Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Question Why does everyone need a 4x4 Truck?

I'm thinking about buying a F-350 Dual wheel Pick-up Truck but have been having a big problem finding a used truck with only regular cab, no 4x4, gas engine. I don't know why everybody wants a 4X4 on highway. When I pull my future 5th wheel Camper I would think I will have plenty of traction.

Thanks, Bob
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #2

I am sure glad I bought 4x4 on my F350. I have used it a number of times to park my fiver in my yard. Without it, I would have torn up the lawn on those occasions when the lawn was wet (not boggy, just wet). Guess I could have waited for it to dry but didnt need to.

Now having said that, I just completed a 7500 mile trip and didnt need it the first time in a campground. However, there were a couple of side trips that that I wouldnt have taken if I didn't have it.

In my neck of the woods, it also helps the resale value. Everyone around here wants 4x4 it seems.

Edit: Just noticed you said dually. My opinion is for SRW.
petehami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

With late model trucks, often the ride height and suspension stiffness is the same with either 4x4 or 4x2. So the only "penalty" for getting the 4x4 is the bit of extra weight for the front transaxle.

When not towing, my truck is my daily driver. Being in a rural environment and in snow country, I wanted the 4x4.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

When we had our dually, 2 wheel drive, and the 40' 5th wheel, we never had an occasion to need anything but. A four wheel drive will also use more gas. If you think you may need it for some reason, by all means do so. We just never needed it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
You only need 4 wheel drive if you don't have it.

I've towed with 4X4 vehicles since 2002.

It has gotten me out of trouble, usually in my own backyard, several times.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Can't use it if you don't have it !! I do and I do !
dav-cle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like a lot of things "Better to Have and Not Need".
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
With locking, and more importantly unlocking, front hubs that Ford uses the extra weight of the 4x4 will only cause a minimal increase in fuel mileage if any at all. For many the benefits of having 4wd available far outweigh the slight extra cost and complexity. Plus a 4x4 is much easier to sell in many areas and odds are any extra up front cost will be recovered on sale.

Plus that low range comes in handy more often than you'd think
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
A lot of it has to do with the weather conditions as well as the terrain you'll be towing in. Down here in Texas, many of us tow with 4x2 trucks. That's all I've used since 1996, and in 16 years I've yet to be stuck or be in a situation where I needed 4WD.

If you need 4WD (or even if you just want it for some reason), get it, but there are a number of advantages to a 2WD truck for towing service.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why do people feel the need for 4x4.... Well there are several reasons. I can give you mine (And will) but I don't want a truck I want like a jeep liberty.

First: Many people feel that the 4x4's are "Heavier Duty" and that they can thus haul more, pull more and otherwise do more.. I have seen this in the forums when folks are looking for tow vehicles. Is this true? Frankly I do not care and thus do not know.

Second: Some folks (Myself included) on occasion wish to go places where 4 wheel drive is .. Kind of handy.. I have one place I do wish to visit where front wheel drive is a must and if you miss a turn you still get stuck.... 4wheel drive won't get stuck even if you miss the turn.

(I finally figured out how to do it , Going north I never missed the turn.. Going South I took a paved road)

My reasons for wanting a jeep is 2 fold..First: I drive a Damon Intruder with a very high hitch point, JEEPS have bumpers nearly the same height, thus easier to configure tow bar.. Second Manual transfer case, Put in "N" to tow.

And that's why I want a 4x4

Now, back before I was a full time Rver, a 4x4 would have been handy as .. .Well, I worked in emergency services so it was IMPORTANT my desk be manned 24x7.. In 25 years I missed exactly one day due to weather.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52
I'm thinking about buying a F-350 Dual wheel Pick-up Truck but have been having a big problem finding a used truck with only regular cab, no 4x4, gas engine. I don't know why everybody wants a 4X4 on highway. When I pull my future 5th wheel Camper I would think I will have plenty of traction.

Thanks, Bob
My TV is a used 4 X 4. It was what I found when shopping. I stuck my old TT once in my side yard before my pad was installed. A friend with a 4x4 hooked on and pulled it right out. I think it will be nice to have it when needed. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #12

Two wheel drive easier to handle turns better better ride better gas mileage cheaper to purchase easier to get into. No need for extra parts to wear out. Your not gonna go ditch hopping with the 5th wheel I'm sure.
No need at all for 4x4 highways 99.9 per cent time waste money. My 2 cents
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #13

Why we have a 4x4 F250 Truck.

Our driveway has a slope to it. In the winter we pull to the curb,put the truck in 4x4 and get a running start on our driveway. We get lots of snow in the cold east of the USA. DH works in maintenance for an apt. complex that has elderly residents. He is required to be to work on time to start snowplowing. Our city gives secondary roads second priority in snow plowing. We use 4x4 as needed to get to the mainroads.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I get it because I want it.... that's all - and that's reason enough (so far )

it also is a convenience to have low range to place the 5er just where I want with very lite throttle as opposed to having to goose it to overcome the high range and then slam on the brakes when it goes too far