Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Well, I have gone through all the figures. And, it seems as though my truck and trailer match. My GVW is 6800, minus the curb weight of 5050 leaves 1750, minus 150 for my wife and 120 for the hitch receiver leaves 1480 for the pin weight. I don't carry anything else in the truck. My trailer pin weight per the brochure is 1160. These figures also leave (1480 divided by .17) a maximum trailer weight of 8411. My trailer weighs 6517 and maximum cargo is 2269. If my pin weight really is 1160 (I'll have to weight it) then I can add 320 to cargo weight, making it 2214. Otherwise, I'll have to limit my cargo weight to 1894. Thanks for the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #16

Why do people try and squeeze every pound out of a truck and trailer? Buying the proper truck would eliminate all their issues.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Why do people try and squeeze every pound out of a truck and trailer? Buying the proper truck would eliminate all their issues.
This is all JMHO, and I don't say this to prolong this post, perhaps I should start my own blog.

Truck manufacturers , hype the capabilities , of their 1/2 tons so people will by them , the lighter trucks have the better fuel economy, so the manufacturers get to keep their corporate fuel economy numbers up, by selling more 1/2 tons.
TT & 5er makers , hop on the band wagon with 1/2 ton towable ads, because they know how many 1/2 tons are out there. It's only when an owner starts to do, due diligence , and sees that the numbers don't add up, that they start to realize they have fallen into an expensive trap.
Do they , spend the $$ and get the truck they need , or try to find a trailer that fits their current truck?
The people who realize they are pushing the envelope, come asking the question, " What can I tow ?" They are the smart ones , unfortunately there are a lot of RV owners that take all the hype as truth and never weigh their RVs , they are the ones that are a danger to themselves and others on the road.
Thank you Chillbilly, for doing your due diligence. Safe travels.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The proof in the pudding will be the CAT scale report in the middle of your third RV trip, with full tank of gas and otherwise normally loaded trailer and tow vehicle, including driver, passengers, tools, everything.

Add the weights on the front and rear truck axles and compare to the GVWR of the truck. If you're not overloaded over the GVWR of the truck, then you're good to go.

But I strongly suspect that you're going to be overloaded with a 8,000-pound 5er. I have a 5er that grosses about 8,000 pounds when wet and loaded for the road, and it overloaded my '99.5 F-250 CrewCab 4x2 diesel. I recently towed that 5er with my F-150 that has 7,100 GVWR and I was severely overloaded over the GVWR and rear GAWR of the F-150.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your truck has a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.. (Maximum) you need to know this figure.

Then you need to know the loaded weight of the truck (Without trailer)

Subtract second from first
That is the max weight of the trailer

IE: 20,000 MAX CGVW - 3,000 GVW - 17,000 left over

NOW. IN addition to that max there is the hitch rating

15,000 pound hitch in the above example, Max tow is 15,000 pounds

20,000 pound hitch, max tow is 17,000 pounds.

This applies to all vehicles

DO NOT FORGET GOOD BRAKES on trailer.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I can tell you the (probably) worse place for accurate information: RV Dealers and the second worse: Truck Dealers!! I suspect most if not all 1/2 tons are over limits for a 5th wheel and really suspect many 3/4 ton trucks are as well. The pin weight, the total weight, the axle weights, all are supposed to be under the max limits. The one poster told you to look at your specs and the specs of the trailer and that is your answer.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #21

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just curious, what is included in the "curb weight" of a truck? Does it include all the installed options and a full tank of gas? Seems that some available options on trucks could run the scales up a few pounds, and a full 30 gallon tank would add another 180 to 200 pounds. Maybe that's why they make truck scales...
Old 07-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #22

Pulling it is one thing. Stoping it is a different story.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Well, I have gone through all the figures. And, it seems as though my truck and trailer match. My GVW is 6800, minus the curb weight of 5050 leaves 1750, minus 150 for my wife and 120 for the hitch receiver leaves 1480 for the pin weight. I don't carry anything else in the truck. My trailer pin weight per the brochure is 1160. These figures also leave (1480 divided by .17) a maximum trailer weight of 8411. My trailer weighs 6517 and maximum cargo is 2269. If my pin weight really is 1160 (I'll have to weight it) then I can add 320 to cargo weight, making it 2214. Otherwise, I'll have to limit my cargo weight to 1894. Thanks for the help.
I suspect that you will be over the rear axle weight limit with that setup. Expect the pin weight to be 10-30% higher than advertised.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Pulling it is one thing. Stoping it is a different story.

`nuf said

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
UPDATE - Picked up the Fifth Wheel yesterday. Stopped at the CAT Scales on the way home. Steering Axle weighed 3160, Drive Axle weighed 3580, Trailer Axle weighed 5760, and the Combined Gross Weight was 12500. Now, seeing as those figures are well within the specs, my next step is to fill it up and weigh it again. By the way, I have disk brakes all around and a built in trailer control so braking should not be a problem. And, Mr. Cumminsfan, the reason for my question was a matter of safety - and cost, something the majority of us do understand.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
UPDATE - Picked up the Fifth Wheel yesterday. Stopped at the CAT Scales on the way home. Steering Axle weighed 3160, Drive Axle weighed 3580, Trailer Axle weighed 5760, and the Combined Gross Weight was 12500. Now, seeing as those figures are well within the specs, ...
No, they are not well within the specs. You're fooling yourself. The GVW is barely within the specs with an empty truck and an empty 5er.

Your GVWR is 6,800. Your GVW is 6,740 (3160+3580). Add 60 pounds to your payload, either passengers or hitch weight or tools in the bed of the pickup or a full tank of gas, and you'll exceed the GVWR of your 1500.

That's no big surprise. Half-ton pickups cannot tow a normal 5er without being overloaded. You'll be overloaded. So be concerned with what you add to your payload, either in the pickup or the trailer.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #27

Well I guess in his mind it is in spec and OK. Also the fact that he has disc brakes all the way around is plenty of stopping power. Wait till he puts water in the holding tank, groceries, towels, clothes, etc.
White knuckle ride for sure. Good luck with your 5th wheel and your adventures.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
How about a little "magic towing dust"

Part 1

Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat