Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Question Will I have trouble towing newer fifth wheel?

So, this year end of july, start of august, will be off to Osoyoos B.C., then will be taking Anarchist Summit out of osoyoos up and over the mountain to Rock Creek B.C.
So as we bought a newer and larger fifth wheel which is a 2004 Wilderness lite model 245 RK with one slide out and an overall height of around 12 feet I am wondering now if I will be having any issues as we kept the old truck, a 1996 GMC K2500 with a 454/7.4litre engine long box 4x4 with the 4L80E tranny which has the engine oil cooler, and a tranny cooler, and it has A/C on it I believe the rear end was a 3.73 ratio I have had to replace the radiator last year, and previous to that the dealer had to redo the intake manifolds due to an anti freeze leak and now I am wondering if this truck will handle the load.
And what is the best way to approach a long climb up and a long run back down the other side, no tow haul switch, so what is the best way to set up for going up and down, it does have a tach so I can try and fiind a range to stay in, but should one expect to pull right down into first up and down the hill, I know not to pull in the o/D shift position, any tips?
Went from a 22 foot coachman Catalina to this one, this newer one measures pretty well 24' 6" in length but it is so darn tall and we have only brought it from the dealer in November to the house where it has sat since, it does have marathon tires on it, so hope they will be okay also.

Live life with no regrets.
partsman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Wow cool adventure...I think it's a weight and torque thing...I am sure you'll get the right help...Good Luck....D

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Bigger is always better, but I think you will be OK, My father in-law pulled a trailer that size with his 1978 454, it would be nice to have a 4:10 in the rear, My nephew pulls a 24 ft Jayco with a super slide and a 18 ft ski boat behind the trailer with a 8.1 Chevy gas. I would do it.
2001 Monaco Diplomat 8.3 40ft, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
IA summers, Parker Dam CA winters.
Lued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Don't get in a rush to climb a steep grade. You will quickly find the optimum towing RPM and the automatic transmission will not allow you to lug the engine, BUT, if you notice your temperature gauge climbing you can manually select a lower gear to reduce engine temperature and reduce speed accordingly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Found this little tid bit on a web search, an owners manual I found online does not list my engine size.

GM Suburban C/K25007.4 V-8 10,000
Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Trip to Rock Creek

I don't think you will have a bit of trouble. Your 454 is quite a wheel horse. A 4.10 diff would be the best but a 3.73 is only one notch faster. I would avoid any tendency to let it lug on the long grades - this will help the cooling situation. I drive gross weights up to 45,000 kg. on the farm (class 1 commercial) on the farm. A good rule to remember going down grade is start down at slow speed and descend in the same gear or lower than you would climb a similar grade. Check both your tow vehicle and trailer brakes over well before the trip. A transmission temp gauge might be a good addition. The pull up the Coquhalla to Merit will be every bit as tough as the Anarchist. Good luck - enjoy the new rig - I will watch for your results.

farmer 1024
farmer 1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
So found out one more thing, tire code says these tires were made in 6th week of 2003, so I think after all I have heard that maybe these 8 year old Goodyear Marathons load C ST225/75R15 should be given the old heave ho and new Maxxis that I have used on previous units be purchased instead in a "D" rating at least.
Although they look great, and the tire place I called said they sounded still good, but me thinks I will pull at least on off and take in and let them see them, I bought my last tires from this place in 2005 so they seem to know tires.