Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Wish people would get a clue!

Just finished a trip from north eastern Nebraska to Myrtle Beach SC and back. I seen a half ton pickup towing a huge 5er and suburban towing big travel trailer. Obviously way over loaded. Not only is the bumper almost dragging they are weaving back and forth because they cant steer and holding up traffic because they cant pull the hills.
What is wrong with these people? Are they so dense they dont know they are putting not only their families lives in danger but everyone around them?
I am not saying I never do anything wrong. I have pulled an over loaded trailer before just a few miles. It was nerve racking and not fun and I never did it again. I cant imaging going a long distance like this.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I do not understand is why they are not pulled over for reckless driving. After all that is what they are doing.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
What I do not understand is why they are not pulled over for reckless driving. After all that is what they are doing.
How would the officer prove his case in court?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

Most state police or highway patrol. Just pray they get out of there area without killing someone. I seen a quad tow the other day. TV, Fver, with tow bar and truck with boat trailer behind it. Truth is they dont want to bother with hundred of tickets and the weight for a tow.
dynacopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

Here is my take: They are brand new to the RV scene and when they went to by the the TT or 5er they aske the salesman "can my truck pull that?"
We can pretty much guess what the salesman said. Hopefully after a couple of trips and talking to experienced RVers in camp grounds they will pick up the knowledge to correct the issue.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder at times when some people are new/inexperienced and are sold a bill of goods if they think what they are experiencing is "normal" and will continue to do it.

After all they show in the advertisements the truck I am driving pulling a locomotive or pulling a stump or log.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #7

Years ago saw a Jeep CJ5 pulling a tandem axle TT. The CJ had 4 adults in it too. Drop on hitch, no WD.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Just finished a trip from north eastern Nebraska to Myrtle Beach SC and back. I seen a half ton pickup towing a huge 5er and suburban towing big travel trailer. Obviously way over loaded. Not only is the bumper almost dragging they are weaving back and forth because they cant steer and holding up traffic because they cant pull the hills.
What is wrong with these people? Are they so dense they dont know they are putting not only their families lives in danger but everyone around them?
I am not saying I never do anything wrong. I have pulled an over loaded trailer before just a few miles. It was nerve racking and not fun and I never did it again. I cant imaging going a long distance like this.
My suburban has a 12k towing capacity. I have a weight distribution / anti sway hitch. What was the towing capacity and hitch set up on the rig you saw? Did you notice?
stiles410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #9

I see lots of the being here in bc canada. My wife and I were almost hit last year when a oncoming truck had a tralier that I spotted swaying as it came towards us I moved all the way over right after he passed us he ended up in our lane and slammed on his brakes to come to a stop. This was on a two lane road scary.

Also last year we were driving I see in front of me I see a big tralier starting to sway as I pull around him to get away from this mess it's a F150 ecoboost with WDH hitch and the tralier is just way to big and heavy as his bumper is still almost dragging.

I am not sure what people are thinking but I really wish the truck and the rv industry would get there crap together before more people get hurt or almost killed. I see no explanation to why a company buliding a tralier can't take 15 mins at the end of a build to drive on to a scale and give the correct number. Some company's do this but not enough.

And same with the truck company telling people they can tow big ass tralier with a small truck. And end of the day it comes down to the commission sales people that we put trust in.

Sorry for the rant but even though I may joke about the weight police on here they really have taught me lots and I thank them for trying to help other people out.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #10

I see stats for the numbers of accidents caused by speeding, drunk driving and lately a lot of "distracted driving" or texting while driving. But, I don't recall seeing many headlines about the vast quantities of accidents caused by all these half ton trucks towing over their weight. It's almost as if it's not really the national crisis that we seem to read about here on these forums. Strange ;-)

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
I think that lots of people that use their camper for weekend and vacations buy a trailer and then tow it with whatever they happen to own at the time.

They only tow maybe 10-15 times a year so they do not, or cannot, afford to buy a tow vehicle that suits the purpose.

They "make do" with what they own, and that can lead to some dangerous combinations.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
they aske the salesman "can my truck pull that?"
We can pretty much guess what the salesman said. .
I am surprised that liability concerns haven't fixed this problem yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromGC View Post
, I don't recall seeing many headlines about the vast quantities of accidents caused by all these half ton trucks towing over their weight. It's almost as if it's not really the national crisis that we seem to read about here on these forums. Strange ;-)
Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
I read a lot of posts on this forum and don't recall any referencing either "vast quantities" nor any "national crisis"... at least until this post.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #13

When asked, they are just doing the best they can with what they have. I usually give them a weight police pass to their destination.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
About 10 years back I remember a family towing a old very large pop-up that had a weight sticker of 2700 lbs. on the pup, add on 3-4 kids and bikes being towed by a small mini-van with, you guessed it, a 4 cylinder. I had to confront the owner to look into their owners manual where it stated the towing cap. was 1000 lbs.... It didn't really seem bother him? And no brake controller. I told him there is going to be a time you will need to stop this thing, and those brakes on this van are not going to do it.... I tried to be as supportive as I could...They just didn't get it.

I own a newer Tundra and have seen them towing high profile sized 5ers...I love my Toyota, but I know it just doesn't have the hitch weight capacity to do the job. I'm very glad Toyota is fully compliant with the new towing standard as of the 2011 model year on all their vehicles. ( J2807 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)) I believe GM will give it a try for 2015 model year.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote