Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Will I be able to bring my TT home

without weight distribution and sway control?

Its got a GVWR of 7500 and an UVW of 5180

We will be pulling it with a Ford F-550 and its about 5 miles from home thru a residential area.

Haleions is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

I would think you should have no problem getting it home with an F-550. When we bought our TT last year I brought it home (about 30 miles w/o WDH) with an F-250 and our TT was at 6500. Purchased everything after that. Sold the TT because of the inconvience of trailer and our needs

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

Be sure to check your hitch, ball mount & ball ratings to make sure that they are not exceeded.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
WITH A FORD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!! A F550 will move a house, so,
a 6500# travel trailer is nothing.. Make sure THE HOOK-UP IS STRONG ENOUGH; HITCH, BALL, ETC.. Residential streets are AWFUL NARROW AND
YOU'LL NEED LOTS OF 'SWING' ROOM... BOTH COMING & GOING...

Enjoy your new rig..

Smooth roads, clear skies & balmy breezes!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleions View Post

We will be pulling it with a Ford F-550 and its about 5 miles from home thru a residential area.
Probably no problem at all.

Check the weight rating of the receiver. There is probably a stamp or embossment or plate on the frame of the receiver near where it attaches to the frame of the truck. It will have a WC (weight carrying) rating and a WD (weight distributed) rating. Ignore the WD rating for now and be sure the WC rating is at least 720/6000. That means 720 pounds hitch weight and 6,000 pounds trailer weight.

UVWs of TTs are notoriously understated, so if you can't obtain a CAT scale ticket, then assume an actual unloaded and dry trailer weight of around 6,000 pounds. And you want about 12 percent hitch weight to minimize the possibility of sway, so the smaller number should be 720 or higher.

With a receiver rated at least 720/6000, next be sure your drawbar/ball mount is also rated for at least 6,000 pounds. And finally, the ball should also be rated for at least 6,000 pounds. And be sure the ball is the right size for the coupler on the trailer - probably two and five-eights inches.

When you hook up the trailer, you want to shift weights in the trailer to increase hitch weight and minimize the possibility of sway. Move anything heavy from behind the trailer axles to in front of the trailer axles. If holding tanks are behind the rear axles, be sure they are empty before you hit the road. If holding tanks are in front of the trailer axles, then maybe add some water to those holding tanks to increasse hitch weight.

Since you have only 5 miles to go, take it slow and easy. About 45 MPH top speed, and be ready to decelerate at any hint of trailer sway.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you really mean an F550 or is your truck an F150...lots of difference here.

ken
Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Do you really mean an F550 or is your truck an F150...lots of difference here.

ken
Its a 550. Big flat bed work truck.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Its a 550. Big flat bed work truck.
looks like this
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Probably no problem at all.

Check the weight rating of the receiver. There is probably a stamp or embossment or plate on the frame of the receiver near where it attaches to the frame of the truck. It will have a WC (weight carrying) rating and a WD (weight distributed) rating. Ignore the WD rating for now and be sure the WC rating is at least 720/6000. That means 720 pounds hitch weight and 6,000 pounds trailer weight.

UVWs of TTs are notoriously understated, so if you can't obtain a CAT scale ticket, then assume an actual unloaded and dry trailer weight of around 6,000 pounds. And you want about 12 percent hitch weight to minimize the possibility of sway, so the smaller number should be 720 or higher.

With a receiver rated at least 720/6000, next be sure your drawbar/ball mount is also rated for at least 6,000 pounds. And finally, the ball should also be rated for at least 6,000 pounds. And be sure the ball is the right size for the coupler on the trailer - probably two and five-eights inches.

When you hook up the trailer, you want to shift weights in the trailer to increase hitch weight and minimize the possibility of sway. Move anything heavy from behind the trailer axles to in front of the trailer axles. If holding tanks are behind the rear axles, be sure they are empty before you hit the road. If holding tanks are in front of the trailer axles, then maybe add some water to those holding tanks to increasse hitch weight.

Since you have only 5 miles to go, take it slow and easy. About 45 MPH top speed, and be ready to decelerate at any hint of trailer sway.
There really wont be anything in the trailer except the cushions for the dinette that could be moved.

The highest posted speed on our route home will be 40, most of the way it will be 35 so we wont worry about going over 45.

Not sure where the holding tanks are, but we will be checking them out that day so I will fill or empty depending on their location.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
CD

I can't believe a F550 wouldn't have plenty of hitch. (good to check though). I have 2 equipment trailers (4K & 6K empty) that I tow with my 3500 without HD bars without any problem. You won't know your TT is there at whatever speed you want to travel (within reason of course).

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I can't believe a F550 wouldn't have plenty of hitch. (good to check though). I have 2 equipment trailers (4K & 6K empty) that I tow with my 3500 without HD bars without any problem. You won't know your TT is there at whatever speed you want to travel (within reason of course).
I was pretty sure it could handle the weight, I just got the impression from this and other RV forums that WD hitches and sway control are necessary for towing a TT.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
CD

Quote:
I was pretty sure it could handle the weight, I just got the impression from this and other RV forums that WD hitches and sway control are necessary for towing a TT.
IMHO sway comes from the TT being able to push the TV around and/or improper loading. With the heavy truck & duals, I don't think it is going to happen.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
IMHO sway comes from the TT being able to push the TV around and/or improper loading. With the heavy truck & duals, I don't think it is going to happen.
Or not enough weight on the hitch ball, too light and you will get sway. Did it once with a utility trailer hauling railroad ties. Loaded them heavy in the back. At about 45 it about threw our 17' Type B MH on a 350 chassis (8,800#'s on the scale) into the ditch. I got it under control and stopped, then I reloaded all the ties the other way. No problem then.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #14

Quote:

This was a joke, right?