Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #29

20 to 25 foot camper, probably no problem. I bought a 27' toy hauler with an empty weight of 6580. My truck at that time was a '04 GMC 1500 Z71 with tow package. It towed it OK the trip home and the first few trips. As we added stuff to make our camping trips more comfortable, it got heavier and more unsteady. With toys in the garage, I was over capacity of the 1500 but I wasn't leaving Florida with the trailer. The trailer has a GVWR of 11800 of which 2000 is for the garage. This leaves almost 3000 lbs I can add. The empty trailer was close to the max for that truck. I was only able to tow safely because I had put LT tires on that truck instead of the P rated that came on it. The length of the trailer along with the weight, caused me the most unsteadiness. Wind off cars would even start a slight sway. The truck wasn't heavy enough to prevent the sway and I had to work at stopping the sway before the inertia built to become dangerous.

I have upgraded to a 2500 diesel and now I can load it up and tow the trailer anywhere. If I were in your shoes and wanted to stay with the 1500, 25' is the max and watch the GVWR of the trailer to be low enough to be in your trucks spec's.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #30

Jayco Owners Club
We tow a 24 foot trailer with our F150 without any problems. We took it through Banff and up and down the Alaska Hwy, which is very mountainous. Our truck has a 5.4 Litre V8 and a 3:73 axle.

I wouldn't recommend going much bigger than 24-26 feet, but I know a lot of people do.
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #31

I took my V10 6.8L F250 PU to the dealer for service the other day. I was looking at the F150. New 3.5L with a 3.55 axle. Salesman said it has eco boost and developes 400 HP. So I asked him, will it pull a mountain grade towing a 4500 pound TT like my V10. He actually said "NO". Gotta tell you my V10 with the 4.10 rear axle doesn't zip up those mountain grades. I previously towed a 4500 pound TT around WY. However, if the question is, will it tow it? Or will I eventually get to my destination? Answer is most likely yes. Are they great on flat land or going down hill. Yep, they do a great job. If I towed a TT again in WY I would have a F350 with a diesel engine. JMHO. Back in 1995 I put a home built 2000 pound TC on my new 1995 F150. I put a lot of miles on that PU with the camper. Did it do the job? "YES". After 50,000 miles my PU was totally beat. After the second transmission I sold the PU. They will do the job but they will not hold up. They are built for a bag of groceries or hauling a dog in the bed.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #32

We pull a 21 foot (25 tongue to tail) fun finder with a 2012 f150 4x4 with Ecoboost engine. We do have the max tow package. I have towed through cross winds and swirling winds with no issues. Love this truck!
Kdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post

We are thinking of selling our motorhome and getting a truck and travel trailer. Will a half ton truck manage pulling a small travel trailer? We currently have a half ton Chevy Silverado work truck. I'm guessing we will want about a 20-25' travel trailer. We have not done any looking yet, or should we just plan to buy on buying a three quarter ton truck?
If you are thinking about one of these Trailers, then you should be fine.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #34

I have seen several posts that say they tow up grade great but down grade engine braking is lacking. That in itself would scare me. You can't count on brakes for WY hills like dead indian pass etc. You need engine braking and lots of it. Just this summer tourist came down west side of Big Horns on hwy 16 with MH. Rode his brakes instead of engine braking. MH totally burned up near Tensleep. Brakes caught fire. Burned MH to the ground. Fortunately they were OK.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #35

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you are thinking about one of these Trailers, then you should be fine.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Or maybe along these lines
Old 09-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #36

Retired Fire Service RVer's
So, the OP asks a question whether or not a half ton will pull a 20-25 foot trailer. Gets some useful feedback from some members...and then the insults start?

I just don't get it...guess it's easy to take potshots when you have deeper pockets then some of us. Just sayin'...
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
So, the OP asks a question whether or not a half ton will pull a 20-25 foot trailer. Gets some useful feedback from some members...and then the insults start?

I just don't get it...guess it's easy to take potshots when you have deeper pockets then some of us. Just sayin'...
If the question is will it pull it. I doubt anybody would or could say it couldn't. I posted before I put a 2000 lb camper on a half ton truck. Could and did it get me from point A to Point B? YES! My half ton was junk and sold at 50,000 miles. Would I do it again? Nope. However, that is just my personal opinion. Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are picking on people that tow a 8000lb TT with any vehicle. Some people need to experience for themselves the best tow vehicle for their particular use. JMHO
Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If the question is will it pull it. I doubt anybody would or could say it couldn't. I posted before I put a 2000 lb camper on a half ton truck. Could and did it get me from point A to Point B? YES! My half ton was junk and sold at 50,000 miles. Would I do it again? Nope. However, that is just my personal opinion. Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are picking on people that tow a 8000lb TT with any vehicle. Some people need to experience for themselves the best tow vehicle for their particular use. JMHO
And I agree with your opinion...but the OP is/was obviously concerned about weight. Really don't think he's looking to pull an 8000 pounder with any vehicle...

Seems to me a couple of "opinions" offered weren't diagreeing, but more along the lines of putting someone down...just sayin' that's my opinion.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Quote:

Quote:
And I agree with your opinion...but the OP is/was obviously concerned about weight. Really don't think he's looking to pull an 8000 pounder with any vehicle...

Seems to me a couple of "opinions" offered weren't diagreeing, but more along the lines of putting someone down...just sayin' that's my opinion.
Welcome to the wonderful world of forums.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
My latest reply was in no way a put down to the OP's question. Little humor on my part. I posted what I thought when this began as some positive input. If the OP was offended by my picture I will remove it. For the other feed back of my post. !!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #41

I've participated in a number of forums (cars, trucks, motorcycles, and now RV's) so can't say I'm at all surprised. Just disappointed that I seem to see more of this negativity here than any other forum. JMHO.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #42

Still don't see the negativity in this post. Seabecks please point out the others not counting this one.Seems like a very informative forum.