not even tow a popup with it.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #52

Different parts of the U.S., different climates, different needs mandate what is required, be it 2WD or 4WD.
If it is mandatory that you have to be somewhere at a certain time, the roads are covered with ice and snow, you better hope there is someone out there with a big truck or 4WD to get you out of the ditch. (I have been hit and driven into ditches by idiots that did not change their driving habits due to bad weather)
Everyone has different needs and opinions. That's fine and what makes the world so interesting. I do not believe in deriding someones opinion just because their preference for 2WD is different than mine. I know what my needs are, considering we live North of Green Bay, WI and enjoy winter activities.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #53
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
My truck has never seen snow in over 5 years and I usually have the front hubs locked most of the time. Use 4 x 4 at least 4 times per month. And unlock for long trips. Never know I will need it and want to be ready and forget them locked. Old memory is getting to me. Also love low range with standard transmissiom. A must for backing up slow, saved my clutch many times.

I have to lock in every time I level the RV, because it will spin every time on gravel, sand or grass.

I never see any fuel mileage difference in all my 20 years driving 4 different 4x4.

Its only 2x4 owners that say that, as a reason not to have a 4 x4.

Every 4x4 I ever own has best of brakes and heavy duty everything when ordering spare parts.

Since I have front hubs locked often I seldom need front end repairs on my Fords. Manual hubs for me pays of. But my GMs also had great front ends with CV joints and lots of winter use. We always say less use equales more maintenance.

If you are driving with hubs locked on dry pavement (any hard surface) you are asking for trouble. I'm surprised you haven't already found out. I had a hired man drive my 4X4 out of a plowed field onto a paved road (he didn't unlock hubs when he got on the pavement like I told him to do). After a 1/4 mile and 2 90* corners he twisted the front drive line in 2.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
Locking the hubs on pavement won't do a darn thing to hurt the axles. No Jeep has had locking/unlocking hubs since the mid '80s, most 4x4 trucks don't even have hubs that you can unlock these days, Ford being the exception.

Now leaving the transfer case in 4wd is a different story.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #55
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Locking the hubs on pavement won't do a darn thing to hurt the axles. No Jeep has had locking/unlocking hubs since the mid '80s, most 4x4 trucks don't even have hubs that you can unlock these days, Ford being the exception.

Now leaving the transfer case in 4wd is a different story.
I stand corrected on that point. I was thinking he was saying he was using four wheel drive also. It does put unnecessary wear and tear from the wheels to and into the transfer case

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #56

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
My Jeep is far from stock the tires are 33X12.59-15 on beedlock rims.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote