Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #1

We have a 2004.5 Dodge Ram quad cab, shortbed, diesel, auto, 4x4 and 3.73 gears. We think we are going to buy a Sunline model 2499 travel trailer that weights in at 7000lbs GVW and is about 26 ft long overall. At that weight or even a little more this truck is still underloaded according to the specs. I still wonder how this rig will feel going down the road...is this truck stable enough to overpower the potential negative effects of towing this trailer. I specifically didn't mention any hitch preferences either...will I really need anything special with this setup or can I use whatever the dealer recommends...I think he sells the Husky brand. Any input will be helpful. Thank you.

BigBob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #2

We have a 2004.5 Dodge Ram quad cab, shortbed, diesel, auto, 4x4 and 3.73 gears. We think we are going to buy a Sunline model 2499 travel trailer that weights in at 7000lbs GVW and is about 26 ft long overall. At that weight or even a little more this truck is still underloaded according to the specs. I still wonder how this rig will feel going down the road...is this truck stable enough to overpower the potential negative effects of towing this trailer. I specifically didn't mention any hitch preferences either...will I really need anything special with this setup or can I use whatever the dealer recommends...I think he sells the Husky brand. Any input will be helpful. Thank you.

BigBob

Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Your Cummins will never break a sweat! The larger challenge will be for your dealer to set up the 5th wheel to tow level while still giving you the needed bed rail clearance - I wouldn't settle for less than 6" with 8" to 9" preferred but probably not reasonably achieveable with your 4x4.

A good, name brand double-pivot 5th wheel hitch will handle a 7K 5th wheel just fine. We've used Reese and B&W - maybe some Husky owners will chip in here with their experiences.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #4

This is not a fifth wheel it's a travel trailer.

BigBob
Old 07-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Oops - sorry, I missed that. My bad!

In that case, concentrate on weight distribution, sway control and have fun!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:08 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
A proper hitch setup and say control and you will be just fine. When towing a 30' TT I used the Reese dual cam sway control weight ditributing hitch, and it towed great.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #7

I've got almost the same truck, except a little older and 2wd. Your truck will actually like the extra load. Mine just sounds happier with the 5'er on the back. Just make sure you have a good brake controller, probably the Produgy is the best choice, a good hitch on the truck, class 3 minimum, and a good wdh and sway controll. The only other problem you'll have is deciding where to go.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM   #8

Big Bob I have the same exact truck you will have to keep checking your mirrors to make sure your trailer is still back there. Make sure get a good set up with sway bars you'll be fine be safe and happy camping. Randy
Old 07-30-2005, 06:28 AM   #9

Thanks to each of you for your responce to my question, but what I was hoping for actually was some actual description of how it will feel..Is it going to buck or kick in a way we will feel in the cab for instance. Just curious how the dymanics of towing a trailer will make itself known to us as we ride along. Thanks again

BigBob
Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 AM   #10

I think you will be happy with the ride. The trailer weight should help smooth out the ride. I have a similar setup only with the a Chevy. The trailer smooths out the ride quite a bit. No bucking or bouncing. Rides and pulls so good you have to make sure the trailer is still back there. Only real problem is crosswind but that isn't too bad. I have pulled in 40 mph crosswinds without too much trouble. I have pulled with and without sway control. On my pickup I can't tell much difference.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #11

Bob,

Ghost Rider will feel just fine. I've pulled both TT and 5'ers with my 04.5 and previous posts about checking your mirrors will likely be true. Under 10k duallies are very happy. I've pulled upwards of 16k with mine, and yes, you could tell it was back there, but not so much that you would feel uncomfortable with it.
I didn't tow with sway control, but that would help in your case, and with dual rears, you should only be able to tell you're towing a trailer by reduced acceleration and occasional bumps from large pot holes. Enjoy and happy RV'ing!