Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #57

If you have manual locking hubs and try to drive them on dry pavement there is a potential for damage to the the drive line. Usually seen as a binding in the diff gears but it can be much worst.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #58

Alpine Owners Club
Don't know how this misinformation keeps popping up, locking the hubs does NOTHING dangerous to the driveline if the transfer case is in 2wd.

It may cause a slight drop in MPG, and it does cause the front driveline to rotate putting slight additional wear on the U-Joints. The front differential is designed to allow the wheels to rotate ant different speeds, causing no binding/stress at all.

Now those of us who have added aftermarket lockers in front may cause damage if we try driving around on dry pavement with the locker engaged, won't be able to steer worth a darn either. But most of us are smart enough not to do that.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #59

After driving for in Oklahoma for almost 50 years I never had a need for a 4 wheel drive. We just did with what we had. In 2010 I bought my first 4X4 to pull my travel trailer, then we got a blizzard to beat all blizzards, 15" of snow. Since I work in a powerplant I had to go to work no matter the weather. If I hadn't had this truck I would have never made it in or out. I live in eastern OK so the roads are curvy and hilly, but I have to admit the snow smoothed out the chug holes and made you think you were in another state.
power guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin
I think they may be a fashion statement for some folks.
Probably some truth to that. When I was shopping for a new TV I asked the salesman why the pickups were generally 4x4 and had the darker interior colors. He said the buyers and company follow the sales trends. Dark interiors in Texas may look good, but they sure get hot.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #61

I should have said driving with locked hubs in 4wd = the potential for damage to the driveline

Driving with the hubs locked in 2wd screws your gas milage. It cal also affect your stopping distance and maneuverability.

We all make mistakes.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a F-350 Dual wheel Pick-up Truck but have been having a big problem finding a used truck with only regular cab, no 4x4, gas engine. I don't know why everybody wants a 4X4 on highway. When I pull my future 5th wheel Camper I would think I will have plenty of traction.

Thanks, Bob
"It's a Jeep Thing, you wouldn't understand" (windshield sticker)
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
"It's a Jeep Thing, you wouldn't understand" (windshield sticker)
That's funny, I've got a tire cover on my Land Rover Discovery (the DW's grocery getter) that says "Stuck, it's Jeep thing, I don't understand it."

Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #64

[QUOTE="desertranger"]I should have said driving with locked hubs in 4wd = the potential for damage to the driveline

Driving with the hubs locked in 2wd screws your gas milage. It cal also affect your stopping distance and maneuverability.

We all make mistakes.[/QUO

I still say that on my Ford I hardly see any fuel mileage difference with locked hubs while towing. RAMS have no hubs or does Jeep. 4wd for me is by necessity and will never be without it. I pushed on to many 2wd in the past and having a weighted load for traction is plain dum.

My 5th wheel has not enough pin weight to climb hills on dry grass and much less on wet. Where I park in Florida. I need 4 X 4.
And it ads more like 300 lbs on my 7800lbs truck.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #65

When Jeep introduced the wrangler they changed the way the 4 wheel drive engages by using a cog setup in the half shafts. Vacuum engaged if you have a failure in the front drive system as simple as a vacuum leak it means your the same as a regular car.

As for why drive one? Caissiel Says a 4x4 for him is a necessity. I worked in palce where 4WD is needed fairly often so I can also say it is a necessity. I live in AZ and most of the truck I see are 4x4s. While looking for a truck to haul the trailer with Theonly truck I found that wold do the work were 1ton RWD dually's and 4x4 3/4 tons. Of all the truck I looked at only one F250 could have been considered standard sized.

Seems that everyone here out not only lift their trucks but they like really aggressive tires as well.

It took almost 3 months to find an unlifted truck. Even then it was a 4x4.

A last comment on why everyone needs a 4x4. Three little letters, ego. Driving a 4x4 is cool even if you never take it off the road. It tuns out and most people who own these monster trucks rarely if ever take them off road.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #66

Alpine Owners Club
Fortunately Jeep dumped the disconnect system in '90 as it was failure prone. It was used in the 84-90 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) and 87-90 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)

Most manufacturers have simply gone to the fixed hub system as it's simple, cost effective and is one less step to engage 4wd. Super Dutys have had vacuum hubs with a manual override at least up to '06 and it works well.

There are no handling or stopping penalties for leaving the hubs engaged and only a minimal fuel penalties for having permanent hubs or locking your manual hubs in preparation for needing them. Most folks up here that have manual hubs leave their hubs locked all winter just in case they need them. All they have to do in cab is pull a lever, no one wants to get out and try to turn a hub at 10ºF.

As to making judgments on people's reasons for having one all I can say is most up here are stock and work hard. Those that think they can get around OK without one should come on up for a couple of winters and see just how well they get along.

Different strokes for different folks, some need it, some want it and some buy it to butcher it to make it look "cool" for each it's the right choice.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #67

Texas Boomers Club
1 original post and 66 replies for what, to me, is an obvious question.

Some do need 4 wheel drive because of their weather and/or terrain conditions in which they use the truck. Others of us get along fine without it and realize the benefits of 2 wheel drive. Each individual must decide whether he/she needs it or not and make his/her purchase decision accordingly.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #68

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We never tow in 4 wheel drive, but it sure is handy at times and when you need it you need it.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Some do need 4 wheel drive because of their weather and/or terrain conditions in which they use the truck. Others of us get along fine without it and realize the benefits of 2 wheel drive. Each individual must decide whether he/she needs it or not and make his/her purchase decision accordingly.

Rusty
I agree with Rusty. Been RVing since 1984 and never had the need for 4 wheel drive. I do not plan to take the truck and trailer anywhere thaet might require 4-WD.

But it is up to the owner and where he plans go.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #70

As a tour guide driving a Jeep we used 4wd was everyday or we would have never gotten jeep loads of people up and down the mountains safely. I've had need for it on job sites both on and off road, for Search and Rescue work, and to pull the occasional stuck vehicle out of trouble. Honestly these days I have no need for a 4x4.

So why do I have one; why do any of us have one? I think I have the real answer we're still kids, never growing up like firefighters, heavy equipment operators forest rangers and guides we are still playing with sandbox toys xxcept now our sandbox is bigger and so are the toys.

You don't need a reason to buy a 4x4 and there are no real advantages or disadvantages to driving one daily on the street except in fuel costs.

There is only one good reason to go out and buy a 4x4. It's what you want. So if you want a 4x4, go get one and enjoy it. The truck I got for a hauler was a find, a piece of good fortune at the right time. I wasn't looking specifically for a 4x4, but am very pleased that I have it.