Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The standards I previously quoted to you provide the answers you're looking for.

The vehicle owner's manual - also a product of those standards - will list exceptions for recommended inflation pressures.

Getting out of snow, icy conditions or any other unusual emergency situations are options for such conditions. Those options can normally be found in such publications as tire data books and publications from organizations such as the Rubber Manufacturer's Association (RMA).

Tire industry standards - those standards tire manufacturers set for themselves - will not, under normal circumstances, recommend using less inflation pressure than that which has been set by vehicle manufacturer.

Do not mingle FMCSA regulations with FMVSS standards, one is not applicable with the other.
This is your story and you should stick with it. Just don't try to change others minds because you aren't. You really need to get out from under all those rules and regulations that apparently control all of your actions.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
From what I've found out in new vehicles like mine; the driver does not have much leeway when it comes to the tire pressure range - with the computer.

The tire recommendation is 60 in front and 80 in the back. You can lower it about 10-13 psi from the recommendation before the warning light comes on. I'm told the dealer can not change this, while in the past they may have been able to do it.

You could lower the tire pressure and drive with the warning all the time. And it may be possible to remove the sensors and disable the tire pressure monitoring system. I don't know about that.
This is an interesting situation. I forgot about the on board systems that monitor tire pressure. The process to change the parameters is not too difficult but maybe it's not worth it.
My only point in my posts is that it's silly to go around with max pressure and minimum load. Some may think that is not legal or smart or maybe that it should be against the law, but I don't. Rather than argue lets just lead our lives the way we want and not expect everyone else to think like we do.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
This is your story and you should stick with it. Just don't try to change others minds because you aren't. You really need to get out from under all those rules and regulations that apparently control all of your actions.
My information is based on factual information from the tire and automotive industries and government safety regulations. Your information seems to be based on your personal perceptions about tires in general.

In all things about safety there is a right way and a wrong way and maybe a foggy way. Once the safety factors are known by someone they will then know when they are operating in the "red" zone and that's then going to be a personal choice they themselves have to deal with. Directing someone into a "red" zone without informing them of the safety factors involved is unethical.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #32

Deleted.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure