Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #15

I was being sarcastic! I could tow faster but would rather not.
Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #16

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froman View Post
I was being sarcastic! I could tow faster but would rather not.
I was not being sarcastic. Most trailer tires are not rated above 60 mph.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #17

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Not sure why you are terrified? Maybe drop 5 mph off speed until you get the "feel" of the thing.
I believe Froman's comment about being "terrified" was TOTALLY tongue in cheek sarcastic. Just sayin'!

And Froman is a lot quicker on the keyboard than I! LOL
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I towed for two years with a 2006 Tundra 4.7v8 and never had a problem. Our TT was a TrailSport TS 25 with a dry weight of about 3850. Bumper to tongue was about 29'. We had sway bars and did not come across any wind or 18 wheeler that was too much for the combo. Gas mileage was 9 to 12. It would pull the mountains better than my class a gas does now. The Tundra was rated to pull 7100, so I was only pulling about half.
If you stay well below your truck rating you shouldn't have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WY Sept 6 (6).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	73584  
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #19

The weak link in a 1/2 ton is the tranny when it comes to towing long-term. Especially in mountains or at higher speeds with frequent downshifts and sustained heavy load. With a heavy duty tranny cooler and regular oil changes, it should be ok for a while. But a 3/4 ton will be better.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I was not being sarcastic. Most trailer tires are not rated above 60 mph.
Yes they are. Actually they're rated to 65 mph.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
20 posts and no one has mentioned STOPPING. Sure, you can pull a 747 with a half ton truck, but can you stop safely? You are at the upper limits of tow capacity and then some are bragging at traveling at the tire's speed capacity as well. I personally would be a lot more comfortable with a bit bigger TV to entrust my family and possessions. Not being sarcastic, dramatic, or fear mongering, just trying to minimize risk.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #22

Some 1/2 tons yes, some no. Some are not much more than grocery getters. Seen many with v-6 engines and tall gears. One with decent gearing and a v-8 yes.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Depends on how much the TT weighs. 1/2 tons are highly overrated especially for TT towing. Most wont control the sway/fishtailing and ends up upside down on the side of the road.
Disagree. Uncontrollable sway that results in an upside down TT has a lot more to do with the hitch and a lot less to do with the payload capacity of the tow vehicle. Ignorant RVers that try to get by with a cheap hitch are much more likely to have uncontrollable sway. Even a one ton dually can have uncontrollable sway if not hooked up with a good sway-control hitch.

The TT towed by my F-150 will never have uncontrollable sway because it's tied to the F-150 by a ProPride hitch.
Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | ProPride, Inc.
My cargo trailer towed by my F-150 is very unlikely to ever have uncontrollable sway because it's tied to the F-150 by a Reese Strait-Line weight-distributing hitch with dual-cam sway control. We returned home Monday from 2,893-mile towing trip dragging my 7x14 cargo trailer with my F-150 and Strait-Line hitch. Empty trailer going west from west Texas to SoCal, then loaded to around 6,000 pounds on the return trip to Austin, then home empty trailer from Austin to home in Midland County. High winds and lots of 18-wheeler traffic, and not a bobble from my cargo trailer.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 1,200 lbs TW

Note that my ProPride cost an arm and a leg, and my Strait-Line cost over $500 including shank. Any hitch that costs less than about $500 discount price is probably not good enough. Insist on a Reese Strait-Line, or Husky CenterLine, or Equal-I-Zer that retails for around $1,000 including the shank, head, spring bars, and sway control system.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #24

With the trailer brakes setup right, you could stop the trailer with a mid sized pickup. My half ton runs in 5th or 6th 98%of the the time. Grabbed 4th once. We all get it, buy a 3/4 or 1 ton they are the bomb! . But for me the 1/2 ton had the daily driver / towing I needed.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Disagree. Uncontrollable sway that results in an upside down TT has a lot more to do with the hitch and a lot less to do with the payload capacity of the tow vehicle. Ignorant RVers that try to get by with a cheap hitch are much more likely to have uncontrollable sway. Even a one ton dually can have uncontrollable sway if not hooked up with a good sway-control hitch.

The TT towed by my F-150 will never have uncontrollable sway because it's tied to the F-150 by a ProPride hitch.
Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | ProPride, Inc.
My cargo trailer towed by my F-150 is very unlikely to ever have uncontrollable sway because it's tied to the F-150 by a Reese Strait-Line weight-distributing hitch with dual-cam sway control. We returned home Monday from 2,893-mile towing trip dragging my 7x14 cargo trailer with my F-150 and Strait-Line hitch. Empty trailer going west from west Texas to SoCal, then loaded to around 6,000 pounds on the return trip to Austin, then home empty trailer from Austin to home in Midland County. High winds and lots of 18-wheeler traffic, and not a bobble from my cargo trailer.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 1,200 lbs TW

Note that my ProPride cost an arm and a leg, and my Strait-Line cost over $500 including shank. Any hitch that costs less than about $500 discount price is probably not good enough. Insist on a Reese Strait-Line, or Husky CenterLine, or Equal-I-Zer that retails for around $1,000 including the shank, head, spring bars, and sway control system.

While I do not disagree that the highlighted hitches are helpful there is nothing like size to deal with the weight of a trailer. When the weight of the truck and TT are similar the effect of the weight of the trailer is not as pronounced on the TV as when the trailer outweighs the TV. Yup - size counts.

If the trailer weighs 2 or more times the weight of the TV the effects are proportionally increased. While a better hitch may eliminate much of the sway it is unlikely it will eliminate it all.

I have pulled the same trailer with both a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton was infinitely more stable. The only difference was the heavier suspension on the 3/4 ton.

IMO much of the elimination of sway can be attributed to skilled drivers who drive to conditions and use the experience they have gained through years of towing to drive smoothly in order to counteract much of the sway issue.

An additional item to consider is how the trailer is loaded. Is the amount of weight on the tongue correct or has extra weight been moved to the back of the trailer? When we drove trucks during the winter we added weight over the rear axle. If the weight was added behind the axle it was great until you started to skid, then the weight would take you around.

Many of the truck/trailer combinations I have observed having issues were traveling faster than prudent and over-steering their vehicles.

I agree the hitches mentioned are a good addition to any unit but they should not be considered a panacea that replaces common sense and good driving skills and habits.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used to have a Chevy 3/4 ton with a 350 engine pulling a 26' TT. Sure was underpowered in the mountains here but it did the job, till we traded it for a 17' Type B motorhome.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
trz

I pull a 26 ft TT with my 1/2 Dodge Ram with the 5.7 he I and it pulls just fine.

Haven't been upside down on the side of the road yet but, according to the experts it's just a matter of time. lol
trz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #28

I would agree with everyone about the speed no matter what you're towing with. I've been passed by other TT's while I'm going 60-65mph. They had to be going close to 80, only to see them on the side of the road with a shredded tire a little bit further down the road.