Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel

only 10k miles, lots of sand and hard black chunks.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel

only 10k miles, lots of sand and hard black chunks.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #3

Looks like its time to find another fuel station.

Bleech,
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
umm
dont get e going
the first set of filters and water in fuel lights i took my fuel sample to the station I had alwasy purchased fuel from since truck was ne,
they blew it off
second time I took a sample at the pump before i put it in my truck,
I was asked to leave and not do that anymore..
so i go to different places and take a smaple if its good i fill up if not i show em...
we only have about three in our area that sell enough and take efforts to keep it filtered, its really to bad
Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 AM   #5

Have you considered installing an extra inline filter. Just to catch the big chunks.

Maybe something like a fine mesh screen type filter.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:31 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes sir I am doing just that.
at 40 $ a pop for my tow stock filters, it gets expnsive to change em everytime we get water in fuel, first couple times i just drained them, then when i saw what was coming out, i got concerned and pulled em out, UGLY dirty filter
Old 05-02-2006, 06:23 AM   #7

The new injectors, on the Fords at least, are VERY sensitive to fuel pressure...to the point that a drop in pressure can do quite a bit of damage to them....that makes the fuel filters an excellent value....I have heard that injector damage created by low fuel pressure CAN be dismissed by the warranty folks at the big blue oval, thus making it an extremely expensive visit to the service dept!
BTW the best way to conserve $ on the filters that I have found is to purchase the (identical to Ford/Racor) filter set from the IH dealer at about 1/2 the cost. The part # is
*International Fuel filter
Int'l #: 1847170C92
and the actual application (should they need it) is the medium duty VT275 V6 diesel that shres the same HFCM as the 6.0 Fords 2003-2006.
I will not take a chance with mine by using aftermarket filters but many do.
Ian
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #8

good NAPA (WIX) filters can be got here
http://www.fleetfilter.com/ at very good prices.
They are a sponser on http://www.thedieselstop.com/ , a very good Ford diesel forum.
Fleetfilter is a NAPA store in Texas. I order all filters, for all our vehicles from them, including our tractors and riding mower.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #9

We are paying big bucks for fuel, and should be getting good quality fuel. Reporting them, not buying cases of extra filters is the solution. What you see stuck on a filter is only a small part of the fuel quality problems.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #10

Man that is nasty, don't you have some State Agency you can report that to? It's no wonder there's so many injector failures trying to pump that garbage through them.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #11

If you have not installed the new filter yet, you might consider a marine type filter made by RACOR, Model SM2000 or equal.

Its small and could be installed close to the tank on the suction side of the pump. It has a amber or clear colored bowl about 5" x 5" with a large drain in the bottom. Installed correctly, you should not worry about the bowl being damaged. I ran it for about 8 years.

I had to install one when I worked in Morgan City, LA.

You don't need to run the 10 micron filter. Just use it to catch the sand, sludge and other stuff from the tank. When under suction it makes the fuel move in a circular motion in the catch glass spinning out the debree. It really does the job. I still have it on the shelve in the garage. If you need a picture of one, I can provide it.

Dave
Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
coastaldav
thats pretty good coinicdence a friend of mine who runs b100 fuel ran into a prblem this week with a filter company(baldwin) whos filters were not bio compatiable (who would have thunk it)

we found a racor turbine series with heat and water lights.. should be real nice, I used em before but this one is 100% bio friendly
I liked their durability both in the boats and hanging underneath
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Two Bit:
They are a sponser on http://www.thedieselstop.com/ , a very good Ford diesel forum.
Fleetfilter is a NAPA store in Texas. I order all filters, for all our vehicles from them, including our tractors and riding mower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I have read at that site the Wix filters do not come with the white outer cover which is the water repeller. Not a good thing for the Ford.

'99 Ford PSD 4x4 Crewcab
lrantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Two Bit:
Fleetfilter is a NAPA store in Texas. I order all filters, for all our vehicles from them, including our tractors and riding mower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there has been some question of wix filters for teh oil system as well. seems they degrade and unglue the tops.
as far as the dieselstop
avoided it like the plague, they have digressed to nothing more than rants and raves and kissing vendor tails.
no more friendly conversations allowed
try www.superdutydiesel.com
its still family friendly with no flames