Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Why Tire Pressure at Max 80psi recommended for 2500?

The door sticker on my 2500 6.4L says
Front 60 psi
Rear 80 psi

For the Firestone LT275/70R18 E that came with the truck it says the max psi is 80.

I'm wondering why the recommendation is for the max psi? I would think they would give a recommendation for something less than the max for empty and then allow the owner to air up when loaded or towing.

Also, if anyone know, I was thinking that if I was towing I would raise the front to 70 psi to handle the added weight. Should I just leave the front tires at 60 for the extra weight of towing?
Firestone¬*Transforce HT

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I run mine at 70 all the way around.

Some people lower the pressure for empty, which is fine, but I'm far too lazy for this....

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

That's maximum pressure, not recommended pressure. Looks like your recommended is 60/80. Cold.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The TPMS warning will com on for the rear at 64PSI. I try to run my rears at 68 unloaded around town. But if the warning does come on you will have to go to 80 to get it to go away. The fronts I also run at high 60's but the light should not come on till 58. I have tried to get the limits lowered by dealers but FCA has taken the ability away. When you take your truck in for any service there is a note on the worksheet that the Govt requires that tires be take up to proper PSI. Yep, just one more freedom gone.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mr D, I agree.
I keep the PSI in my TT up at 65 PSI cold as stated on the tire no matter what. When the tire heats up it will easily go past 70 and that is OK, I do not adjust it down. But I do keep the PSI a little lower on the truck unless I am towing, then I go to 75 rear and front. The EVIC on the truck will tell me the exact PSI as I travel and the TST TPMS on the TT will tell me the temp and PSI on the TT tires as I travel. If I have a tire problem I will know about it and hopefully get stopped before it does more damage.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

Information on the tire placard for psi/tire type and sizes is a recommendation only.
The placard is required by fed FMVSS regs to be placed on the vehicle by the manufacturer. In a bit their will be a little bird along to tell us once again the placard is some how the holy grail and not to be deviated from.
Any how.... Owners are free to use whatever psi/tire type and size they choose.

In the OP case the rear tires at 80 psi are over inflated for the load. A LT275/70-18 E has around 3500-3600 lbs of capacity. The 2500 Ram has a 6200 RAWR or 3100 lbs per tire load capacity so 80 psi is simply too much pressure even at max loads. Trailers add little to non weight on the trucks front axle.

My 2500 Dodge/Cummins truck with Michelin LTX AS LT265/75-16 E came with a 50 psi front and 80 psi rear on the placard. The fronts wallowed like a drunk hog on ice and the rears easily slid and rode rough.

The Cummins is heavy on the trucks front axle and I found 65 psi worked best loaded or empty with my GN/5th wheel or bumper pull trailers.

I also found 70 psi in the rears worked best with 2200-2400 lb pin weight from my 11200 lb 5th
wheel trailer or my other GN trailers.
And 45 psi when empty for a smooth ride and long term 80k+ miles of use.

All trucks have different psi needs for many reasons so one size don't fit all.

If I was the OP I would weigh the trucks front and rear axles separately then find his tire makers tire pressure chart and match his psi needs for the load.......(empty and loaded).
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
The TPMS warning will com on for the rear at 64PSI. I try to run my rears at 68 unloaded around town. But if the warning does come on you will have to go to 80 to get it to go away. The fronts I also run at high 60's but the light should not come on till 58. I have tried to get the limits lowered by dealers but FCA has taken the ability away. When you take your truck in for any service there is a note on the worksheet that the Govt requires that tires be take up to proper PSI. Yep, just one more freedom gone.
OK - although I don't agree with the establish constraints, I now understand why the door sign is written the way it is.

I currently have the front at 65 and rear at 73 for driving around town. We have smooth roads in Ga so no real jarring when driving - very smooth.

For towing I'll increase the rear to 80 and I'll have to evaluate the front needs.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
In the OP case the rear tires at 80 psi are over inflated for the load. A LT275/70-18 E has around 3500-3600 lbs of capacity. The 2500 Ram has a 6200 RAWR or 3100 lbs per tire load capacity so 80 psi is simply too much pressure even at max loads. Trailers add little to non weight on the trucks front axle.
That is interesting.
The tire at 80psi is rated for 3640
Firestone¬*Transforce HT

The rear axle is 6,000 or 3,000 each tire.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf

This raises the question, why wouldn't they put a tire on closer to the axle rating to save the money?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At least the truck does not go into limp mode if the tire PSI is out of EPA regulations. Well, for now. LOL.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

Probably because your truck has the optional 18" wheel and tires.
Look at the 17" OEM tires for a 2500 truck which may have a 3195 lb capacity.

In some cases truck makers have not changed the tire placard and it still reflects pressures for 17" OEM sizes.

Check with your Ram dealer if your concerned with the tire placard numbers.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #11

Why Tire Pressure at Max 80psi recommended for 2500?

Also try to get all wheel weights, loaded, sometime in the future. I did Smartweigh at the Escapees in Livingston. When hooked up to my loaded 5'r I actually remove 100# from the right front tire and 50# from the left as compared to unhooked. YMMV
Edit; I run 65 in the front & rear unloaded and 65 front and 80 in the rear loaded.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

A loaded pickup running on low air in the tires will squirm and not handle well.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

First off I must be clear about recommended tire inflation pressures. NHTSA writes and enforces safety regulations. Your recommended tire inflation pressures (for OE tires) - no matter what vehicle - are a product of vehicle safety and are therefore correct as displayed on the tire placard, certification label and in the vehicle ownerís manual unless proven otherwise.

If a reader is inclined to follow tire industry standards they will use the recommended inflation pressures shown on the tire placard. Motorized vehicles built using FMVSS regulations use a method different from those used for RV trailer tires. Therefore your truck tires have a reserve load capacity via inflation.

There is a lot of confusion about what a tire says on itís sidewall. The maximum load of any passenger tire used on a pick-up truck must have itís load capacity devalued for use on that truck. Itís done by dividing its load capacity by 1.1 to get its true load capacity for that fitment. The vehicle manufacturer automatically does that during tire fitment to your vehicle.

Ask yourself; Why would a tire industry say to never use less tire inflation pressure than what is listed on the tire placard for the OE tires? Just maybe the industry as a whole agrees with the information the vehicle manufacturer has placed on the tire placard. Maybe its because they just build the tires and are not responsible for how they perform once a vehicle manufacturer has decided to use them.

If you donít know the procedural steps used in determining the recommended tire inflation pressures for your vehicle maybe the vehicle manufacturer did.

Yep, itís yours. So is the responsibility to operate it safely. Millions of dollars have been spent developing tire inflation safety information, information that has been disseminated throughout the industry and is readily available just for the asking.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Also, if anyone know, I was thinking that if I was towing I would raise the front to 70 psi to handle the added weight. Should I just leave the front tires at 60 for the extra weight of towing?
In most cases the front tire load decreases when hooking up a bumper tow trailer. I would not increase tire pressure.

Tags
tire pressure